Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain in 1st trimester

(15 Posts)
HandbagCrab Wed 18-May-16 10:38:15

Hi,

I'm 6-7 weeks pregnant and for the last week and a half I've been in a lot of pain. I had an early scan and everything looked fine with me and baby.

However the pain I'm feeling is not fine. It changes between bad cramps, shooting pains in my abdomen and back and scouring pains inside. Dr said I could take paracetamol but it's not touching the sides.

I also have bad nausea and uncontrolled crying fits. I've been signed off work this week but I have a stressful job and the thought of going back with how I feel now is filling me with terror.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I didn't experience this last time so I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone had this kind of pain in the 1st trimester? Did anything stop it?

YorkieDorkie Wed 18-May-16 10:56:39

I did have a LOT of cramping which was so painful that I could often be found in public loos hanging against the wall in agony. It usually lasted about 30 minutes. All was fine in my pregnancy, it was just my uterus expanding. I don't remember shooting pains though and even if you feel okay about it it's always worth checking it out with the midwives to be sure.

HandbagCrab Wed 18-May-16 11:50:01

Thanks. Sorry to hear you were in so much pain. When did the cramping stop for you?

Ashpan26 Wed 18-May-16 14:14:08

I feel for you I have pains everyday today it's shooting pains mostly on my left side which makes me worry other times it's cramping pains I think it's normal because everything is stretching I'm booked for an early scan tonight so hopefully everything's ok. I can only recommend heat and paracetamol make some pregnancy yoga to help relax muscles

HandbagCrab Wed 18-May-16 18:31:09

I hope your scan has gone well ashpan and that you feel better soon.

YorkieDorkie Wed 18-May-16 18:40:17

I think the cramping stopped around 8-10 weeks? It was a while ago now so can't quite remember accurately! Always get checked out if you're concerned though, worrying does absolutely no good to either of you!

HandbagCrab Wed 18-May-16 19:27:29

Thanks yorkie I was hoping you would say it was only in your first trimester. I hope it's the same for me too smile

Kariana Thu 19-May-16 00:17:32

I had the nausea and crying during the first trimester and work got so overwhelmingly stressful I gave serious thought to quitting. It was mostly hormones though. The pain saved itself for the second trimester and has reduced me to tears when it's been at its worst but it's just things stretching.

Hope things get better for you soon!

HandbagCrab Thu 19-May-16 12:53:08

Kariana that sounds like how I feel. Sorry it was so spread out for you. I hope I don't have pain in the 2nd trimester too!

Kariana Fri 20-May-16 10:05:27

I hope you don't either! Hopefully it will fade for you by then. Luckily it only lasts a day or two and then it's fine. I started to feel much better around week 14, suddenly I was full of energy! Without the pain it would be a great trimester!

HandbagCrab Tue 31-May-16 20:02:40

Just wanted to update in case anyone reads and is in pain too. I'm still in pain and now have codeine to help with it, though my gp doesn't want me to take it for too long. I'm going to see a midwife this week and we'll see if they can shed any light as to why I'm in pain.

I've really had enough to be honest. I'm afraid there's something wrong and I'm tired and worn out by the pain.

SeashellHoarder Tue 31-May-16 20:42:14

Handbag, I know it's tough right now. I'm 10 weeks and between the morning sickness, cramps, stabbing pains every time I stand up, emotions all over the place, its honestly made me wonder what the hell I'm doing this for (I've already got 2 wonderful, why did I want another).

But, i think this will pass really soon, I had similar but less extreme in my second pregnancy, only in the first trimester though. Hopefully it will stop soon for you too.

HandbagCrab Tue 31-May-16 20:52:31

Thanks seashell it's nice to know I'm nit alone, though I wouldn't wish this in anyone and I hope you feel better soon. The more I hear about it fading after the first trimester the more reassuring it is smile

SeashellHoarder Tue 31-May-16 21:00:07

My completely unscientific theory is that every pregnancy is worse than the last. (this is based on a sample size of 3).

There will not be a fourth.

You've haven't mentioned it but are you on any thing for the nausea/ sickness? There are a few meds safe to take. It might be worth asking the gp.

HandbagCrab Tue 31-May-16 22:16:37

I am also on my last pregnancy, though I am wondering whether I should have stopped at one.

I'm not on anything for nausea as I don't think it is too bad. It can be hard to tell what's nausea and what's pain sometimes and I have a gp appointment later this week so I might see if they can give me something - I suppose it would be one less thing to be dealing with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now