Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan advice

(11 Posts)
nervoussam Wed 01-Jun-16 15:59:36

Hi everyone. Hoping for some advice, I have a big family event the day I become 12 weeks and it will be pretty much impossible to hide the fact I'm not drinking. (Family know my love of wine, been trying and we're staying away with family so being the driver isn't an option either).
I was hoping to see if I could request my 12 week scan to be in the day or two before this, is it possible/likely/impossible?
I will ask at my midwife appt next week anyway (don't ask/don't get!) but any experience from those when they had their scan booked would be much appreciated!!!

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 01-Jun-16 16:10:41

My 12 week scan was at 12 weeks and 3 days for this pregnancy. Can't remember for the others.

I think the screening tests for Down's, Edwards' and Patau's syndromes can be done between 10 and 14 weeks, so having the 12 week scan slightly before 12 weeks shouldn't be a problem there.

There's no harm in asking the midwife though. My 12 week scan appointment was made by my midwife during my booking appointment - she rang the hospital about it while I was there - so there was certainly the chance to ask about preferred days / times (although that wouldn't guarantee you getting a date before 12 weeks if they were already fully booked,of course).

INeedNewShoes Wed 01-Jun-16 16:14:45

There's no harm in asking.

If it's not possible on the NHS and you have the means, you could always pay for a private scan (seem to be available from around £80).

Wolfiefan Wed 01-Jun-16 16:17:14

My 12 week scan was over 13 weeks.
Claim you are on medication?
Or pay for private?

BorisIsBack Wed 01-Jun-16 17:16:50

My scan was at 11 weeks, not by choice particularly that's just what I got. At my local hospital you can call up to rearrange appointments with the booking people once you have your original date and time (and therefor are on the system).

seven201 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:39:09

My appointment just arrived through the post and was at 13 and a bit weeks.

MsFiremanSam Wed 01-Jun-16 17:57:54

Depends on your hospital. Mine are really stretched and lots of people here aren't getting scans at all. I got a cancellation at 13+5 at a really inconvenient time but gratefully took it!

nervoussam Wed 01-Jun-16 18:46:15

Well I'll see what the midwife says. Obviously I'm grateful for the scan full stop and hugely looking forward to it. Was just hoping the timing could help with a potentially sticky social situation. We will see!
(Basically taken a long time to conceive and had some help so I don't want to tell people before we have the ok at that scan, I'd be devastated to then have to tell them something went wrong)

hellooo1 Wed 01-Jun-16 20:53:45

Say you're going away for a considerable amount of time and would like the scan to be as close as possible to the 12 week mark, or you could explain the situation with the family- they might be able to fit you in or keep you in mind for any cancellations, congratulationsflowers

wispaxmas Wed 01-Jun-16 20:56:16

Yeah, it can be as early as 11 weeks and still measure the nuchal translucency. Trouble would be that if you measure even a day earlier than 11 weeks they won't be able to.

Ffion3107 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:00:28

Aah congratulations, if the family are likely to ask, tell them you've stopped drinking as you're trying for a baby or that you're on medication.
Good luck with the scan, it's the hospital you'll need to contact, your midwife won't have the date of your scan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now