Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant at Glastonbury 2016

(14 Posts)
MrsLen Thu 26-May-16 17:52:16

Hi ladies,

Can I please ask for some advice.

I have tickets for Glastonbury and will be heading with 6 friends when I'm 20 weeks pregnant.

I'm really excited and looking forward to it and as I've been before I know what to expect so am well prepared. Midwife has also no concerns and they have lots of medical centres onsite if anything happens.

My concern is my rucksack. I won't be bringing a lot with me but will have this on my back for a few hours so am thinking it will balance me out! As DH isn't coming I can't expect any of my friends to carry my bag along with their own.

So what I need to know is do you think I am crazy!
And more importantly has anyone gone before and had to Hi ladies,

Can I please ask your advice?

I have tickets for Glastonbury and will be heading with 6 friends - I'll be 20 weeks when I'm there.

I'm really excited and looking forward to it and as I've been before I know what to expect so am well prepared. Midwife has also no concerns and they have lots of medical centres onsite if anything happens.

My concern is my rucksack. I won't be bringing a lot with me but will have this on my back for a few hours so am thinking it will balance me out!

So what I need to know is had anyone gone to a festival and carried their own rucksack?
Looking at past year threads people had their DH or DP with them so it wasn't an issue.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions as this is first DC I don't know what to expect at 20 weeks. Xx

ShrimpNGrits Thu 26-May-16 18:30:36

It's so hard to predict as everyone is different. I'm 20 weeks at the moment and if it's a standard sized rucksack then I'd be okay with it, it's not one of those huge travelling type rucksacks is it op?
Worst comes to the worst could a friend help you with it? Would it be just until you've got your tent up?

Vampishtortoise Thu 26-May-16 18:59:40

I got a trolley from ikea, it's about 11quid fits loads in and has massive wheels so can get through the mud, we take it every time we go a festival as it's perfect, think like an old woman shopping trolley but bigger and in bright trendy colours!

scaredofthecity Thu 26-May-16 19:11:49

I think a rucksack will be fine and it's not like it's gonna be full of the usual booze! Oh hang on you mean a big one? It'll Probs be alright for a bit but keep it light.

I did a festival at a similar time, my advice is to make sure you've got something proper to sleep on, a proper camp bed will be worth it if you can take one. Also camp in the quiet area as you'll really need your sleep.

And take more stuff than you usually would, you definately have higher standards at a festival when your sober. I mean changes of clothes and warm layers, wet weather gear ect.

Oh and a head torch and those little packs of tissues for the loos. I did consider one of those travel loos for the night but it was OK in the end.

Enjoy. It'll be the last one for a while smile

scaredofthecity Thu 26-May-16 19:15:50

I looked back and saw you were asking specifically about rucksacks.
Honestly I did struggle with mine and DH helped a lot but I had the beginnings of spd which made everything harder.
Are you driving? Can you use one of the private bag carriers. I think they're pricy but it's only a one off. Tbh I would avoid public transport if you can. I did it with my husband and it was still pretty horrendous.

MrsLen Thu 26-May-16 20:48:46

Thanks for the advice ladies. Will get a camp bed to make things easier and my friend is going to drive so thankfully we don't have to do the bus!!

Will look at the trolley as that could save some unwanted back ache.

Also didn't think too much about change of clothes but you're right, I'll be more aware of the cold this time round. Xx

mrsmugoo Fri 27-May-16 10:36:53

I've been to umpteen Glastonburys and lots of other festivals - pregnant and with babies!

I would say you'll be perfectly fine at 20 weeks, it's probably the best time to go to a festival pregnant as you're over the first trimester sickness and tiredness but showing enough for people to recognise you're pregnant so as not to bump into you it also small enough that you'll still be comfy in bed.

Have a great time! I'm missing it for the first time since 1999 as I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant sad

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 27-May-16 12:47:19

Why will you be carrying a rucksack for a few hours? The car parks/ coach stations are reasonably close so I can't see you carrying it for more than an hour. Or do you mean a 'daily' rucksack?

I went to Glastonbury when I was 18 weeks, but we had a caravan! It was also gorgeous weather that year so loads of light weight clothes.

Currently almost 15 weeks and commute to London once a week with quite a large rucksack in my back (for laptop, work shoes to change into etc). It's been ok. I go on the basis that my centre of gravity has changed so the rucksack on my back compensates for the extra weight 'up front'! I'm sure you'll be fine op. Have an amazing time - I did! Despite lack of alcohol...

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 27-May-16 22:45:53

I went a few years ago at 12 weeks and it was difficult. I got friends to help with a lot of the carrying, but then they were sharing my tent so they couldn't complain grin
Didn't have any other issues apart from needing the loo all the time and needing to eat constantly though. I reckon the trolley sounds like a good plan if you can't get help carrying.

LemonShizzleCake Fri 27-May-16 23:10:34

Hi MrsLen! I am going to be 18 weeks at Glastonbury...see you there wink

We are taking the coach from Bristol and travelling with friends - DH is coming with me so will be able to take some of the heavy stuff, but I think it'll be ok with a not-too-heavy pack on my back for an hour or two while we're getting in. I just need to be v smart about what I pack so that I have enough layers of clothes without overloading us! Am also budgeting a few extra quid to buy a folding chair once we get in...am thinking I'll want somewhere to sit down, especially if it gets muddy...

But aside from that, my plan is to camp in a quiet bit near some toilets, familiarise myself with the first aid points, take sunscreen and drink loads of water. Maybe hang out in the green fields and do some pregnancy yoga grin Oh, and listen to some music, probably!

Liss85 Sat 28-May-16 17:02:52

What I would recommend is Travel Johns for toilet breaks during the night. I used to get them just to be lazy but given the amount you will need to pee during the night, they'll be well worth the money.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=traveljohn&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=32160981969&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=867584014244470265&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_2n3s6vx8if_b

SmallBee Sat 28-May-16 17:16:26

Hi op!

I haven't been myself but funnily enough came across this... undertheappletree.uk/pregnant-at-a-festival hopefully it might be helpful. Congratulations!

Icedsilhouette Sat 11-Jun-16 17:27:02

Hiya, I would say that at 20 weeks you should generally be fine, albeit every pregnancy is different. I'm going to be 30 weeks when it rolls around, but I've opted to stay at a travelodge. With it being my first pregnancy I couldn't imagine whether I'd be OK camping or not but I'm definitely glad we made that decision now! Have a brilliant Glastonbury!

DappledThings Sat 11-Jun-16 18:42:28

I was 17 weeks at Green Man last year. Hired a trolley to get everything from car to site but I assume at Glastonbury you have to go further.

Only issue was getting fed up with getting up to pee every night so a few times held it in and ended up with a UTI!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now