Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could it be twins? Help needed please :)

(10 Posts)
Becciilouisex3 Thu 19-May-16 16:33:57

Hello all smile I'm not sure whether I'm a crazy pregnant lady overthinking or I may have a point but I really need some advice from mums to put my mind at rest a little!

I'm currently 18+2 with my first. Twins run quite heavily in both myself and my boyfriend's family (his mother is a twin, he is not). Since, about 7 weeks I've had a "feeling" I was carrying twins. Not reliable I know but as pregnant women we all have these "I just know" feelings about things (whether or not we're right is a totally different matter!!).

I had my first (and only as yet) scan at 12+6. The midwife zoomed close in to take photos of baby however, there was a point in the scan where she zoomed far out for a couple seconds. I happened to notice what I took to be 2 sacks, one on the left and one on the right. Straight away when she had zoomed back in my boyfriend asked "there is only one baby isn't there?" and the midwife said yes. He then informed me that he had asked this as he had seen the two sacks that I then told him I had seen too.

This played on my mind but I was just happy my baby was healthy and pushed it to the back of my mind. However, I explained what we had seen to my usual midwife at my 16 week appointment and the fact that I believed I had picked up 2 heartbeats on my home doppler on multiple occasions. She asked me whether or not I was sure there was only 1 baby. I answered that as the midwife at the hospital had told me there was only 1, I had believed what I was told but that there was doubt in my mind. She told me we'd know for sure at my 20 week scan.

Since this, I took another look at the scan photos we have and compared them (we have 3 different images). I have provided the images for you to look at but basically, to me, 2 photos look the same and one looks different (I know this is the part where I sound crazy haha!) Image 1 is a clear image of baby, image 2 is a blurrier image of baby facing the same way and image 3 is the image in which I notice differences. Family members have acknowledged these differences too but don't really know what to think. I have circled the 2 main differences which are the shape of the head (In images 1 and 2, the head seems to go in quite a straight, smooth line down the face, thre isn't much of an ident near the eyes, nose or mouth. In the 3rd image, the forehead looks more prominent and there seems to be more of an indent where the facial features would be. The second difference is where the baby's neck would be (in the first 2 images there is a clear curve inwards between the head and back where the neck would be although it is slightly blurred in the image 2. In the 3rd image, there is no dent at all just a straight line from the head to the back).

I'm sure it could be my hormones driving me pretty insane but 1) would it be possible that I could be carrying twins that have been missed if they are in seperate sacks? 2) Are there any differences in baby or am I letting my hormones rule me as a crazy, overthinking pregnant lady?!

Thank you for letting me rant my mad ramblings and any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated! smile

icedcherrytea Thu 19-May-16 16:56:44

Hi

After looking at your scan pics I'd say your definitely only carrying one baby.

I'm 33 weeks with identical twins and from 8 weeks it was obvious there were 2 babies in their sacs.

The two heartbeats you probably heard one the umbilical cord and the heartbeat. The umbilical cord sounds like swooshing and the heartbeat sounds like a horse galloping.

Sorry. I got from your post your hoping it would be twins but I only see one baby. X

NeedACleverNN Thu 19-May-16 17:01:28

I can only see one baby too and I think by now it would be obvious

FuzzyOwl Thu 19-May-16 17:04:19

It's really easy to hear your own heartbeat as well as the umbilical cord or baby when using a Doppler, especially as early on as you are - lots of NHS trusts will no longer listen to the heartbeat at 16 weeks because trained midwives can struggle to find the heartbeat.

And twins in the family from your partner's side won't count - non identical twins can run in families and only on the maternal side as it is to do with multiple eggs being released and a male has no control over his partner doing this. Identical twins are completely random and you are no more likely to have them than somebody who has no history of twins in their family. If it is non identical twins that run in your family, then you will also have needed to inherited it from your mother and the odds are not that high.

I am certain from your pictures that you are only carrying one baby - if you have two sacs it is very clear, especially at 12 weeks and non identical twins could be eggs from different ovaries and be quite a distance from each other in the womb.

petmyunicorn Thu 19-May-16 17:08:02

Not twins. It would have been glaringly obvious at the twelve week scan.

Becciilouisex3 Thu 19-May-16 17:13:32

Thank you lovelies!

I had a feeling I was driving myself mad and it looks like I was right haha! My brain just works overtime completely honestly I'm a nightmare pregnant!

The help is very much appreciated! smile

Peyia Thu 19-May-16 17:31:16

PP's have made valid points but I just wanted to point that mistakes can happen, even in the medical profession.

There was a huge delay at my scan and I was told the sconogapher had spotted the second baby at the 20 week scan - it is possible!

Good luck with your pregnancy

Jojay Thu 19-May-16 17:35:40

I am no expert but at my 12 week scan the sonographer immediately spotted that it was twins, no hesitation at all.

I agree with pp that the likelihood of twins carries on down the maternal line, so twins in your dh's family makes no difference.

Enjoy your baby smile

sixinabed Thu 19-May-16 18:26:24

Another one thinking it's only one.

I understand that it's easier to see twins at the 12 week scan cos there's enough space that they don't get in each other's way. My scan pics from 12 wks showed both babies in each pic. The three pics you show all look like the same baby to me, and no sign at all of another in the background.

Congrats on your pregnancy and rest assured that obsessing over possibilities relating to your pregnancy is perfectly normal, although of course inadvisable (never stopped me though grin).

Good luck.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 19-May-16 18:36:10

The 'differences' are I think just because of the way the ultrasound shows you a 'slice' through the baby so there will be different shapes at different depths in the profile. Have a look on google at 12 week twin scan images.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now