Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre eclampsia or worrying over nothing....

(17 Posts)
Showgirl109 Tue 17-May-16 11:32:11

This is my first pregnancy and I am 29 weeks, I have always had very low blood pressure, its never been over 100. At my last midwife appointment my blood pressure had gone up to 120 and there was protein in my urine sample.
I was away at the weekend and had lots of swelling in my feet so much that I could not get my flip flops on, this has now gone down.

The baby (who has never been particularly active is not moving very much at all now so far today i have felt no movement at all. However I had my blood pressure taken at work today and it has gone up again to 125. Obviously this is still a low blood pressure but I thought it was the change that mattered I don't know what to do now.

I have another midwife appointment in 2 weeks so i don't know if i should wait until then and discuss my concerns or who I should contact otherwise. Don't want anyone to think im making a fuss over nothing just starting to feel a bit anxious about the whole thing. Really don't know what to do.

Salene Tue 17-May-16 11:34:43

It's your first pregnacy, it's normal to
worry. Call your midwife to discuss that's what's she is there for. You sitting worrying for two weeks will do you or the baby any good

Salene Tue 17-May-16 11:35:14

Will not do you or baby any good

That's should say

ListenToYourHeart Tue 17-May-16 11:37:46

I'd say call your midwife to get some advice, especially regarding movements.

Best to get things checked out x

Stumbleine Tue 17-May-16 11:44:30

Please call your maternity unit re reduced movements! Best of luck

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 17-May-16 11:49:53

If you've noticed a change in baby's movements, you should call your midwife or maternity assessment unit to get advice about this. I would be calling them today, sooner rather than later.

Get things checked out by the midwives. If there is something you need to worry about, better to find out now than in 2 weeks time.

Also, try not to worry about making a fuss out of nothing. Whenever I've contacted the midwife / maternity assessment unit with concerns, the message from them has always been that they'd rather check you out and find nothing wrong, than have you ignore your concerns (say because you don't want people thinking you're making a fuss over nothing) and then find out something really was wrong.

Hope all goes okay.

Showgirl109 Tue 17-May-16 15:32:53

Thank you so much everyone, the midwife called me back to say come in for tests and monitoring. Just feel a bit silly! Fingers crossed!

Pagetta Tue 17-May-16 22:07:57

Don't feel silly - I've been in twice for same reason they have been absolutely lovely and very thorough - totally the right thing to do if you have ANY concerns.
Hope all is OK x

ReturnoftheWhack Tue 17-May-16 22:10:41

Hope all is ok OP

Showgirl109 Wed 18-May-16 08:14:55

Unfortunately it wasn't as reassuring as I expected. There was still protein in my urine and my bp has now gone up 40 since booking. The midwife was really dismissive of my concerns. She kept saying that my blood pressure is normal and sent me home. Feel a bit silly.

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 08:20:00

Do you have a FMU at your hospital? If so ring them, or just turn up.

I wouldn't take your midwife's word on this one. The combination of symptoms you have MAY be concerning. You certaily should be being monitored more regularly for a while.

if you start suffering headaches, or pain, or any sort of visual disturbance or more swelling, then you need to get to hospital urgently. But I'm sure you know that.

Showgirl109 Wed 18-May-16 08:29:18

This was the midwife at the maternity assessment unit at the hospital. I have never met her before and she was a bit scary! I have a blood pressure machine (courtesy of MIL) so I'm going to keep checking it. Apparently they are not concerned unless your bp is. About 159, at which point that just seems dangerous!

Quills Wed 18-May-16 09:32:46

In my experience, I was taken in for induction at 39 weeks when my BP was 150/110, and that's compared to a booking BP of 120/75. I wouldn't be happy, to be honest.

How is baby moving today? Can you get in touch with your named midwife to express your concerns?

PhoebeJeebies82 Wed 18-May-16 09:41:08

Can you ring your midwife today and see her?

With my 3rd I had raised bp and protein at 26 weeks, went in to be monitored and bloods taken which dismissed pre-eclampsia. I was in a couple more times after that (thanks to my midwife sending me in) and always the same. I was having home visits from midwife 3 times a week and had my baby at 40+4.

Pre-eclampsia was ruled out but I found out later I had acute fatty liver of pregnancy (aflp)

If you are worried ring your mid wife, that's what they are there for.

Are there more movements today?

Showgirl109 Wed 18-May-16 09:48:06

Quills that is my concern - that they will not take it seriously until later on. I'll ring my midwife today and see what she says. i was lead to believe that it was the change in your bp that was important.

Movement is better today, felt her move around this morning. Thank you so much ladies was beginning to feel like i was crazy!

onceuponadream2016 Wed 18-May-16 10:07:46

Did they check the baby's movements and heartbeat though ? Can't beat dismissive midwives, whenever you're in doubt get checked I say ! Regardless if you've just been in or whatever, you need the peace of mind ! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy ! smile

onceuponadream2016 Wed 18-May-16 10:08:08

*cant bear...damn autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now