Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help....comfy/supportive/flattering maternity bra for big busted wench required!

(23 Posts)
bluemoonday Tue 24-May-16 15:02:53

Hi all

I'm 25 weeks pregnant with twins and my boobs have already grown from a 32DD to a 34F grin

I bought a non-underwired bra in John Lewis on the advice of the bra saleswoman and hate it so much. It's super itchy and very unflattering - when I wear it I basically have a low hanging mono-boob.

So...I went to Bravissimo and bought an underwired bra on the advice of their saleswoman and also hate it. The wires are digging into the top of my bump (unfortunately....as it looks good otherwise).

Can anyone recommend a comfortable, flattering and supportive bra for a 34F desperate pregnant woman?!

I don't mind if it's not a nursing bra. I just want to be comfortable for the next couple of months.

Nan0second Tue 24-May-16 15:15:34

I had bravado bliss maternity bra in ever increasing sizes in my pregnancy. I bought one full price from here:
www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk/bravado-bliss-nursing-bra~199
Then when I liked it, bought the ever increasing sizes from eBay (second hand).
My boobs reached 36H/I (from 34B before) in pregnancy but interestingly, never got any bigger postnatally and then gradually shrunk deflated as I continued to breast feed for the next year so I got use out of all the sizes on the way back down as well!

bessie84 Tue 24-May-16 16:00:43

sorry im no help, your title made me laugh though. :-) hope you find one. ps: jealous you have boobies, mine havent changed size very much.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 24-May-16 16:02:11

Freya Deco does a non-wired version that comes in your size. Not a special maternity bra, but I agree that those are generally quite horrible.

StinkyMcgrinky Tue 24-May-16 16:06:27

Lurking as I need similar advice. My 34DD boobs are now a 36E and I'm down to two bras that are comfortable to wear, god knows what I'm going to do post birth when my milk comes in.

They're not maternity bras but the most comfortable bras I've found so far are Marks and Spencer's basic tshirt bras. I've got these in a 36E and they fit perfectly and I can wear them all day without feeling like I'm going to be sliced in half after lunch

www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-cotton-rich-assorted-padded-underwired-full-cup-t-shirt-bras-a-e/p/p22426365?prevPage=plp

I know they'll be no use when feeding but at the minute they are perfect

StinkyMcgrinky Tue 24-May-16 16:07:30

Just realised these particular bras don't go up to an F blush sorry OP! Would highly recommend M&S bras nonetheless!

bluemoonday Tue 24-May-16 16:36:28

Thanks all...I tried M&S but the sales assistant was useless and I ended up red faced and annoyed! Tried on about 10 different bras and none fit properly. Trying on bras is the worst kind of hell.

The Bravado Bliss one looks interesting, I like moulded cups. I'll also check out Freya. I've been wearing underwired bras since I was about 16 so it's very strange going wire-less. Maybe I just have to come to terms with the tube boob/monoboob situation shock

Fourormore Tue 24-May-16 16:41:42

I'd go back to Bravissimo. Their customer service is usually really good and they should let you change the one they recommended to one that fits properly.

MrsJoJo Tue 24-May-16 17:10:04

Look at Cake maternity bras... An Aussie brand but they ship here. I am not quite so busty but love the two bras I got from them... Expensive postage but I figure I'll be wearing them for quite some time and I can't put a price on comfort.

moobeana Tue 24-May-16 17:13:02

Rigby and pellet sorted me out brilliantly. Never had a bad fitting, pregnant or not.

YouAreAWizardHarry Tue 24-May-16 18:00:33

Search Billy Bums on facebook they are fabulous

goldenpineapple Tue 24-May-16 19:53:28

I hear you op! I was a 32E pre-pregnancy and in a 34F at 19 weeks and growing! I've found this one from Debenhams to be amazing. Its not too pricey, really comfortable, brilliant support, and a decent shape too - no more mono boob! All the specific maternity ones are terrible, I agree. Good luck!
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_152010718560_-1

bluemoonday Wed 25-May-16 16:05:04

Thanks for all the additional ideas - never heard of some of these brands! Great.

SpeckledFrog2014 Wed 25-May-16 16:41:30

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with bras. I've just had an unsuccessful trip to marks! I was in between sizes! Also I will say watch their breastfeeding ones as if you have a little breast tissue to the side of your breast they really dig in.

I've embraced the saggy boobies now and bought some stretchy bras from Amazon just to hold my breast pads in place. I think I'm about a 36G+ and also have to think about bras I can get my boobies out in as I'm due in six weeks. I'm about to look at Debenhams again (if I can get the size I second them) as I had some fab bras from there at the beginning of my pregnancy and they were nursing bras too.

I find the bra hunt really stressful although it is made funnier by my 18 month old shouting "boobies" every time I get them out in the changing room. Discreet breastfeeding here? I don't think I have a chance haha!

KatharinaRosalie Thu 26-May-16 06:58:51

If you are big boobed, I would not bother with traditional nursing bras. Once bump is gone and the wires are no longer digging in, buy normal bras and convert them yourself.It's very easy to do, you can get clips from eBay.

firsttimegettingclose Thu 26-May-16 16:17:57

Same problem here... now 36 weeks and gone from a 28G to a 30K or 32JJ and there is soooo little bra support out there, and by cricky do I need it! (sports tops for me at the moment) Tried on the Sadie from Royce today and it just creates a cow udder shape pointing to the sides....not a great look and not very comfortable. Though these don't come in my size, have a look at the ANITA brand, both my SIL's have bought either online or at R&P and are raving about it (I wore one for a bit months ago). Might try KatherinaRosalie's suggestion though, thank you!

Terrifiedandregretful Thu 26-May-16 16:44:38

I never wore non underwired bras when pregnant, they're just not supportive enough. I wore my normal bra and went up in size when needed. I used bra extenders from eBay when my rib cage got bigger. (I also found underwired nursing bras were a godsend)

Terrifiedandregretful Thu 26-May-16 16:48:04

I get all my bras from Bravissimo but hated their nursing bras. Elomi underwired nursing bras are great. I got mine from a company called Ample Bosom who had great customer service.

MrsHatnumber26 Sun 29-May-16 20:42:28

Selfridges assistant very helpful and found two fab ones by Heidi Klum!

Flisspaps Sun 29-May-16 20:51:27

You can wear underwired bras. No need to wear unwired ones. ASDA go up to a G cup and they're cheap, which is handy as you won't be in them long.

3luckystars Sun 29-May-16 20:54:29

KatharinaRosalie, I am really interested in how you would covert a bra, can you explain it to a complete idiot like me? It sounds fantastic!

I am 35 weeks pregnant, Mine were c/d size and are now Gs. They are absolutely HUGE, I think my bump is the only thing holding them up now. I have 2 giant ugly bras that are more like scaffolding with 2 inch straps. Reading this thread with interest too. It's fairly impossible to measure at this stage is it?

rubberducker Sun 29-May-16 22:37:36

I would second the advice to go back to bravissimo. If they fitted you and the bra is uncomfortable then they'll refund and refit you - they did it for me with a bra that I'd been persevering with for a good few weeks but took it back with no quibble and, having discussed the issue with the fit of that one, put me in a different style that was much better.

jellybelly85 Mon 30-May-16 17:56:54

I've recently discovered Hot Milk - bought one from ASOS, then bought a couple more a bit cheaper from ebay. Having gone through a range of maternity bras, these are the best I've found so far. Super comfy and supportive - I feel like I'm wearing an underwired bra. They are a set size, so unsure how good they will be for nursing, but for now they are wonderful.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now