Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Empty sac at 7 weeks ultrasound

(5 Posts)
Kaylajade21 Tue 17-May-16 14:54:54

Hi so i should be 7 weeks and 4 days today. At 5 weeks i had some pink spotting when wiping so was sent for early US at 6 weeks. Saw empty sac measuring at 4 weeks. Went back 10 days later and still empty sac but it had grown and was told it looks like a failed pregnancy and that i might miscarry. Nurse also said i shouldve been re-scanned 2 weeks after first scan, not just 10 days. Been spotting ever since first scan, mainly when i wipe. But i thought seen as the sac had grown and if im measuring early, id only be at 5 weeks so is that still too early to see something in there? Or am i just being too hopefulsad ive heard so many stories about ladies going in for medically managed miscarriage then seeing a heartbeat or lots of ladies just not seeing a heart beat til 8/9 weeks?

smellsofelderberries Tue 17-May-16 19:49:57

I'm really sorry but an empty sac doesn't sound like positive news at this stage. Was there no sign of a yolk sac at least? They don't need to wait two weeks between scans, guidelines say no growth between scans no closer than 7 days apart is enough to diagnose an unviable pregnancy. It is such a shit time. Have they discussed your options with you? Under the 'Body and Soul' tab on the main talk page there is a section on miscarriage. Have a browse through there and maybe chat to some of the other ladies.

If it's any consolation, it took me 8 months to fall pregnant with my first pregnancy, which was not dissimilar to what you're currently going though, except there was enough growth for them to not let me talk about options until I was 10.5 weeks. I had surgery at 11+2 and got a BFP just under 8 weeks later, with only 1 period in between. I'm not 14+3 and things are perfect with this one.

Apple111 Tue 17-May-16 23:07:53

Hi hon sorry to read this. I had same a few years ago at 8 weeks. Went back 10 days later and same again. I was devastated but after I started to think clearer and decided it was better to happen then than later something go wrong. I then felt better about it and got my BFP 2 cycles later. That little bundle is now three and legging it round with his planes and cars xx

Apple111 Tue 17-May-16 23:11:16

To add im currently 5 weeks so I'm nervous about first scan but know if this does happen to me again it's not my fault and ive had a perfectly bouncing little boy since.. Life's just throws stuff at us sometimes but we can deal with it and move on ️xx

Kaylajade21 Wed 18-May-16 00:06:04

Thanks ladies. Not discussed yet, said they would at next scan if still no progress.
The not knowing is the worst! Yes thats how me and partner feel too, lucky in a way as some people have it so much worse being further along then something awful happening etc. Just want to know so we can deal with it if its the worse then move on and try again! Do believe everything happens for a reason! After trying for a year too we're atleast pleased to know we can concieve! Good luck with your scan! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now