Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rib pain

(7 Posts)
Baz13 Sun 22-May-16 19:03:55

I am suffering really bad with left side rib pain in my third pregnancy. It hurts everyday and does get better when I lie down and go to sleep, so I wake up pain free, but it's not long until the pain starts again. My job doesn't help as I work with young children and the chairs are so small they come to the middle of my back. I think I will speak to my boss about me using bigger chairs, (risk assessing first).
I am 17 weeks and this has been going on for at least 3 weeks continuously. I am going to make a GP appointment, but don't want to be a time waster either if that makes sense, if they say it's all part of pregnancy.
I had this with second pregnancy but not this bad, and had physio on my back/ ribs.
Just wondered if anyone else has suffered with rib pain, and what you did about it. Thank you

Boomies Sun 22-May-16 20:13:50

Im 22 weeks and have exactly the same thing so sorry I can't offer advice but I'd be interested to know what people did to help. It's always gone in the morning and gets worse through the day radiating around my back.

HP07 Sun 22-May-16 22:04:51

I am also suffering with this. 22w+5 and I can only imagine it will get worse. I don't have any suggestions but hoping someone will be along to help soon?!

LolaStarr Sun 22-May-16 23:04:43

I'm 17 weeks and I have this as well, like a really sharp pain? It's on the left side as well. Not pleasant at all sad

Beautifulbella Mon 23-May-16 09:06:31

I suffered with this really bad last year when I had dd, it got so bad that I ended up going to the hospital I was in that much pain. At first it was where dd was laying in an awkward position but than I later found out it was because of how small I was before pregnancy and then the weight of dd (I got really big bump) was putting pressure on my back which then caused the pain in my ribs. There's not much they can do if you have the same problem although they did send me to have back therapy whilst pregnant which meant I ha amazing back massages once a fortnight smile try going to the doctors and see what they mention but as far as I'm aware it's nothing to worry about. xx

GinaBambino Mon 23-May-16 09:12:02

I'm 37 weeks and have had it since I was about 17 wks. Mines on the right side though. Mw thinks it's a trapped nerve; as I'm left handed I sit awkwardly at work so this could be the case with you if you have to sit in teeny tiny chairs. Get checked out, you never know you might get a nice massage every couple of weeks! Hope you get it sorted

Wintersummerwintersummer Mon 23-May-16 13:40:15

I had this really badly with first pregnancy. I thought it was her knees/ feet and used to push on my ribs to try to adjust her. Turned out it was the poor child's head as we realised at 37 weeks that she was breach and they think she had been breach along despite midwife telling me she was the right way around. Might be worth getting them to double check the baby's position. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now