Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy skincare

(9 Posts)
peanutbutter2409 Sun 22-May-16 08:11:19

Hi ladies,
My skin has become dry but with Tony spots just under the surface on my forehead. Pre pregnancy I used Garnier Pure face wash & toner which has a low percentage of salicylic acid in it and always worked. Since becoming pregnant I stopped using it and am just using soap and water as I'm so bloody confused by what I can and can't use.
I've just looked up no 7 protect & perfect advanced and it says I can't use the serum or moisturiser because of retinol ..... And I've been using this for my whole first trimester.
What the hell can I use/not use or is it just a load of scaremongering crap??

peanutbutter2409 Sun 22-May-16 08:11:37

Tiny not Tony spots haha

BeardMinge Sun 22-May-16 09:11:24

It's fine to use your normal face wash. That level of salicylic acid applied to your face isn't going to affect your pregnancy in any way shape or form.

mangocoveredlamb Sun 22-May-16 09:26:09

It never occurred to me not to use my normal products, but perhaps I should look into it.

I have found in both my pregnancies that I was both dryer and greasier, causing spots. A facial oil (I use boots organics) has really helped.

coppergrey Sun 22-May-16 10:06:46

I think only higher levels of retinol/vitamin A are a problem... for example Sunday Riley's Luna is not recommended for use during pregnancy. I haven't heard anything about salicylic acid being unsafe.

Britnyspears Sun 22-May-16 17:38:40

Only retinol from a dermatologist would be an issue. Anything in Boots will be fine. That said, I stopped using my usual origins spot treatment as that had 2% salicyic acid.
I have been using Elemis skin resurfacing face wash, its not the cheapest, but keeps my skin clear.

coppergrey Sun 22-May-16 18:49:06

Did some research after seeing this thread and found this: www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1i1v6w/if_youre_pregnant_trying_to_conceive_or_lactating/. Found it really useful!

Cakescakescakes Sun 22-May-16 18:50:20

Anything over the counter is totally fine. It's only the prescription regionals etc you'd need to worry about. Caroline Hirons or Ruth actually (a model recommends) have some good blog posts on this.

Cakescakescakes Sun 22-May-16 18:50:46

Retinols!!! Wonder what a prescription regional might be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now