Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cervical erosion

(7 Posts)
ohanami Mon 16-May-16 18:27:18

I went to triage last week with bleeding after having sex. All seemed fine and they said it was caused by an ectropion/cervical erosion, so packed me off home nice and quickly. They said to go back if I have any cramps, pain or further bleeding but they didn't touch on the crucial question (and being 2am I was a bit too sleepy to think of it then), but is it ok to have sex again?

99percentchocolate Mon 16-May-16 18:32:43

I have this - I wouldn't risk it to be honest. Basically, Cervical erosion (ectropian) bleeds are caused by a raw section of either your womb or cervix being rubbed against. This could be from exercise, sex, or even bowel movements. I was advised to avoid sex by several doctors.

Cakescakescakes Mon 16-May-16 18:34:09

I had this too. Sometimes it needs cauterised to prevent further bleeding. Sometimes it can resolve/heal itself given time. Make a GP appointment.

ohanami Mon 16-May-16 22:56:48

Thank you! Will see if I can get hold of a midwife tomorrow to ask. Don't believe I forgot to ask the Dr when I was in triage ("it's a spot on your cervix that's more likely to bleed, don't worry about it, go home.")

1frenchfoodie Tue 17-May-16 06:59:58

I have this and experienced bleeding at 7 months. But as it was pre-existing and not triggered by sex before I didn't (after a week for healing) avoid sex and neither was I advised to. It is a question of scale so if you were not advised to avoid sex chances are you'll be fine - best to check with midwife as you plan.

Annabrooke90 Tue 17-May-16 12:08:13

I had one with ds2, the patch can still Be seen now five years on according to the docs. But does not bleed anymore. I wasn't told to avoid sex when I had it.

kittygirl33 Tue 17-May-16 15:31:47

I had a cervical erosion during my last pregnancy and it bled at around 29 weeks. We avoided sex mainly as I'm rhesus negative so any bleeding requires an anti-D injection in the bottom (nice!). It bled for around two weeks that time before stopping. I'm currently 10w 4d pregnant with my second and the erosion is still there and has already caused some spotting (after sex). It's a right pain but we're now avoiding sex at least until after the first trimester. The advice I was given first time round was that it was pretty harmless but sex would likely prolong the bleeding, which is never fun when you're pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now