Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when you find out your pregnant when you weren't trying

(9 Posts)
spottytable Thu 19-May-16 20:07:00

I've just got a BFP today after realising i was 5 days late. We weren't trying and only had one quick unprotected session- yikes. Anyway I'm really excited but nervous at the same time.

Because we weren't trying I have drank alcohol and drank copious amounts of tea at work. Ive also done DIY and carried stuff that's heavy. I've also had a few binge weekends with girlfriends.

Has anyone else done/found out and panicking?

loosechange Thu 19-May-16 20:10:50

Yes, but not panicking. Youngest two DC have turned out fine, despite alcohol, tea and all other aspects if my not-planning-for-a-baby-right-now life.

Congratulations!

museumum Thu 19-May-16 20:14:08

I must have conceived ds mid December mere days after taking my last pill. I did the normal Xmas and NY drinking and didn't test till 7 January.
No problems. Healthy baby born in August that year.

Ffion3107 Thu 19-May-16 20:18:23

My DD had a bottle few shots of tequila before I realised I was pregnant (without trying) and had no problems. She's now a very happy 2 year old smile
Congratulations!

Ffion3107 Thu 19-May-16 20:19:20

You should start taking folic acid asap x

Junosmum Thu 19-May-16 20:48:47

I had a weekend bender, beer, cocktails, shots, 3nights running just before my bfp. No harm done.

Primaryteach87 Thu 19-May-16 21:00:48

I found out at 8 weeks as v irregular periods and took 5 years to conceive our eldest with fertility drugs etc. So rather a shock!

I hadn't taken any folic acids, I drank and generally hadn't been eating very well.

Please to say 12 & 20w scan are all fine.

Obviously I wouldn't have done this if I'd known I was pregnant but I didn't and can't change it. I won't say I didn't worry, but my mum made a good point. That in the 'olden days' no one really knew they were pregnant for 6-8 weeks anyway. So unless they were trying they might not have been that careful.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Peyia Thu 19-May-16 21:34:28

Congrats flowers

I'm being ignorant but what's the harm in tea? The NHS website gives recommend 'safe' amounts? I love tea! blush

skankingpiglet Thu 19-May-16 21:36:47

DD was a happy accident, I found out at 8wks preg. The night of (ahem!) 'creation' we had had a massive row, gone in separate directions, and got equally blind drunk. When we bumped back into each other we made up grin Condom split but for a variety of reasons the MAP wasn't an option and we thought the odds were small. Thought nothing more on it...
Then followed a number of weeks of regular social outings including a friend's hen weekend. I drank a lot in those weeks. In fact I was in a pub after work waiting for DH when I took the pregnancy test (I was that convinced it was going to be negative) - thankfully I hadn't been to the bar yet so didn't have to waste good gin!
DD appears to have survived the experience unscathed!

As for the heavy lifting part, I'm a carpenter so although through both pregnancies I have been mindful of not really over-doing it, not doing any heavy lifting wasn't an option. Last time I was on the tools until 38wks, this time I gave up at 32 (although still got a few small loose ends to tie up and loads of work on my own house to do). My midwife said I was fine to continue as I was used to it, but to not go crazy and to listen to my body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now