Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brown bleeding after internal scan

(6 Posts)
Ml1091 Mon 16-May-16 12:44:00

Hello,

I cant get an answer from the hospital but I am very worried.

I have had some drama at the beginning of this pregnancy so long story short I was sent for an internal scan.

I went to the hospital on Thursday - The person who done the scan was pulling the stick around a bit looking at the sides. Anyway, we saw a baby and a heartbeat looking healthy at 8+1.

I started getting some pink/brown blood on Saturday morning. There is only a small amount when I wipe after going to the toilet. But, it is now Monday and this is still happening to me!

Is this normal or should I be worried. There is no pain or red blood just brown.

My midwife told me to call the EPU Monday morning which I did. They are so unhelpful and told me to call if it gets worse.

Please help. I am so worried.

puddock Mon 16-May-16 12:52:04

It's quite common to experience something like this if the cervix has been nudged about a bit - e.g. after sex - and it's probably nothing to worry about. The EPU can't really do much to reassure you - there's no point in scanning you again at this point IYSWIM, and brown (old) blood loss is not usually concerning.
I had a lot of this in my first pregnancy until week 14 or so, I do remember the worry.

LittleLionMansMummy Mon 16-May-16 13:00:37

I think I was warned that an internal scan can cause some slight bleeding but that it should settle down after a couple of days. As the cervix can become sensitive during pregnancy I don't think slight bleeding is particularly unusual (and if it's Brown it suggests perhaps old blood cells have become dislodged) particularly if the flow doesn't become heavier and is not accompanied by pain. They should also have reassured you that internal scans cannot cause miscarriage. It does sound like the poking and prodding of the scan has perhaps disrupted some cells (in the same way that picking your nose can!) I would leave it another day and if it still hasn't settled, call them again. Although seemingly unhelpful, I would take it as a good sign that they do not appear too worried.

RuskBaby Mon 16-May-16 13:40:50

I had bleeding after both of my internals, try not to worry - you still will but that's normal.

Ml1091 Mon 16-May-16 14:33:10

Thank you smile

This does make me feel better!

ccsays Mon 16-May-16 22:26:43

I agree, I had similar after cervical irritation, I'm now 21+2. I found it helpful to keep in mind at this stage that after seeing a heartbeat at 8 weeks your chance of miscarriage drops dramatically (1.5% at 8 weeks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now