Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

11 + 2 and NIPT gender results

(11 Posts)
YoungGirlGrowingOld Thu 26-May-16 15:57:00

Just found out that the anomaly testing came back low risk (yay!) and I am having a boy. In my head it was 100% baby girl and I already bought pink stuff with kittens on

Feeling a bit lost. I have sisters, all really close as we all are to DM and my DF is dead - I don't really have any men I am close to other than DH. (He is a career boy - not into all the baby stuff!)

Can anyone relate? Will I get used to the idea? Can someone clueless about all things make be a good mother to a boy? <runs around panicking>

NapQueen Thu 26-May-16 16:00:06

I have a boy and a girl. Their differences at the moment really aren't down to their sex. They just are who they are. I imagine there will become bigger changes as they grow but I've no experience of that yet. They are 4.4 (dd) and 18mo (ds). The only actual difference is his nappy is harder to change after poos - so much extra equipment down there for poop to stick to.

Oh and I've found it harder buying boys clothes I like but that means I've spent less.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Thu 26-May-16 17:31:02

Yes I am a bit worried about managing the old bathroom equipment - the only time I have changed a boy's nappy (my cousin, years ago) he peed in my face.

I think I just had this image in my head of a girl and now I am trying to adjust my expectations! The main thing is that the anomaly results are fine and the baby is healthy. smile

Thank you for your reply.

NapQueen Thu 26-May-16 18:21:51

Honestly you won't mind by the time he is here. I wanted a second girl when I was pg with DS (wanted two of same gender whatever had come first) - so to find out it was a boy was a bit of a surprise, though dh was of course on pins!

But he is the most loving and characterful little man and I adore he bones of him. The fact that he is a boy is irrelevant grin

spottytable Thu 26-May-16 18:22:43

I was 100% I was having a boy and she was a girl and I adjusted quite quickly. I think mothers instinct will kick in when he arrives.

Also the tests you paid for, are they the ones that are about£500?

vallinnapod Thu 26-May-16 20:05:23

Congratulations on a clear test (I'm 7 days into waiting for my results and dying from anxiety confused)

I have a DS and a DD, the nappy thing is something you get used to very quickly. Unlike PP I found lady bits much harder to clean grin

greenlizard Thu 26-May-16 21:25:34

My first pregnancy I was convinced it was a girl and was quite disappointed (in an odd way) that it was a boy. I got used to it quite quickly and when he was born I was beyond thrilled. He literally is amazing. Such a loving, happy, cheerful little boy.

Now I am pregnant with number 2 and was convinced it was another boy and was a bit disappointed to find out it was a girl 😀 I am getting over it and am quite sure I will be just as thrilled with her.

And don't worry about his bits - all you need to know is make sure his penis is pointing down when you put his nappy on - wish someone had told me this. I couldn't work out how he was peeling out the side/over the top off of his nappy - duh. Also they like to play with it quite early on and they get little erections too (usually before peeing all over you!) 😄

Congratulations.

Oysterbabe Thu 26-May-16 21:54:35

We were so convinced we were having a big strapping boy so were shocked when a 5lb girl popped out. We adored her from the first second, she's amazing.

Boys can like kittens, girls can like football. You'll treat him exactly as you would a girl, give him a loving environment and wait for his personality to shine through.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Sun 29-May-16 14:01:04

Thanks for all the replies! Feeling lots less stressed and more relaxed. The good thing about knowing so early is that I can start to plan properly.

Spotty I don't know how much it costs in the UK. I am working abroad at the moment and this test is included within the standard pre-natal checks. The gender test part is optional but I thought if they are going to test the DNA anyway then I might as well know! smile

Jo0070 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:53:07

Trust me you will absolutely 'love' having a boy.
My first two were girls and I was so chuffed they were girls - back then there was no way could I imagine taking a boy to football clubs when I would rather be dressing up a little doll in pink and taking her to ballet classes and piano lessons.

How ignorant my thinking was...

With my third I still would of loved another little princess, pink was all I knew, I had no boys in the family, but wow was I blessed when my boy arrived.

He has literally opened-up my world. As soon as he was born I could see myself as one of those screaming mums at the front-line of the football match shouting "come on son!!!'
I know this sounds stupid, but I could never imagine myself with a beautiful boy - but oh my goodness his beauty knocked me for six.

My boy is 2 now and is an endless barrel of fun, he is so loving, full of energy, I love his giggles when we kick a ball to each other, love how he's interested in things that I never was growing up - like donosaurs.

Cant wait for him to be old enough to join a 'dads and lads' footie team and for us both to take guitar lessons together.

There is definitely a special bond between mummy and her boy, and you are in for an absolute treat xx

Sophia1984 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:00:27

Congratulations! I was convinced we were going to have a girl and then found out at 20 week scan that he's a boy (due in August). It took a bit of readjustment, but I absolutely cannot wait to meet him now, and am so excited about having a son. I think it's sometimes easier for mums to imagine having a little girl as we know what it's like to be one, so it can feel strange to imagine bringing up a boy. I know a lot of men who are so close to their mums so I am looking forward to building that relationship too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now