Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

weight gain first trimester

(27 Posts)
lr12345 Tue 31-May-16 21:43:59

14 +1 and just weighed myself and discovered I've put on half a stone since finding out I was pregnant shock

I'm 5foot 11 and my pre pregnancy weight was 12 stone 3 but it's shot up over the last few weeks.

What was everyone else weight gain like during the first trimester? How much did you gain all together?

missybct Tue 31-May-16 21:49:17

I gained about 3lbs in first trimester - I had no actual sickness and nausea was only abated with food.

I'm now midway through 2nd trimester (23 weeks) and have only gained a further 5lbs. I've actually lost weight in several places, although my overall weight hasn't gone down certain areas have toned.

bringonthrsummer Wed 01-Jun-16 16:32:41

I'm 20 weeks and have still lost 3-4lbs from my booking in appt at 8 weeks! God knows what's going on! Baby is growing fine so I'm not worried X

EllenDegenerate Wed 01-Jun-16 16:35:24

I'm 13 weeks and I've gained three pounds.

limeandsoda93 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:15:16

I think I gained 7lbs between 4weeks and my booking at 9weeks! I had bad nausea and eating helped so I guess it was that combined with the bloat. I wouldn't worry, things often even themselves out, you're unlikely to put on weight at the same rate throughout. I gained most rapidly during 1st trimester. smile

Jojoclaire Fri 03-Jun-16 10:43:38

Does anyone else take pregnancy vitamins? I'm having two of the sainaburys ones a day (when I remember) but there was a programme on BBC 1 last night that said vitamins are a waste of time and could even be dangerous? Apart from folic acid, is anyone else talking special vits? Do you think they work?

Jojoclaire Fri 03-Jun-16 10:44:13

Oops, wrong chat! Sorry!!

LBNM19 Fri 03-Jun-16 17:03:31

I've gained 6lbs and only 8 weeks. I have been eating rubbish rather than meals and feeling very sick. I want back to my slimming world group today as I really don't want to put on to much weight x

Junosmum Fri 03-Jun-16 17:25:01

-8lbs in first trimester, 2 gain stone overall. Only lost 1 post birth and working on the other 1!

I'm 16+5 and am down 3lb. I had gained 2lb by 13w But then was poorly and lost 10lb in 7 days. Been trying to get some of that back ever since!!

dividedmansions Fri 03-Jun-16 19:14:22

Lol. I'd gained 2 stone by 20 weeks - would have been quite pleased with half a stone!!!

LaPharisienne Fri 03-Jun-16 19:19:42

I'm 37 weeks and have put on nearly three stone - most of it went on in the first half of the pregnancy. I felt really awful in the firs trimester particularly and the only thing that made me feel better were starchy carbs...

Pretty depressing.

shhhhSleeping Fri 03-Jun-16 19:23:41

I'm 12 wks today and have so far gained in the same way as last pregnancy... put on half a stone in the first 3 or 4 weeks after finding out (partly combating nausea but mostly a raging appetite!) Haven't gained anything in the last 4 weeks since appetite has settled down.

Far more than the guidelines say for first trimester, but I had an OK bmi to start with and didn't struggle to lose the 2.5st I put on in total last time so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

LaPharisienne Fri 03-Jun-16 20:39:18

That is so great to hear... I am a bit worried the weight gain is a one way street!

BabyBumpHopeful Sat 04-Jun-16 04:00:00

At 11 weeks I'd lost 14lbs. Having another appointment on Monday (13 weeks) and willing to bet I've gained some of that back.

Mine's probably more to do with the metformin they put me on for insulin resistance (which subsequently helped us conceive!)

Thelittleredhead Sat 04-Jun-16 06:12:36

I posted one of these threads at about 12 weeks and was really disheartened by all the women saying "oh I've lost weight" or "oh I gained a total of 2lb in my first trimester" when I'd gained about 8! But it's actually slowed down since then and in the 7 weeks since I've only gained another 3, so I guess everyone is different.

A lot of mine was bloating and water retention in my first trimester I think, and the rest- well I can only assume it's blood, placenta, and (the main culprit) boobs as I haven't actually really changed size and am still wearing all but my tightest pre-preg clothes at almost 19 weeks.

I don't think your weight gain sounds anything to worry about. Congrats on your pregnancy!

Macauley Sun 05-Jun-16 11:10:27

Not sure as not weighed myself but I know I'm gaining weight. I've got really bad nausea that only is relieved by eating so it's either a choice of lying still and feeling crap or putting on weight cake

Alicekeach Sun 05-Jun-16 11:15:07

I'm ten weeks and so far I've lost 9lb due to morning sickness. I can only eat a little bit at a time and I've gone off most of my favourite foods. So far, pregnancy is the most effect diet I've ever been on. sad

Marshpillow Sun 05-Jun-16 11:53:30

I'm 16 weeks and I've put on 10lbs. With my DD put on 4 stone!

LaPharisienne Mon 06-Jun-16 10:16:56

Did you lose it afterwards Marshpillow?

dividedmansions Mon 06-Jun-16 10:34:00

I put on 4st as well. DS now 12 weeks and lost 2 stone but still 2 more to go. It is slowly going but I can see the last stone being quite stubborn.

LaPharisienne Mon 06-Jun-16 10:38:13

Wow - amazing work dividedmansions. It's great to hear positive stories smile

dividedmansions Mon 06-Jun-16 11:04:54

I can't say I've done anything really other than breastfeed!!!

LaPharisienne Mon 06-Jun-16 11:29:58

Even better smile

Salene Mon 06-Jun-16 11:35:41

At 14 weeks I'd put on 2lbs

I'm now 31 weeks and I've put on 1 stone exactly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now