Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(17 Posts)
climbingcheesecake Sun 29-May-16 07:50:47

Hi,
I've put on around 5kgs at 4/5 months and my midwife said that I need to be careful because people generally put more weight on in the second half of their pregnancy.
I started at a normal weight, and fit and active.
Did anyone put less weight on later on? I am quite worried that I will put on too much now.
Thanks.

orangebird69 Sun 29-May-16 07:54:27

I lost weight at first...obviously I put weight back on but only about 20 lbs. Up until that last 6 weeks I was careful about what I ate. The last 6 weeks I may as well have IVd Snickers bars... I carried quite neatly though and baby wasn't massive (3.44kg). Breastfeeding got my tummy back to normal in about 10 days.

readingrainbow Sun 29-May-16 07:57:13

I tend to put on weight in the early stages, as I have a limited list of foods that I can eat, usually crappy junk. Once the ms slows down, I can eat better. You aren't a machine; you won't be gaining weight at a steady rate. Try to stay away from refined sugars and you'll be fine.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sun 29-May-16 09:23:59

What were you like before pregnancy? A healthy BMI ?

A LOT of women see pregnancy as a reason to eat for two. It's simply not required. I'm sure it's actually only the last trimester you need more calories- only a few hundred a day.

skankingpiglet Sun 29-May-16 11:05:36

My personal experience of the weight gain charts have found them wholly inaccurate. As your midwife said most women put on the bulk of the weight towards the end of their pregnancies. I'm 35wks with DC2 and in both pregnancies have put on over half the weight in the first tri, virtually nothing in the second, and then slow gain in the third. Last time I chunked on a bit in the last two weeks, and I expect the same will happen this time too. Both times I started with a 'normal' BMI.

Flisspaps Sun 29-May-16 11:12:20

Lots of women aren't weighed at all during pregnancy except at booking in - it's very difficult to tell what's fat from what is baby and fluid.

climbingcheesecake Sun 29-May-16 11:18:50

Does anyone know what causes the weight gain? Does your metabolism change or something? I am eating pretty much normally now - same, if not less than before due to decrease in exercise. My bmi is normal.

Wellthen Sun 29-May-16 12:06:13

The weight is the pregnancy surely?! Your body does lay down fat stores but you also double your blood volume, produce amniotic fluid, grow both a placenta and baby and the uterus grows enormously.

Ive been told constantly throughout this pregnancy (36 weeks) that I haven't put on any weight and I'm all bump. If so, then my bump weighs 12kg as that's what I've put on.

If you've only put on 5 now, you could gain double that again and still have normal weight gain in pregnancy.

Tealeaf321 Sun 29-May-16 16:16:58

I have put on around 30 lbs and I'm 22 weeks. I quit smoking which didn't help and was eating what I want when I want. I'm in the first week of watching what I eat now and although far from dieting am making better decisions. I plan to breastfeed and starve when baby is here.

climbingcheesecake Sun 29-May-16 19:18:22

I suppose it is just the pregnancy wellthen, I just wondered why some people seem to put more weight on then others, and it seems a lot! I guess we are all different.
I don't envy you have to quit smoking at the same time as being pregnant tealeaf, that must be hard. I quit a few years ago, and struggled to not eat all the time.

Dixiechick17 Sun 29-May-16 23:48:40

I put on a stone and a half in the first 20 weeks, started off with a low BMI, by the end of pregnancy I had put on a total of 4 stone, I had a lot of water retention, diet wasn't too bad. It all came off pretty quickly though post birth,my midwife never seemed concerned.

MsFiremanSam Mon 30-May-16 19:45:25

11llbs doesn't sound much to me by 5 months. You're half way so even if you double it you'll still only gain the recommended amount.
Not sure your midwife's comment was that helpful! In many women it could lead to an over focus on weight gain which is often something pregnant women struggle with. Weight gain is so different depending on the pregnancy and the individual.
Enjoy your pregnancy!

Thelittleredhead Mon 30-May-16 20:10:48

I'm 18 weeks today and have gained 5kg- I saw my OBGYN earlier and she said my weight gain is perfect, she wasn't worried in the slightest. I haven't even got much bigger yet, I'm still wearing all but my smallest, tightest clothes and have just lost my waist a bit and filled out in the face.

I'm 5'8 and was 144lb to start with, so a prett normal, average weight.

Hope that reassures you a bit!

YouSay Mon 30-May-16 20:13:40

I have a low bmi. I put 12 pounds on in the first tri. 10 pounds in the second and 5 in the last. It was all gone three months pp.

Tumtitum Mon 30-May-16 20:50:00

I put on 6kg really quickly in the first trimester. I was very slim and got quite worried I was going to get huge! It was due to eating mountains of toast as it was the only thing that stopped me feeling sick. Once that passed around 20 weeks I went back to eating normally and didn't put on any weight at all in the second trimester. I only started gaining again in the last few weeks (which was also over Christmas and I definitely overrate!!!). In total I think I put on about 12kg but almost immediately lost about 8kg without doing anything in the first few weeks. Don't worry, if you are healthy and active your body will do what it needs.

PinkParsnips Mon 30-May-16 21:04:32

I'm 24 weeks and have put on about 15 pounds and my BMI was already 30 blush

It didn't help that I was on weight watchers when I fell pregnant which I had to stop and then felt so ill for 10 weeks that I needed bread and lots of mints / boiled sweets to curb the sickness! I'm following slimming world now to try and curb any more weight gain. I have a consultant appointment tomorrow as I have PCOS and I'm really worried he's going to weigh me and tell me off!

climbingcheesecake Mon 30-May-16 21:55:09

thanks for the reassuring posts.
it is hard to let go and accept the weight gain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now