Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI and early labour?!

(7 Posts)
limeandsoda93 Tue 24-May-16 00:03:14

I'm 34 weeks and being treated for a UTI. I've heard that they can cause you to go into early labour but everywhere I look the info is a bit vague and the doctor didn't mention it to me. Anyone else heard of this or even had any experience of this?

Tomboyinatutu Tue 24-May-16 01:03:54

UTIs are very common in pregnancy and you would need quite a severe one to put you in early labour. My mum had to be induced early when pregnant with me due to a bad one

MintyBojingles Tue 24-May-16 07:52:31

Apparently it can happen, however I've had 4 uti's in pregnancy (all treated with antibiotics) and not gone in to labour.

Junosmum Tue 24-May-16 08:51:59

Yeah it can kick off labour, but only if it's either very serious or you are nearly ready to drop anyway.

I had a uti at 36weeks, took 10days of abs. I started slow labour at 37weeks and gave birth at 38weeks. The midwife did think the uti kicked things off.

seven201 Tue 24-May-16 09:41:36

I think that only really happens if it's untreated/not noticed. I'm on my 5th UTI (currently on antibiotics) and I'm nearly 36 weeks and not in labour yet smile

limeandsoda93 Tue 24-May-16 11:26:24

Phew, I didn't know how much of a connection there was. I wouldn't say mine is severe, still managing to be up and about. Reckon I'm safe for now!

Jodie1982 Tue 24-May-16 22:17:16

I was quite poorly with one in my 4th pregnancy at 28wks. Was admitted for a week due to baby and I being Tachycardic, had to have steroids for baby. Was quite scary. Luckily all meds helped. If left untreated I think it's more serious. Try not to worry too much.
Jo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now