Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please please help...

(15 Posts)
emmabrown123 Sun 29-May-16 07:41:13

Feel so daft posting this but I'm in desperate need of help. I'm 29 weeks pregnant.

I've had a cold for a few days and now have a really severe tickley cough. I've been up since 3am and haven't stopped coughing since, been sick 5 times. I'm in absolute agony with pelvis pain, rib pain and back pain. And worst of all now have horrendous stress incontinence, to the point where I'm having to sit on one of DS's nappies.

My husband is away and I have a 2 year old to cope with, I just don't know what to do. I can't go to the pharmacy because I literally wet myself every time I cough (every 30 seconds!). I've tried honey and lemon, steam, even taken DH's inhaler.

Am at my wits end and in so much pain. I have some dihydrocodeine in the cupboard which I was prescribed pre-pregnancy but worried about taking that now (have read codeine can be a cough suppressant). I'm in such a mess, please any advice or ideas that might help would be so gratefully accepted.

SolomanDaisy Sun 29-May-16 07:43:48

Have you got any Vicks? Or throat lozenges? Cough medicines aren't that helpful anyway, but is there anyone who can bring you some?

DocMcFanjo Sun 29-May-16 07:45:20

Take the codeine. It's safe in pregnancy.
flowers and brew for you. Sounds awful.

mum2benicole Sun 29-May-16 07:50:19

I would be calling for some help just as a precaution call the midwifes there jobs to help you I took codine when pregnant I was prescribed it for pelvic pain but was very mild strength do you have anyone nanna or friend that could look after little one while you went and got checked over? Could be nothing but best to get looked over make sure everything OK with baby and you x

emmabrown123 Sun 29-May-16 07:57:33

Thanks ladies for your speedy replies. My mum lives abroad and in laws are on holiday. Sister is away at a wedding and can't face explaining my predicament to anyone else!! DH is on his way home from Swansea now so have given him a list of things to get from the pharmacy, including heavy duty Tena's.

Think I've got an old pack of Strepsils in the cupboard. Might try those. Have stuck CBeebies on for DS.

It's getting harder to breathe and talk between bouts of coughing so might have to call 111. Hopefully they won't laugh at me for ringing up about a cough!

DomesticAnarchist Sun 29-May-16 08:12:32

I has an awful cough at 39-40 weeks earlier this year.

Firstly, ring the OOHs doc, they should be able to give you a prescription for something with codeine in it.

In the mean time - I laughed at DM when she suggested hot lemon and honey, as if it would even touch it?! We didn't have any lemon either.

Not long after I was ready to try anything so made myself a hot orange squash (classy) with a bit of honey in it. It was actually really soothing. Do try it.

Hope you feel better soon.

AprilSkies44 Sun 29-May-16 16:03:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DropYourSword Sun 29-May-16 16:05:22

Not even joking here but apparently chocolate also works well as a cough suppressant.

emmabrown123 Sun 29-May-16 18:12:45

Wow Dropyoursword that's possibly the best tubing I've heard all day. Googled it, showed DH the proof and sent him straight to the shop! Thanks! chocolate

emmabrown123 Sun 29-May-16 18:13:05

*thing

AnUtterIdiot Sun 29-May-16 18:19:17

I had a chest infection in early pregnancy and had the cough/wee thing. Every time I moved I coughed. I remember staggering round the park with the dog in 30 second bursts: two steps, pause, squeeze thighs together, cough, spurt, flood of wee. It's because your ligaments are all softened and it is crap. I bought maxi strength Tenalady and made sure I had spare pants with me. But actually the Tenas were pretty good. Hot bath worked very well for coaxing out the coughs whilst being safe for weeing in although I did shower off afterwards smile

Good luck, OP, you'll be fine once the Tenas arrive!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 29-May-16 18:22:02

Sorry, you tried the steam already. I couldn't find anything that gave more than temporary relief for the coughs but that was a chesty infectiony cough so hopefully the chocolate will crack yours!

emmabrown123 Sun 29-May-16 18:23:08

Tena's have arrived! And much better for it. Have managed to go out for a little bit of fresh air. The most annoying thing is when I go to the toilet there's nothing to wee out, yet when I cough it's still coming blush

DropYourSword Mon 30-May-16 00:54:53

grinchocolate

Dixiechick17 Mon 30-May-16 05:18:20

At night sleep as upright as possible on a mass of pillows, as soon as you are more horizontal the cough will kick in more and with the hot water and lemon sip it really slowly to try and coat your throat a bit. Hope it goes soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now