Talk

Advanced search

Persistent UTI...help!

(3 Posts)
FirstTimeInForever Sun 29-May-16 18:49:56

So I'm now 26 weeks pregnant with baby number 3 and am on my fourth UTI. I'm allergic to penicillin so have been prescribed four lots of cefalexin.

I only get a fortnight maximum before the UTI returns. I don't get any classic symptoms such as burning when I go to the loo but I am going more often (usually have the bladder of a camel even when I'm pregnant) and I get an aching feeling in my kidneys when I need to go to the loo. I go to the loo as soon as I get the feeling that I need to go and drink absolutely loads throughout the day as I have incredible thirst but the worst side effect of the UTIs is the extreme fatigue. It's completely debilitating.

I'm worried how these infections might affect my pregnancy (I haven't consulted Dr Google as yet!) and also whether anyone had any advice? Oh, and I'll be having a third section not later than 37 weeks due to many, many issues if that's relevant to responses!

MintyBojingles Sun 29-May-16 19:56:19

I had three in a row early on, followed all the NHS advice about showers not bath, pee as soon as you need to - go back and pee 5 mins later especially before bed, wee after sex, no soap down below, cotton panties, loose clothes, cranberry juice, drink loads, and so far so good!

seven201 Mon 30-May-16 01:36:54

I sympathise. I'm 36+5 and have had 5 UTIs and am now on 2 amoxiclav a day for the rest of my pregnancy and it just always comes straight back so in theory this should keep it at bay. I do have existing kidney issues and have developed hydroneohrosis (sp) in this pregnancy. Have you asked about that? It's common in pregnancy and basically the kidneys swell and can get a bit blocked. Mind you they won't do anything about it well they won't with me. I was sent for a kidney scan at I think 32 ish weeks which is where they discovered it. I don't find anything helps except treatment and pain killers - I have some co-codamol for when the kidney pain is really bad. My pain used to be worse at night and I did ask urologist why that might be and he said possibly I was drinking a bit too much in the evening - that helps a bit but I'm not sure if it really does or is a bit psychological.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now