Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

false positive?? has anybody else had this?

(18 Posts)
emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:32:04

I took a test frer 2 weeks ago it showed positive straight away!!! Definitely a noticeable second pink line my last period was the 10th April Iv since taken 6 more test & there all negative would people say Iv had a false positive? The test what have shown negative are a first response, clear blue, £1 cheap ones & eBay cheap ones
This is a picture of my positive

ShowOfHands Thu 02-Jun-16 09:40:52

False positives are very rare. It could also be a chemical pregnancy, non viable pregnancy, user error, evaporation etc.

How late is your period? Are you feeling well?

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 02-Jun-16 09:43:37

I would agree with the poster above - if you go to your GP and say you've had a positive test, they generally won't do another test to be sure because it's so unlikely that a positive test could be wrong.

False negatives are more likely.

emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:49:45

Iv totally missed my period through May I'm due on again on Sunday?? My last one was 10th April Iv been feeling more tired than usual and I have days I feel sick but hen days I'm just feeling my normal self... I really don't no I can't see 6 test saying negative and being wrong when on 1 is saying positive xx

Jodie1982 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:25:04

Have you seen a doctor?
My last period was also 10th April. Day of missed period I did only the 1 test it showed positive. Haven't tested since. The doctor didn't even test my urine. Just sent off a referal.
I think you need to see a doctor explain your positive test n then negatives. It sure looks like positive test imo.
I don't keep testing as I know it'll drive me insane if a test looks different.

Ellie06 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:27:15

It could be that you had a chemical pregnancy, esp if it was early the hormone levels in your urine would probably decrease rapidly. I'd wait and see if your period arrives. If it doesn't then go and see a doctor.

emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 15:06:50

It's so confusing we are trying for a babe (my second) I should be rights be on again Sunday so going to see if that period comes all people keep saying to me is your can't have a false positive but I obviously have it gone from this to that confused

InanimateCarbonRod Thu 02-Jun-16 15:08:56

The line on the test is too far over the right than would be normally. I'm sorry but I think you got a dud test. I hope I'm wrong.

emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 15:19:20

On this one?

Ellie06 Thu 02-Jun-16 16:48:42

Did you do all the tests with the same urine sample and on the same day? If not it is very possible you got a positive with one and not another. First morning urine is more concentrated and all the tests have different sensitivities. It is pretty much impossible to get a false positive as you need the hormone there for the test to work.

emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 18:00:33

No I didn't do all the test in the same wee I have used a different wee everytime the positive test was the first one I did then did another later that night it showed positive Iv done a further 6 and all negative but I haven't done another first response early response because I thought if I was pregnant any test would show up positive by now surely xx

EllenDegenerate Thu 02-Jun-16 18:54:01

No early response tests are more sensitive, they will show positive when other tests remain negative.
Either buy another early response test or wait four days and retest with a normal one.
You could be in very early pregnancy. Good luck.

emmalou26 Thu 02-Jun-16 19:13:41

Thank you but I did an early response 2 weeks ago and today a cheap test showed negative surely after 2 weeks of having a positive it would show up now wouldn't it?? Am confused lol xx

Ellie06 Thu 02-Jun-16 19:24:35

What could have happen is that you were pregnant at one point, the first test you did picked this up. Could have been that the hormone level was just high enough to register at that point or your urine was particularly concentrated. After that unfortunately it looks like the pregnancy didn't stick and the egg didn't implant properly so your hormone levels dropped and you are no longer getting positive tests. Up to 75% of pregnancies are lost in this way, often before someone even realises they are pregnant. It's known as a chemical pregnancy, the process starts and it can be picked up on a very sensitive home test, but then very soon after the pregnancy is lost.

All pregnancy tests are very different, first response is very sensitive whereas others need a lot more hormone to get a positive but if you were still pregnant I would expect some of these to be working now.

The other option is that it could be an ectopic pregnancy, these often have very low hormone levels which make them very difficult to detect.

I would suspect at this point that you probably were pregnant but you aren't anymore, sorry.

fitzbilly Thu 02-Jun-16 19:45:12

I would agree with Ellie, it is very common, you probably were pregnant but are no longer pregnant. I'm sorry.

gingerbreadmanm Thu 02-Jun-16 19:54:17

Hey, i'm sorry but that test looks like a duff. There seems to be three lines on it.

I had a false positive once. I did do the test wrong (dipped it in the loo) then got a strong positive that faded off after about half an hour.

bonzo77 Thu 02-Jun-16 20:00:51

You should throw the test away after 10 minutes. Anything that appears for the first time after 10 minutes could be an evaporation line. Is that first photo from 2 weeks ago a picture you took when you did it, or a photo taken recently? I think it looks like an evap line (visible but not pink). Sorry, I really think you are not pregnant. I'd definitely see your GP if your period doesn't show soon. It might be that you've had a chemical pregnancy that hasn't passed, or there's something else going on. And if you are pregnant after all then it's time to access antenatal care.

emmalou26 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:15:19

I took it within 5 minutes of the test the line came up in minutes Im taking it I ain't pregnant maybe it was jut a false positive thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now