Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Irrational fear about labour

(8 Posts)
Sgoinneal Tue 24-May-16 20:35:33

I was induced with dc1 - two sweeps, gel and pessary all resulted in a score of 0. The drip worked but I was on it for sixteen hours and DS was born with the help of forceps and episiotomy.

I'm 38+6 and while this time I feel like I have had signs of labour (BH, bits of plug coming away, cramps) I really feel like I won't be able to 'go into' labour - that I'm here until someone intervenes. Does this make sense to anyone? And are there some people who can't labour spontaneously?

Thanks in advance. Mad hormones blush

Sgoinneal Tue 24-May-16 21:25:23

Cheekily bumping just in case anyone is about with experience of this!

Whatsername17 Tue 24-May-16 21:28:15

I haven't had any experience but my cousin was induced with her dd (her first) but went onto spontaneous labour with her ds. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Good luck!

Sgoinneal Tue 24-May-16 22:11:01

Thanks whatsername I'm feeling down in the dumps and needed to hear that!

janenoble Thu 26-May-16 00:33:20

Hi there,
First of all, congrats on your pregnancy. It is perfectly natural to feel some trepidation after your last birth, but this isn't going to be the same.
Each pregnancy is different. Each birth is different. Your body has already adjusted once, and so this time things will most definitely be a bit easier on you i believe.
It's important to stop, breath, and remember that you're OK. You are in control. You will have a wonderful birth and your baby will come when he/she is ready.
I'd say that the fact your body is changing, and gearing up for the great finale, progression is definitely happening, and your baby is wiggling his or her way through a decision on which day he/she would like to be born.
He/she will come when they're ready. Just remember. breath.

Sgoinneal Thu 26-May-16 14:41:40

Thank you so much Jane flowers I saw the midwife this morning and while we will be making an induction plan, she's hopeful I will be able to labour without induction.

I know it would not be the end of the world (and I actually feel okay about my last experience now) but I am hoping for some broken waters soon!

figsandalmonds Thu 26-May-16 16:05:32

Hi Sgoinneal, I had pretty much identical first labour and I am also very anxious about my second (I'm 21weeks). In the time since I have been through some traumatic stuff that I am extremely anxious about reliving during one of those intense moments of pain I remember from my first labour. I am willing to accept pain, but I would like it not to last hours and hours to the point of utter exhaustion (which will make everything worse I fear).

It might be a bit late in the game, but at my hospital it is possible to meet with someone who will go over the notes from my first labour to talk through what happened and why (my husband thinks baby was in a bad position, for example). We have also talked to the various health professionals we're involved with and they're providing lots of support. The obstetrician also suggested a stretch & sweep about 38/39 weeks. I don't know if it's medically appropriate for you but do you think your midwife would consider this (I realise you're probably already 39weeks?)?

Lots of people have also suggested meditation and hypnobirthing. I'm sure there's a lot on youtube so you don't have to fork out for a CD, etc. This might help with putting janenoble's advice into practice?

I am glad midwife is being supportive anyway.

Good luck! Please let me / us know how it goes once you've had your lovely, easy, straightforward labour so I can be reassured too!

Sgoinneal Thu 26-May-16 21:02:20

Hi figs I'm sorry to hear about your labour and that you've had a difficult time flowers. I'm sure the fact I've had some stress during my pregnancy is also an issue. Glad your midwives and care team seem to be really proactive, that must be a reassurance that they understand your fears, I think I've made my peace with the last birth (at times I feel very strong that I did it!) but I'm anxious about history repeating in a way I hadn't expected.

Hypnobirthing - great idea and I did enjoy doing hypno stuff last time (got lost a bit in the melee of the birth but I'm sure it calmed me in advance!) I will get on YouTube later on!

I feel like a bit of a fraud or something because I was induced last time due problems, and this time I don't seem to have them - I should be happy, relieved, but instead I am anxious that the longer I go on the more chance there are of issues. It is slightly irrational and janenoble is right, I need to remember that that isn't written in stone. Really appreciate all the advice.

I will update, I promise! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now