Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

red path birth

(5 Posts)
lucyintheskywithgin Thu 02-Jun-16 23:24:01

Hey, I've just had my booking scan for baby2 and feel a bit deflated.
Dd was induced and born by forceps after epidural at 5.5kg so a biiig girl and a bit of blood loss after and observed in high dependency unit for 9hrs overnight. I didn't think the birth was particularly high risk apart from her size (40wk plus 13days)
I just feel a bit like the rug's been pulled out from my feet with the mw at the appt telling me I'll prob have a consultant led managed birth and that she thinks I prob had gestational diabetes, I definitely didn't. It's ok if it comes to the bit but I was a low risk pregnancy last time and don't foresee any problems this time. Am I just being stupid in feeling like I have no choice in this?? confused I wanted midwife led ... Can it change?

Northernlurker Fri 03-Jun-16 00:49:08

You don't have to accept anything offered but your baby was big and required forceps. That does put you at higher risk of similar complications so I would want to listen to the opinions offered and then decide what care you feel you will accept.

Quodlibet Fri 03-Jun-16 00:54:25

It seems a bit premature for your midwife to be defining how this pregnancy will go? For what it's with I have a friend who had a very large first baby (over 11lb, c section after v long labour) and she was monitored for gestational diabetes in second pregnancy but found not to have it. She was allowed to try for VBAC, and her second baby was a very normal size.

Stumbleine Fri 03-Jun-16 08:17:06

When you say a bit of bleeding how much was a bit? You mention HDU so sounds like it would have been fairly significant?

superwormissuperstrong Fri 03-Jun-16 08:32:41

I was automatically consultant led because of my age. Which meant that I've had extra scans and meetings with consultants. Yes it's a bit annoying but they are simply maintaining a closer eye on your pregnancy because 'on average' there is a higher risk. As it turns out I have nothing to indicate any problems and at 38 weeks have been signed back to midwife care for the actual birth. I think that's the right balance - monitor you more during the pregnancy but if all going smoothly then back to the midwives as term approaches...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now