Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby shower! I need your help!

(6 Posts)
leapea30 Wed 18-May-16 13:17:39

Hi everyone
First time user of mums net.
Currently have no kids of my own but my very best friend is pregnant with her first and due at the end of September.
A few days ago I found myself volunteering to arrange her a baby shower.
I've now gone into a bit of a panic mode. I've never arranged a party let alone a baby shower. I have no idea where to start.
Also I don't have my own place yet so still living at home so can't hold it at my place.
Also what about costs?
Any help would be much appreciated.brewcakeconfused

Vixxfacee Wed 18-May-16 13:18:52

So if you volunteer then you have to cover all costs? ?!

duckyisback Wed 18-May-16 13:31:28

It doesn't have to be expensive. Can you organise it at her place? Or a mutual friends?

Just make finger food, get some cheap decorations? And look up what else people do at these things.

Personally I don't do baby showers so I don't know much about them, but by seeing friends pictures etc it doesn't look like it takes a great deal of planning and money.

Pinklily1 Wed 18-May-16 18:12:00

Another option would be to see if you can get a private room in a restaurant. That way everyone pays for their own food and you have a venue to hold it in! You could just get some balloons and a few other bits to decorate, which hopefully wouldn't be too expensive

malin100 Wed 18-May-16 18:35:19

I'm due around the same time and whilst I don't want anything actually thought of as a baby shower because I feel it will pressurise people into buying presents, I may take up the offer a friend made to host a barbeque at her house so a bunch of us can meet up in August which will be nice. I'll bake and so will she, and probably other people. I'll also bring some stuff for the barbecue. Doesn't need to be anything expensive and don't need decorations etc! It's the getting people together that's important really.

redtammy Wed 18-May-16 18:40:23

I would ask her who she would like to invite and get her to start a facebook group giving you admin rights. Then you can contact everyone, arrange a date, and ask everyone to bring food - allocate some snacks, some mains, some sweets. Or just do afternoon tea and have sandwiches and cakes. I think having it at her place is reasonable so wouldn't worry about a venue. Then ask her mum/sister/other close friends to help with decorating (balloons, bunting etc), ask her partner to take her out whilst you do that, and google for some easy/cheap games to do. I am basing this on organising any kind of party, having not actually ever attended a baby shower so can't give any advice on what actually goes on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now