Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused after this appointment

(22 Posts)
CamembertQueen Tue 24-May-16 18:33:02

I am a first time Mum, 38 weeks today. My midwife told me a few weeks ago (36weeks) that baby is back to back. An hour later another midwife told me baby was LOA so on his side. I was then told a few days later by an obstetrician that baby was LOA and on his side also.

Today I had my 38 week appointment and the same midwife again said he was back to back. Baby has always been lying on the left but she now said he is lying on the right, she knows this as it felt hard there and that this is his back?? Surely if he was back to back, she wouldn't feel his back?

I am a first time Mum and she told me the horrors of a back to back baby in labour. I really wanted to be positive but now I am so scared. I don't know if she actually has a clue given she was wrong before and then made the comment about feeling his back.

Has anyone else got experience of this? Should I pay for a private scan to put my mind at ease?

Whatsername17 Tue 24-May-16 18:48:30

I delivered a back to back baby. It was painful but not unbearable. I managed on my own ok but after a couple of hours of contractions coming every minute and not getting anywhere (because I wasn't dilating - nothing to do with b2b) I opted for a mobile epidural. I could still feel, still move my legs but the pain lessened. It was great. My baby was delivered calmly in a dimly lit room to the sounds of me and dh giggling. Review your pain relief options and make a plan. Then do not give it a second thought. Good luck flowers

Wolfiefan Tue 24-May-16 18:51:23

My first was a back to back baby. Tens really helped early on. It took a while to push him out and my back hurt. I had a pool birth. DH poured warm water over my back during each contraction. Bliss!!
Babies can move right up until labour so don't panic. And even if baby doesn't turn it really isn't the end of the world!

Whatsername17 Tue 24-May-16 18:53:34

I should add, ignore anyone who makes labour out to be a horror show. I loved every second of it and I that was because when I ran into complications I took the midwifes advice and accepted pain relief. If they'd have said I needed a section I'd have gone with it. Honestly, do not worry. It's wonderful x

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Tue 24-May-16 18:58:52

My first was back to back - 4.5 hours labour! Next one turned in transit. I think you'll be fine!

ElspethFlashman Tue 24-May-16 19:06:09

Another back to back here . Epidural. Flipping terrific. It made it totally doable.

What an arsehole scaring you like that.

There are actually quite a few people on here who had back to backs without anything. Fair dues to them, but I loved my epidural! grin

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Tue 24-May-16 19:07:14

Forgot to say - only gas and air for my two above.

CamembertQueen Tue 24-May-16 21:41:02

Thanks everyone smile I was in a panic earlier but reading the replies has put me at ease! I just didn't need the negativity about the birth from the midwife, not how I want to approach this, terrified! So glad many of you have had good experiences.

Jodie1982 Tue 24-May-16 22:02:34

All mine were back to back. 1st baby I had an epidural but delivered fine, all others gas n air. Take no notice of horror stories, it's their labour story, yours won't be like theirs. I'm now pregnant with no.6....birth can't b that bad if I'm doing it again. grin

thecatsarecrazy Tue 24-May-16 22:32:20

My 2nd ds was back to back and the midwife worried me saying "its not good" tbh the worst part was it was a slow labour, after 4 hours in hospital I hadn't dilated anymore but as soon as they burst my waters things got moving. I only had gas and air.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 24-May-16 22:35:08

He was quite a big baby too grin

loosechange Tue 24-May-16 22:36:27

I have had two back to backs. First was sore - epidural sorted that out. The second I had with a faulty tens and two Co Codamol. It hurt, but that was mainly due to the useless Tens. I didn't realize it was a back to back until after the event.

CamembertQueen Tue 24-May-16 23:50:44

See the more I think of it, she seemed to be enjoying scaring me as she was smiling away and not being very tactful at all. At one point she laughed. I just didn't understand her saying she could feel his back..... But I am not going to stress about it anymore. As I can see from everyone's experiences it doesn't have to be hell on earth, so thanks, I feel a bit more relaxed now. What will be will be!

mascaraisamust Wed 25-May-16 06:15:37

I've been told in one week by different midwifes: he's head down, then he was transverse, then they could feel a bottom near my ribs, next day they said it was a head, next day they said it was a bottom, today it was a head. So I've no idea and I don't think they do either which was up or down he is! They said not to worry, as I'm 33 weeks and that there's plenty of time for baby to move (except I don't think he has moved they just don't know what body part is which)! Sorry this was no help but just adding to your confusion that he might not be where they say he is, if it carries on I'll request a scan!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 25-May-16 06:18:47

Mine started back to back and despite this I had a very quick and easy labour up until she turned during descent just before transition.

Mummyme87 Wed 25-May-16 08:29:42

Don't fret about it. Even if baby was back to back now that is not to say baby will be in same position during labour. They do rotate frequently and more so in labour

MargaretCabbage Wed 25-May-16 08:40:23

My baby was in the perfect position until the last few weeks of pregnancy when he turned back to back. I'd heard horror stories and spent all my time trying to turn him, but he wouldn't shift.

I managed until the pushing stage at home in the bath, and he was born using gas and air. I was pushing for a very long time but had a really good birth, and he turned at some point during the labour.

I was dilating really slowly at first and was sent home from hospital, and then went from 2cm to pushing within two hours, and since he was born I've heard this is quite common with back to back babies so my one bit of advice would be don't let the midwives send you home on the basis of dilation if it feels like things are happening to you.

3luckystars Wed 25-May-16 09:22:29

The midwife told me on Tuesday that my baby was head down and I went for a scan shortly afterwards and the baby was completely breech. I am 35 weeks. They can be totally wrong and also babies move around until the last second. Don't take any notice, worrying won't change anything so just enjoy the next few weeks. You will be fine!

Me624 Wed 25-May-16 14:40:17

Definitely get a tens machine. My DS was back to back and the contractions were entirely in my back, I felt nothing in my front at all. The tens machine was my saviour and got me to fully dilated with just that and gas and air. (I did end up with an epidural after that, but that's because DS got stuck.)

freerangeeggs Wed 25-May-16 19:32:01

My mum had me back to back and has always said that she loved labour! She went on to have another three so it must have been bearable grin

I had a long back to back labour but just gas and air. Amazing midwife managed to turn her as she descended and so actually delivery was pretty easy for an 8.5lb first baby (5 contractions and out). It was scary too be told but did explain the position and level of pain and once I knew why it felt like that I found I could cope much more easily but maybe I'm just a control freak.

Aceberry Wed 25-May-16 23:01:42

My second baby was back to back but turned during labour. I think the worst thing in reality was my labour was stop start (so waiting around instead of painful initially) until she turned as her head wasn't banging on the cervix to fully start things off. When labour finally kicked off it was painful down my legs as the baby was pressing on a nerve. As soon as she shifted (the midwife put me on my left side to move her) it was more normal. If you can, they say go down on all fours eg scrub the kitchen floor as the position may shift the baby around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now