Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

am I being ridiculous?

(7 Posts)
yorkshireteaa Wed 18-May-16 21:09:28

I've recently been on holiday in Japan and I got bitten a few times by mosquitoes whilst out there.

I am 21 weeks pregnant and now I'm terrified I may have got the Zika virus, even though I don't believe it is in Japan.

I'm feeling super anxious - am I being ridiculous and everything is probably fine?

Argh.

Junosmum Wed 18-May-16 22:45:27

Zika isn't present in Japan. You're worried about nothing.

FoxgloveStar Thu 19-May-16 01:35:44

Yes you are being ridiculous.

yorkshireteaa Thu 19-May-16 08:11:33

Thanks blushgrin

AnUtterIdiot Thu 19-May-16 08:15:03

A friend of mine came back from Brazil having been quite ill with a virus (probably not zika) just at around the time I would have conceived and my doctor laughed at me when I was anxious smile

coppergrey Thu 19-May-16 16:53:53

I got back from San Francisco a week ago - I was bitten by a mosquito and have been very anxious since... Zika is not present in the US, either.

I did loads (and loads) of research and have somewhat managed to calm myself down. But it is worrying and I totally understand your panic! Read up as much as you can, inform yourself with the facts and hopefully that will convince you it's all ok smile

dizzytomato Fri 20-May-16 13:15:32

I had Zika. You'd know! There is a rash, joint pain and my eyes hurt and wept the whole time. It is not nice but you would know if you have/had it. For most people it is nothing worse than mild flu.

It is a risk for pregnant woman but remember even if you get it in pregnancy it is not guaranteed to affect your unborn baby. There is a risk.

There is no Zika in Japan anyway! Chill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now