Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you take your DC into the 12 week scan?

(53 Posts)
OrianaBanana Wed 18-May-16 20:29:14

My 12 week scan is booked for when DS (4) is off at half term. My DH is looking after him, so I could go to the scan on my own, or have the two of them waiting in the waiting area and then, if all was OK and it was ok with the sonographer they could both come in and have a look. We meant to tell DS after the scan anyway. But DM seemed to think that was weird, and DS wouldn't really know what was going on.

We have no family locally and we don't know anyone in the area yet to leave him with (and the few other parents we know don't know I'm pregnant).

Is it weird to take him in (assuming all's well and sonographer allows) or is it Ok?

TeaBelle Wed 18-May-16 20:32:24

I wouldn't because if all isn't well then you and dh nay need to be able to take in a lot of info and not be able to concentrate on him. I'm sure it will all be fine but it would just be the small chance

mirrorballs Wed 18-May-16 20:33:30

I don't think I would take him to the hospital. Ours definitely don't allow children in to the scan room

ThoraGruntwhistle Wed 18-May-16 20:34:51

I don't think you're meant to take anyone but your partner in are you? 12 and 20 week scans are not really something to take children to, they can go later if you have a 3D or sexing scan.
I guess you can ask if they can both come but I would think it was better avoided.

FutureGadgetsLab Wed 18-May-16 20:35:12

I would probably, but I'd likely have had an early scan due to previous gynae issues and so would have a good idea whether the pregnancy was viable.

Your call.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Wed 18-May-16 20:36:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Wed 18-May-16 20:36:32

Most hospitals will say no.

CassandraAusten Wed 18-May-16 20:39:35

I took DS when I was pregnant with DD. It was fine. I thought he'd be interested but he wasn't that bothered tbh! He was a lot younger than your DS though.

OrianaBanana Wed 18-May-16 20:40:14

Maybe I'll phone and ask. It's just that if DS can't come, DH will miss it. Though he doesn't seem that fussed! smile

Wolfiefan Wed 18-May-16 20:40:20

Sorry myinlaws. I had bad news at 13 weeks.
flowers

Jenni2legs Wed 18-May-16 20:42:55

I did when my daughter was 4, it was bad news but they were discrete and we told her once we were outside as she knew we were there to see the baby.
We didn't have a childcare option, and it was a family moment albeit a sad one. Having her there made explaining the loss to her easier as we could explain that the baby wasn't there in the picture anymore.

OrianaBanana Wed 18-May-16 20:43:16

Sorry myinlaws and wolfie. sad If it was bad news I definitely wouldn't ask for DS to come in but at least DH would be within reach rather than back at home.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Wed 18-May-16 20:43:34

OrianaBanana Wed 18-May-16 20:44:18

And sorry jenni. I've had one miscarriage myself although it didn't make it to a scan and of course DS never knew.

Jenni2legs Wed 18-May-16 20:48:03

Thank you Oriana I hope you have a lovely scan and everything goes brilliantly xx

Machine123 Wed 18-May-16 20:53:01

I had to take ds who is 3 with me on both scans as we have no one to leave him with. The hospital didn't bat an eyelid. The sonographer even explained to him where the hands, feet were and got him to count the fingers/toes.

PeppasNanna Wed 18-May-16 20:53:27

I would never take dc to a scan. I have had a MMC. I only found out at my 12week scan.
I had, had an earlier scsn which showed the baby's heart beat & everything seemed fine.

I hsd no reason to suspect there was anything wrong.

flowers for all the losses.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Wed 18-May-16 20:53:39

Sleepingbunnies Wed 18-May-16 20:55:19

I took my DD1 into every scan with DD2. And took both DD1 and DD2 into every scam with DD3..no one ever told me they couldn't come in. I t

Boiing Wed 18-May-16 20:56:02

I'd ask first, my friend took her child in and the woman doing the scan had a massive go at her about how the child shouldn't be there (child was v sad / worried for a while after).

Wolfiefan Wed 18-May-16 20:56:40

You can't expect them to do a scan then invite your husband and son in. They have a limited time to check what they need to check.
My first pg was a MMC. I was a mess.
I would have been unable to keep it together enough not to scare kids in the waiting room.
Thankfully I now have two kids.

skankingpiglet Wed 18-May-16 20:59:02

We took our (at the time) 18mo to the scan for the same reason you're citing OP. No one to take her and DH wanted to be there. Obviously DD is too young to know what was going on whether it had been good or bad news but it was a PITA although far from a disaster. I've had to take her with me to a consultant, growth scan and birth options appointment alone too. I just took a big bag of toys, books, and particularly unhealthy but attractive snacks. The scans were actually the easiest appointments to manage with her as the wait was fairly short as were the appointments. The hospital certainly weren't against us me bringing her as they had toys set up in the waiting room.

middlings Wed 18-May-16 20:59:26

I wouldn't, just in case there's a complication.

If it's any consolation, DH wasn't at my 12 week scan for DD2 as he'd spent the previous day being sick and we decided inflicting him on a hospital wasn't a good idea. I recorded the heartbeat so he could hear it and I was fine on my own.

Nicnak2223 Wed 18-May-16 21:05:47

I was going to post and then I read wolfies post and it got me thinking about the other women.

What about anyone size who is coming out with bad news and us in the waiting room with you and your child.

I know Mt hospital say you can't bring children, however u know a friend of mine has.

I guess he is your ds you know best how he will be.

Nicnak2223 Wed 18-May-16 21:07:21

Auto correct fsils
#
Else not size

Is not us

My not Mt

I not u

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now