Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

glucose test

(16 Posts)
kbedford249 Tue 17-May-16 12:25:34

hi everyone
does everyone go for a glucose test i have received a letter to go at 28 weeks why?

thanks
kate

boatgirl81 Tue 17-May-16 13:05:14

They are not routine for everyone but there would have been something in your history or something mentioned at the booking in appointment that would have triggered it. Do any family members have diabetes?

I had the test in both my pregnancies, because of family history and having a BMI of over 30, 1st pregnancy I came back clear but I do have it in this pregnancy.

Hensintheskirting Tue 17-May-16 13:10:11

I think it depends where you live as to whether they're routine. where I am everyone gets one.

kbedford249 Tue 17-May-16 13:27:12

my Bmi is under 30 and no family history. Wish they would tell you before sending letter makes me worry.
I was thinking they may have found sugar in my urine?

NisekoWhistler Tue 17-May-16 13:34:23

Where I live they do it routinely at 20 and 28 weeks for those 35 years and over, could that be the reason why?
Also people of south East Asian decent are more susceptible to diabetes.

Please don't be worried, it's not an overly pleasant test but really there is worse. Good luck

LittleLionMansMummy Tue 17-May-16 16:49:22

Do you have pcos? I have that (as well as being over 35, slightly elevated bmi and family history). I had no family history last time around (it developed since), was not overweight and not over 35 but still had to have the test due to pcos.

KP86 Tue 17-May-16 16:50:58

Standard for everyone where I'm from too. Some do the easy test (drink then one blood test), and some higher risk women get the full GTT over three hours.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 17-May-16 16:51:05

Go for it. It's a simple painless test and will show of you have gestational diabetes. It's common to have GD with no symptoms and if it isn't caught your baby can be very very ill.

bunnyrabbit93 Wed 18-May-16 09:41:45

I went for a glucose test because I have sugar in my urine 3 times. It's a bit boring waiting 3 hours in between blood tests I suggest bringing a book. Call your midwife and ask maybe ?

SmallBee Wed 18-May-16 09:53:27

I'm actually in the middle of mine at the moment. They've just changed the regulations for anyone with a bmi of +25. Its easy enough if a bit time consuming.

Kstar8 Wed 18-May-16 10:58:57

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have this test coming up in a few weeks as there is a family history.

The letter says the drink may make me feel faint and I've seen some people say the drink made them sick. This is making me feel panicky about the test as I have anxiety around being ill especially in public.
Is it that bad?

YorkieDorkie Wed 18-May-16 11:05:27

Some areas it is actually routine - my hospital is York, I had one because of BMI at the time. I asked about it and the blood nurse told me that it's routine in certain areas because of the different ethnicities. Apparently some ethnic groups are much more likely to develop GD and so as the population is much more diverse in areas, they just blanket test everyone. If I'd been in Leeds or Bradford (area where I work) then it's routine. I'm assuming the nurse knew what she was on about but if anyone knows different please say!

SmallBee Wed 18-May-16 12:24:54

Hi Kstar, I had it this morning and was fine. It was like a very sweet capri sun. I'd imagine the reason most people might feel sick or faint is because you have to fast for twelve hours before hand, then they take some blood and then you have the drink. So it's not the actual drink iyswim?
They recommend that you take it easy whilst waiting in between blood tests so if you can't go home in between bring a book.

Kstar8 Wed 18-May-16 13:33:25

Thanks smallbee! That's reassuring! I was feeling more nervous about the test than labour!

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Wed 18-May-16 13:47:42

It's not that bad. And actually, gestational diabetes isn't that bad either, really. It's far better to know you have it and have appropriate monitoring etc - the complications of uncontrolled GD can be very grim. Mind you, I'll be glad when my baby is born and it's over and done with!

Cakeymum Wed 18-May-16 15:08:35

Hi Kstar8 - I quite liked the drink smile it was like when you drink the melted bit of a calypo ice lolly! Or lemon squash that hasn't been diluted anywhere near enough. Its incredibly sweet.

Its boring sat around waiting for the 2 hours (especially as our waiting area had no wifi or phone signal) so take a book. Bring a (non-sugary) snack with you to have afterwards especially if you are driving home just in case you feel a bit wobbly from the fasting

I'm on my second GD pregnancy, its fine and the benefit is you tend to limit how much weight you put on and a lot of people lose weight on the diet. You get extra scans too which is nice and reassuring

Takes a while to get used to what you can or can't eat but its a v healthy diet to follow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now