Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh god the morning sickness make it stop!

(17 Posts)
Bootcamp1 Thu 26-May-16 15:40:04

And why is it called morning sickness - it should be "morning, slight reprieve after breakfast, and it's all downhill into the afternoon and evening-sickness"!

Can anything other than avoiding all known smells be done to ease the suffering?...Your best tips welcomed please!

Ellarose85 Thu 26-May-16 15:47:22

I have no advice but you have my sympathy flowers

I've sworn no more babies after this one as the sickness was so awful.

scienceteachergeek Fri 27-May-16 11:56:13

Hi there

I'm having twins. Morning sickness started bang on week 7. It has now pretty much left me at week 16. It's been a rough time. Nothing helped either!

I can only offer you sympathy. My morning sickness started at 10pm and lasted until 2pm the following day! I tried to be in bed before 10pm but was waking up for the toilet all the time so felt awful then too.

All I can tell you is...it does stop. I promise smile flowers

cheekstime Fri 27-May-16 13:00:03

Hi I had the same as you, it's not fun at all. I found that if I ate something/anything I could tolerate (even if rubbish food) that it held of the sickness so I could eat a bigger meal.

Try not to beat yourself up and eat whatever you can. ginger tea made no difference but jaffa cakes did for me and not being a passenger in a car, just the worst. I went right off meat too, coudln't even look at it raw.

Cleaned my teeth after I ate something otherwise I'd b sick. used an electric toothbrush which helped, less toothpaste, leanng forward to clean.

14 wks it tappered right off then I could refill with food smile. then came back for a couple of weeks a bit then went for good.

Oh I took a preg multi vit to cover the basics.

It's great to put it behind you try to hang in there and congratulations smile x

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Fri 27-May-16 13:09:16

Aargh I remember it well! Just waiting for it to start again very soon (nearly 5 weeks now...)

I found orange juice out of the fridge really helped. I definitely found that it was in some way connected to my blood sugar. When that dipped, the nausea grew legs. So anything that raised my blood sugar fast would help - some people really rate lemonade and coke.

Also, really really cold water full of ice, with a slice of lemon in helped. Lemon is supposed to help nausea, it just smells so clean. And crunching ice cubes was nice.

Ice lollies - literally the ones that are just cheap fruit flavoured, no dairy.

Crisps (ready salted, mini cheddars)

Bacon sandwiches, but I couldn't stomach the crusts hmm

Chip shop chips

As soon as I felt the nausea building I would have some juice whilst making food. Eating really helped, but I had to eat soon enough before I felt too sick to.

I couldn't eat vegetables for weeks, and I love them.

It peaked for me at 9-10 weeks and then gradually tapered off and I felt better by about 13/14 weeks.

Utterly miserable though.

If it's too severe for you to keep enough liquid down/you lose a lot of weight fast you need to seek treatment from your GP. Check out the hyperemesis support thread on here if you need advice.

greenapples Fri 27-May-16 13:09:57

I survived by eating green apples, only thing that tasted ok and stayed down.
Not long after having ds, while still in hospital, an old auxillary nurse told me I should of taken things easier on myself (I'd had sky high blood pressure too). Just make sure you get enough rest! Being tired seemed to make it worse too (for me).

Newquay Fri 27-May-16 13:19:14

'Diet' rich tea biscuits from morrissons, San pelligrino lemon or orange. Toasted cheese sandwiches. Salt n vinegar crisps.

It's no fun. Sympathies.

ASpongeAndARustySpanner Fri 27-May-16 13:24:48

Agree with greenapples the more tired I am the worse it is. Plenty of sleep and crunching on ice.

SeashellHoarder Fri 27-May-16 18:15:20

Hi bootcamp I'm 10 weeks and until 9 weeks was suffering loads with morning sickness. The dr prescribed cyclizine and while it's not 100% better it is massively improved and I can eat and keep it down as long as I stick to very plain food.

I know it's not for everyone but it has been a godsend in this pregnancy.

Mumchatting Mon 30-May-16 10:19:50

I am feeling severe nausea 24/7 from the moment I wake til the moment I go to sleep at night. I never vomit so there is never a relief! Just horrible feeling of sickness non stop.
I'm only 6-7 weeks and been feeling like this since week 5.

LondonStill83 Mon 30-May-16 10:29:21

I hear ya!

I am 21 weeks- had a short reprieve from 9.5 to 13 weeks, then it was back with a vengeance.

Started to taper at 18 weeks, they also prescribed me cyclizine as I had lost so much weight, now it's back though am not vomiting at least.

I want to die.

I can eat bagels, cream cheese, muesli, some cheese cubes, San Pelligrino, and orange juice. Sometimes.

limeandsoda93 Mon 30-May-16 22:44:21

It's so miserable isn't it?! I'm 35 weeks and thankfully no longer suffering but I haven't forgotten the fog of nausea I lived in from weeks 7-16. I'd say, don't let yourself get hungry, don't worry if all you want to eat is crisps and don't force yourself to drink lemon and ginger tea because people tell you it helps. I found fizzy water more palatable than still and salty snacks better than sweet ones. It does end! Obviously see a doctor if you're having trouble keeping anything down. Sympathy flowers

ThinkPinkStink Tue 31-May-16 13:38:24

Weeks 7 to 13 were pretty vile for me too, you have my sympathy.

Things that (seemed to) help me:

- Those travel sickness bands (though maybe only helped psychosomatically)

- Eating (nibbling all the time, I started with gingernuts and nibbled on to cheese and biscuits)

- Sticking my head outside the front door

- Brushing my teeth in sections (15 seconds, spit, breath, 15 seconds, spit, breath)

- Marmalade on brown toast

Now at 22 weeks I still feel a bit grotty every so often, it seems to come in waves of hormones (sore boobs, sore hips, weepy, pukey and then gone again for a few days).

flowers

Mishaps Tue 31-May-16 13:42:20

Oh you poor thing - there is nothing worse than nausea - pregnancy sickness is the most unbelievable design fault.

I found that "grazing" helped - i.e. nibbling constantly, particularly dry biscuits or ryvita. Cold fizzy water also helped - and peppermint tea.

I hope this passes soon and you can get on and enjoy your pregnancy.

Mummytodaisyandbradley Tue 31-May-16 13:46:57

I had awful sickness in both of my pregnancies. Things that helped

Putting biscuits on the bedside table and eating before I even got out of bed
Plain toast is your friend
Ginger tea
Carry some biscuits in your bag for when out and you feel sick
Ginger cake
Biggest help I found was sipping full fat coke

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Tue 31-May-16 18:43:12

Aaaggh my morning sickness had a gentle build up on Sunday and then wham Monday morning the 24/7 overpowering nausea hit like a train. I am 5+2 now <cries> so a long way to go envy << sick face.

Like mumchatting I haven't actually vomitted so there is no sodding relief, but I've been >this< close to it. I spent from 1.30 to 4am on the bathroom floor last night failing to actually be sick but not daring leave the vicinity of the toilet.

Bleurgh. All I can say is it better bloody be worth it this time. I have done 3 full 1st trimesters already and only have one living child to show for it. That is a bad rate.

jenjen2587 Fri 03-Jun-16 21:07:57

I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment at 9 + 3 it's awful - the only thing I can keep down is pure orange juice in sips and ready salted crisps! My MW said this is quite normal but no-one tells you quite how bad it is! I hope you all feel better soon :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now