Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how to 'hide' pregnancy at a house party

(21 Posts)
spottytable Thu 26-May-16 09:48:47

I am 6 weeks pregnant. I'm still in shock as baby wasn't planned. We are going to a house party on Saturday. I do not want anyone at party to know. How can I hide it? Any tips much desperately needed!

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 26-May-16 09:50:24

Tell people you're on antibiotics for something so you can't drink. Don't wear a floaty top to hide it, instead wear something tighter and revealing (reverse psychology!)

Flossiesmummy Thu 26-May-16 09:50:35

Have non-alcoholic drinks that look like they're alcohol eg. Soda with lime slice could pass as a G and T.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 26-May-16 09:50:45

And congratulations!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 26-May-16 09:50:49

Take your own supply of Kopperberg non alcohol cider and quaff it out of the bottle. Much more convicning than drinking water and pretending it is vodka

rubberducker Thu 26-May-16 09:52:55

Pretending to drink is much more effective than saying you're on antibiotics. That's like setting a pregnancy klaxon off when you're a woman of child bearing age!

If you don't feel confident about pretending to drink then blame massive hangover from night before!

SmallBee Thu 26-May-16 09:52:56

How many people will be there? The more there are the easier it will be to hide.
Will it look unusual if you don't drink? I'm not a big drinker so could get away with it bur some good tips are just having sparkling water and passing it off as g&t or vodka tonic. Or schloer as white wine?

spottytable Thu 26-May-16 09:53:30

I'm not sure they'd fall for it to be honest, plus I'm severely bloated and look about 4 months.

albertcampionscat Thu 26-May-16 09:54:17

I had a wedding at the exact same stage. What worked brilliantly was saying yes please to drinks and then just holding the glass (pretending to sip during toasts) and passing it to DP to drink during quiet moments.

spottytable Thu 26-May-16 09:55:46

It's small so about 15 people? I suppose I'll just have to hide it with fake drink! But annoyingly we'll also have to pay for a taxi. I suppose I'll
Have to get my oh to down drinks too or swap glasses if we get given any fizz?

spottytable Thu 26-May-16 09:56:37

Albert that sounds like a plan. But, there is karaoke confused

Hedgeh0g Thu 26-May-16 09:56:53

Don't say anything. Pour your own non alcoholic drinks/accept drinks and then 'lose' them. Nobody'll be paying much attention at a house party. I got away with it by doing that on NYE. If you come up with an excuse like being on AB's it'll be much more obvious.

museumum Thu 26-May-16 09:58:42

Carry a drink around with you, occasionally pour a bit down the loo or sink.
If you feel knackered just claim a bloaty dodgy tum.

In my experience it's never good to draw attention to your job drinking with any kind of excuse. Just say yes to offers of drinks then mislay them.

CarrotVan Thu 26-May-16 10:00:56

Just say that you're driving so will only have one and carry it around without drinking it

readyforno2 Thu 26-May-16 10:09:13

Be "really hungover" from the night before and arrive wearing sunglasses. Accept the first drink, and nurse it all night, moaning about how rough you are.
disclaimer - maybe this only works for me, I have a habit of being horribly hungover blush

LumpishAndIllogical Thu 26-May-16 10:18:58

Pretend to drink. That's what I did. Just poured drink away occasionally, and replaced with soda water. No one noticed, they all got drunk and definitely didn't notice what I was doing after a few hours!!

PottyMouthed Thu 26-May-16 10:46:51

Are you attending with a partner? A friend of mine had exactly the same problem. They both had drinks, he would be drinking his but she was basically just holding his next one. When she actually wanted a drink she got a soft drink in a tumbler and said it was v&t etc but asked they only filled it half/three quarters up.
With your bloating - I had that terribly with the first few weeks of my last pregnancy. You'll just have to be a bit savvy with your outfit and try not wear anything that'll accentuate it!

Roobix04 Thu 26-May-16 10:50:18

We hosted a house party when I was 6 weeks. I just bought non alcoholic cider (in the brand they all new I usually drink) and poured them into glasses in the kitchen so they didn't scrutinise the bottles.

nephrofox Thu 26-May-16 10:51:19

Pay for a taxi? Just drive! Problem solved.

StarkyTheDirewolf Thu 26-May-16 11:37:19

I've used.

•"I'm on a diet, I'm getting fat! So I've cut out alcohol and sugar" this worked, was bloated as balls.
•Pouring my own lookalike drinks. Blackcurrant/lemonade in a wine glass looks like rose. Same for clear drinks. Bitter lemon/gin etc.
• Mouth ulcers. Alcohol irritates them and they're painful enough.
• Sulphites in cider/wine are giving me yelow tongue. I had or a thrush terribly so I used it to my advantage.

I see my dps every week, we told them at 13+5 and they had NO idea. And my dm prides herself on knowing people are pregnant before they are. Don't say antibiotics. And don't make a big thing of not drinking unless someone asks.

EustachianTube Thu 26-May-16 11:41:47

Drive! Make up something you have to be at the next morning so you want to have a clear head.
To be honest, I thought it was really bloody obvious when I was early stages of pregnancy (what with the endless nausea and heaving) but no one twigged at all. Close family might but at a party you just need to get through the first hour then everyone else should be merry enough not to even notice. My DH didn't notice his boss was pregnant until she was about 24 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now