Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spotting/bleeding

(15 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 15:39:10

Am 12 weeks today. Spotting started on Friday - very light, brownish, only visible on wiping, not hitting the pad. Has progressively become less brown and more red over the last few days and since yesterday afternoon has been smearing the pad and has definitely been redder rather than pink. It's not been "gushing", it's been more sort of steady like a period.

Went to A&E on Sunday, they couldn't scan me but the doctor said lots of women have this all the way through pregnancy and it's nothing to worry about. However, I am concerned that it has become heavier. I have slight cramps, although I feel that they are a bit stronger today than yesterday, but the A&E doctor said that they would be concerned only about severe abdominal pain, which I definitely don't have.

I have a private scan booked tonight (after a day of being bounced back and forth between the EPAU and A&E - dating scan is next week so I suspect EPAU reluctant to see me early) so I should have a better idea tonight of what's going on, but the three hours between now and the scan just feel very very long. I'm veering between being convinced that I've lost or am losing the baby and being convinced that I haven't and it's just doing my head in a bit. If I have lost the baby, I think I'll be able to cope with that better than with not knowing one way or the other. I think what I want is a hand hold?

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 15:40:39

PS about a week before this I had a single spot, literally, of blood which disappeared on wiping, and I posted about that, so I'm sorry if this seems a bit repetitive but what's happening now is quite different and a lot scarier!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 15:41:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SouthDownsSunshine Tue 24-May-16 15:44:59

It's so scary to bleed in pregnancy, so you have my sympathies.

It is really common though, and could mean nothing. I've bled throughout this pregnancy, and baby is still bouncing away!

It's hard not to worry, but it's not long until your scan. Can you distract yourself for a few hours? Or just give into the worry and eat cake?

I hope everything is ok. If it is, come join us on the December antenatal thread. Lots of us have had bleeds on the thread!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 15:46:14

Thanks southdowns. I've downed tools and lined up some Netflix to watch. I've also eaten a far greater amount of speculoos ice cream than anyone should grin

bessie84 Tue 24-May-16 15:59:04

good luck with your scan anutteridiot - with my DS, now 10, i bled and bled and bled til 14 weeks, its sooo stressful and utterly shit scary. could be infection, (mine was with him) could just be cervix, doesnt have to mean the worst. ....... with this one, in early days, i was bleeding heavy with clots and water and god it was shit scary and had to wait for a scan, but we're now 33 weeks, it doesnt always mean the worst.

thinking of you, update us how your scan goes. big hugs. tonnes of luck x

carebear841 Tue 24-May-16 16:04:53

Good luck with scan, out and about at the moment but didn't want to read and run. I am 28 weeks and have had spotting all way through so far. It is very scary, every time. I have finally been diagnosed with cervical ectropian and one of my friends had a subchorionic bleed which was heavy and very frightening but all is well with her pregnancy too. I am thinking of you and hope all is okay.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 16:11:01

Thanks, guys - this is very encouraging, it's so hard to know what to expect!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-May-16 20:11:18

Just to update - it was a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks. I am obviously sad but was prepared for it and it's only my first pregnancy so fingers crossed we'll pull it off next time.

SouthDownsSunshine Tue 24-May-16 20:18:03

So sorry to hear that. All the best for your next pregnancy, and take care of yourself.

carebear841 Tue 24-May-16 20:23:59

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Look after yourself xxxx

Jodie1982 Tue 24-May-16 22:09:15

Omg i'm so so sorry for your loss. Hope the next few days/weeks are easy on you. All my sympathies, Jo. flowers

bessie84 Wed 25-May-16 09:45:36

so sorry for your loss xx

AnUtterIdiot Wed 25-May-16 18:36:29

Thanks. I am sad, but the uncertainty was killing me and I now know where I am so that's something. Hopefully I'll be back on this forum with better news soon smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 25-May-16 18:38:54

Oh I'm so sorry xxxbrewflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now