Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food Aversions

(12 Posts)
SophieOlivia Tue 17-May-16 10:58:53

Hi guys,

Please help. I'm 12 weeks pregnant (first scan is one weeks time) and I am completely off all food .... Except fast food.
Generally I'm a good eater with fruits vegetables and a balanced diet with the odd fast food treat. But since being pregnant I want nothing but fast food. I can't stomach anything except burgers fries etc! The thought of anything else socked me (even things I would usually love)
What can I do?

SophieOlivia Tue 17-May-16 10:59:29

Sickens *

RuskBaby Tue 17-May-16 13:14:56

The baby will be taken all the goodness from you so don't worry about that. Your tastes should change too, between now and 14 ish weeks as you hit your 2nd trimester. I've lived off beige food when I can owing to sickness and nausea but everyone has told me baby will be fine and you will go back to healthy eating when you can.

mrsnec Tue 17-May-16 13:27:37

I had food aversions in all my pregnancies and didn't really worry about what I was eating just that it was better to eat something than not at all. I had terrible nausea too.

I did try to limit the junk but ended up living off cereal and sandwiches. I found some fruit was ok so I ate a fair bit of that. Most of my aversions were ok as soon as they were born. I was delighted to enjoy coffee and yoghurt again for example but some aversions are still here like cauliflower and broccoli for example.

But yes you will be fine although you may find your tastes change.

ThinkPinkStink Tue 17-May-16 13:52:24

I normally have a pretty varied and balanced diet, but during my first trimester I ate nothing but beige food (I had an M&S basic cheese and ham sandwich for breakfast every day, no salad, just cheese, ham and mayo and the only other thing I could stomach was marmalade on toast).

By the second trimester that completely changed, and I found myself hankering after grapes upon grapes, my current food-love is strawberries.

I'm pretty sure that your body demands (and rejects) food based on an innate understanding of what nutrients it needs to support the baby.

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS flowers

Pinkheart5915 Tue 17-May-16 13:54:51

In early pregnancy you just have to eat what you can keep down it normally does pass.

I'm 27 weeks now and back to my normal pre pregnancy diet, although I love olives never did before I will eat them with everything even ice cream

coppergrey Tue 17-May-16 14:36:41

I'm 13 weeks today and finally feel like I'm getting my normal appetite back. The first 12 weeks was a haze of beige carbs. I loved Double Cheeseburgers, chips, crisps, bread, cheese... couldn't stomach anything green, basically!

I'm getting there now and hoping as I move into the second trimester it'll keep improving. So don't worry - eat what you can and concentrate on feeling well!

ifigoup Tue 17-May-16 14:43:30

I couldn't eat any vegetables during the first tri, and was iffy on meat, anything too sweet and anything too fatty. It passed by 18-ish weeks (now 35 weeks) and I've been able to eat everything since then.

cheekstime Tue 17-May-16 14:59:01

It will get better maybe in a couple of weeks time I was the same because I was so nauseous, I had a calorie deficient. So junk food helped at least it was something. When the nausea lifted I could cook again up to then couldn't be bothered, the sight of raw meat YUK. I always took a preg multi vit to cover the bases, insurance really. Try not to worry I caught up big time with my eating in the second trimester and all testign good.

Try and be conscious as you can about maybe 'non put off' good foods, like soups maybe. all you can do is try, I remember it being a tough time and try not to feel guilty. I was just the same really keen to eat well then I couldn't at all.

Around 14 wks I started to pep up, which meant eating some more junk at first cause I had been under eating but like I mention before then back on my way! from then onwards. Good Luck and congratualtions flowers

nervoussam Tue 17-May-16 15:36:09

Could you continue with your beige food diet whilst you're feeling sicky and try and stomach one small smoothie a day to try and get some goodness in you?

Are you taking a pregnancy multi-vitamin also?

ThinkPinkStink Tue 17-May-16 17:16:22

one small smoothie a day to try and get some goodness in you?

Oh yes nervoussam that reminds me, I had a smoothie every day in my first trimester (to try to get some nutrients in me). I wholly recommend it, I usually had:

Glug of rice milk
Couple of table spoons of natural low fat yogurt
Large handful of fresh or frozen berries
Half a banana

MargaretCabbage Tue 17-May-16 17:23:30

I suffered from food aversion throughout the whole of my first pregnancy and the second one seems to be going the same way. I am living on beige food but do like pomegranate so at least there's that. Now I'm in the second trimester and not being sick so much I am managing some veg if I've hidden the taste and texture in other foods. My DS was made of junk food and is completely fine, and my tastes went back to normal immediately after he was born.

Sorry, it's rubbish, but just manage what you can and take your vitamins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now