Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

35 weeks itchy hands...help

(11 Posts)
frikadela01 Mon 30-May-16 23:17:58

I'm 35 weeks and the past couple of days my hands, especially the palms and my fingers, are so itchy at night.

I use hand cream regularly so they aren't dry, just insanely itchy.

Is this just some stupid pregnancy thing? And if it is what can I do to stop it?

wowbutter Mon 30-May-16 23:19:37

Can't that be a sign of liver failure?

WellErrr Mon 30-May-16 23:20:42

Yes, tell your midwife ASAP.

frikadela01 Mon 30-May-16 23:25:32

Christ I've googled it now sad I'm seeing the midwife tomorrow so will ask her about it.

PickledLilly Tue 31-May-16 22:01:33

Yes, ask your midwife, they will
Do blood tests to check for cholestasis. For Christ sake, don't google anymore, Its not nearly as bad in my experience as googling would lead you to believe. Don't panic and it could just be general pregnancy itching anyway.

frikadela01 Tue 31-May-16 22:45:46

Midwife took bloods to test for obstetric cholestasis and seeing the consultant next Monday anyway.

She was very reassuring and just said not to worry and worse case scenario at this stage is early induction but shes come across it loads, large proportion of her caseload is of Asian descent and its apparently more common in that group and she has never had a bad outcome related to the OC in10 years.

PickledLilly Tue 31-May-16 22:47:37

Like I said, Dr Google really isn't helpful sometimes! If you want to know anything about my experience of cholestasis, just ask.

frikadela01 Tue 31-May-16 22:53:10

Thankyou. Were you induced early?

PickledLilly Wed 01-Jun-16 20:35:19

I was booked to be induced at term rather than early, it seems to be different at every care trust! As it happened I went into labour naturally a couple of days earlier anyway (though had to be induced when labour didn't progress fast enough)

This time they said in my trust they don't even generally induce at term for cholestasis anymore and assuming your bile levels aren't really horrendous they will let you go overdue now.

frikadela01 Wed 01-Jun-16 22:12:35

That's very reassuring. Thankyou.

Google has been the bloody devil during this pregnancy.

cheekstime Thu 02-Jun-16 14:37:29

Hi OP something you no doubt have considered but just incase I had itching fingers palms and backs (not the serious type itching/liver). Dr said it was hormones. Nothing would stop itching I had to use cream all the time.

What turned out fo rme was changing the soaps I was using they had perfum in (albeit natural!). I now use green people no scent and put their cream on and it went away.

Never had to take the perscription from the dr in the end (had bad stuff in). I think it was the limonene in it (in a load of house/home/body products. There was a breakthrough study on th enews a ffew months about that chemical. Ive only been allergic from pregnancy 2nd trimester.

Annoying skin blossom who claim to be oragnic and all the rest have aromatherapy oils in (also an irritate and shockingly goes through the placenta to baby becasue molecules are so small. When I phoned them they said its legal and they use the safe herbals (their shampoo has rosemary in which isn't safe for baby). Godsmacekd when you think you are doing the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now