Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried about weight gain this pregnancy

(10 Posts)
QueenMolotov Fri 20-May-16 12:50:20

I'm 22w with dc3. I'm 33yo, approximately 5'7" tall and weighed about 9st 7lbs before conceiving.

I felt very nauseous for the first 14w and consequently, went off my food and wasn't eating full portions. I didn't weigh myself during this time. It is possible I lost weight.

When I went for my 20w scan, I was weighed and I'd gained 6lbs: the unit was busy that day, and the midwife hurriedly said 'that's nothing!' before I was ushered off to the next department. I felt like this weight gain was much too little; I've since read I should have ideally gained 10-12lbs by that point.

All was well with the baby at the 20w scan. No comments about him being small.

I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm now about 10st2lbs, so it looks like I've gained about 9lbs so far. But I've looked at a couple of websites and this looks like only minimal weight gain; recommendations are to have gained 13/14lbs by now? I am careful with what I eat. I don't always feel hungry but I worry that I'm just not eating enough.

A typical days food for me now (since my 20w scan) is:

- Breakfast: Fruit & Fibre cereal with whole milk and tea with whole milk/no sugar
- Snack: 2 slices of fruitloaf with butter, tea with whole milk/no sugar
- Snack: Nakd bar with soya milkshake
- Lunch: Either Dairylea on 2 slices of toast or egg mayonnaise sandwich with butter, using 2 eggs and real mayonnaise, apple juice to drink, 1 packet of either Squares/Hula Hoops/Quavers crisps
- Snack: Apple
- Snack: Soya yoghurt and tea with whole milk/no sugar
- Snack: 3 oatcakes with a slice on mature cheddar on each oatcake, with a glass of whole milk
- Dinner: Spaghetti bolognase using Quorn mince, mushrooms, peppers and onions, or a piece of breaded haddock with chips and peas, or a Quorn pork steak with broccoli, potatoes and gravy. Diet lemonade or Diet Coke to drink
- Tea with whole milk/no sugar

BTW, I'm vegetarian.
I gained 26lbs overall when pg with dd1: she weighed 7lb5oz (8st10lbs pre-preg then)
I gained about 28lbs with dd2: she weighed 6lb9oz (about 9st7lbs pre-preg)

So what do you think? Am I eating enough? Does this kind of eating look good for a pregnancy diet?

Thurlow Fri 20-May-16 12:54:59

That sounds like an absolutely fine intake.

There's a good chance you lost weight during the first trimester. It's very common when you are suffering from sickness and nausea, but the important thing is that the baby will have taken everything it needs, so it doesn't matter if you're losing weight (unless you're losing it dramatically or are dehydrated).

I barely gained weight until the 3rd trimester in my first pregnancy. I gained 2.5st in total, and within a week of having the baby I weighed less than I did before I fell pregnant. All due to sickness.

If you are really worried talk to your midwife, but personally I wouldn't be worried. What you are gaining weight wise will have little to do with how the baby is growing, as it takes all the nutrients you've got and leaves you with fuck all.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 20-May-16 14:55:09

The daily diet you've posted looks fine to me.

I am 28 weeks and I've not gained a lot at all.

My food diary today

Breakfast porridge with berries, 1 whoemeal toast, fruit smoothie

Mid morning, hand ful of dried nuts and dried mango

Lunch , cheese salad sandwich, naked bar, olives, fresh mango

Right now, can of cola, Apple, grapes, pine apple

Dinner I'm going out with dh to the local Italian I will have dough balls to start and a past main ( probably ricotta and spinach ravioli) an ice cream dessert.

I was the same when I had my ds as well, but once I hit 30 weeks I had a bump appear out of no where.

Each pregancny is different and so woman don't gain all that much. Don't worry about it too much.
Of course if your really worried though talk to your mid wife

coppergrey Fri 20-May-16 18:01:41

I'm 13 weeks and I've gained 6lbs so far. Was weighed at booking in and again at 12 week scan and only had one comment, at the scan - 'perfect'. So I guess that's fine!

Your diet sounds fantastic compared to mine. I felt so nauseous for the first 10 weeks, all I wanted to eat was beige carbs and chocolate. Doing much better now but still, I'm aiming for your levels of healthy eating!

coppergrey Fri 20-May-16 18:03:46

Also I love reading what people are eating, so here's my food diary for today:

Soya yogurt with raspberries and blueberries
Avocado on sourdough with pine nuts and chilli
Diet Coke
Massive piece of chocolate cake
Mini Cheddars

For dinner I'm having chicken noodle pho and will probably have some more cake!

Eathecake Fri 20-May-16 18:07:56

Don't worry too much about weight gain.

I'm 24 weeks gained 10lb s far. . My food diary for today

Breakfast toast and 2 poached eggs, fruit salad
11am cake slice , Apple
Lunch beef and horseradish sandwich, crisp, dairy milk bar
4pm 3 special k bars
Dinner will be chow mein & sticky toffee pudding.

kiki22 Fri 20-May-16 18:26:38

I'm 26 weeks I've only gained 7lbs however I lost 6 initially so I'm only 1lb over my previous pregnancy weight. Weighing during pregnancy is on the out because it is so varied as long as you are healthy, eating well and keeping active is what is important.

QueenMolotov Fri 20-May-16 19:44:01

The Hank's for your replies, everyone. You've helped me to stop worrying so much! I have a midwife appointment on Tuesday, so I'll check with her.

I've had a cream cake and a Chinese takeaway this evening - not such healthy choices! grin

FutureGadgetsLab Fri 20-May-16 20:05:47

I gained about 15lbs total with mine. Had a tiny bump too. He was 7lb 11oz and perfectly normal sized. Don't worry!

I really don't think it matters much. I am just shy of 15w and gained 2 lb up to 13w and have lost 11lb in the past 2 due to being unwell. Baby is fine though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now