Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

30 Weeks pregnant - weird rhythmic twitching - NOT hiccups

(14 Posts)
JMLC Sun 15-May-16 12:39:35

Hey there, just wondering if anyone else has had/is having the same experience? I'm nearly 30 weeks and for the past 6 or weeks I've been having very strange rhythmic twitching movements very low down on the left hand side of my bump. My baby's head is right underneath my ribs on my right so it can't be hiccups as they'd be in the middle of my belly. It happens about 4-6 times a day (that I notice) - it's a bit like when you get a twitch in your eye and it lasts for about 1-8mins each time. It feels like a foot kicking. The midwife said she'd never heard of this and brushed it off, but I'm really worried there's some sort of neurological problem with the baby! Would be great to hear from anyone who has had the same experience, or whether you know what it is. Thank you...

AliceInHinterland Sun 15-May-16 13:56:14

I had this with my first (now two years old and neurologically normal as far as I know) and once he was born he still had a few twitches in his legs which I could tell were the same thing. I understand that it is perfectly normal because their neurological system is not totally mature when they're born [http://www.parents.com/baby/health/scary-but-normal-baby-symptoms/]. It is weird that your midwife hasn't heard of it and wouldn't reassure you, I knew several people that had it too (although I've not noticed it really this time around so some babies are just different!).

AliceInHinterland Sun 15-May-16 13:56:52

Link fail but hopefully you can cut and copy!!

houseeveryweekend Sun 15-May-16 14:05:58

I had this! I was really afraid he he had epilepsy or something but when he was born I realised what it was. When he stretches out his arm his little fist shakes. I think actually I get the same thing when I stretch out especially if I'm tired. When I saw him doing it I knew at once that that was what hed been doing in the womb to make the shaking feeling. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with him. I wouldn't worry, if your midwife doesn't think there is anything wrong and there are no other indicators that theresanything neurological wrong, then its very likely it is just some sort of muscle movement thayour baby is making. If you think about it theres loads of movements you could make that might cause that sensation if you were in a womb. Also sometimes foetuses will practise different movements in utero so you might feel the same muscle movement over and over for a couple of weeks and then they will move on to a different one. xx

cheapredwine Sun 15-May-16 14:14:48

Think this sounds like something I had - completely normal muscle spasms which are more common in pregnancy, not from the baby though. Felt like a phone on vibrate was inside my bump, like a rhythmic buzzing. I thought consultant would say I was bonkers but she said it's quite common, absolutely nothing to worry about and they're not sure why it happens. I had it on and off from about 27-30 weeks but nothing since.

JMLC Sun 15-May-16 20:15:27

Thanks ladies, all v reassuring! . I didn't have anything like it in my first pregnancy so was just a bit freaked out by this. I was also quite surprised the midwife had never heard of anything like this either. Anyway I shall try to stop worrying as there's nothing I can do anyway! x

Pagetta Sun 15-May-16 21:25:00

I'm having this and was googling it the other day - I can tell hiccups as they are a bit more definite, but this is almost like a heavy pulse feeling - I read tat it can be your baby doing 'practice breathing' - you can't always feel but the description seems to fit what I can feel!

Backingvocals Sun 15-May-16 21:29:34

Dd was born at 35 weeks and she twitched for a few weeks once she was born. I didn't feel anything pre birth as I had anterior placenta but after birth she definitely used to twitch quite a bit. Probably until she was term iyswim. I'd guess it's just an immature system. She's 9 now and NT.

AliceInHinterland Sun 15-May-16 21:30:27

It felt like mice running around to me, very quick, apparently linked to hiccups (similar sort of muscle spasm) and I have to say pregnancy number one was also more hiccup-y! Maybe I've got a chilled one this time - or maybe I'm just too busy with my toddler to notice.

sammyjayneex Sun 15-May-16 23:08:58

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my baby boy does this in my tummy. I would see a pulsating movement and wonder what it was but after doom research it appears to be the baby doing practise breathing where they inhale the fluid around them and that. It worries me at first to be honest but I'm sure everything is fine. If you look and observe it actually looks like hes breathing so I think that's what it is.

sammyjayneex Sun 15-May-16 23:09:33

Doing *

Osirus Sun 15-May-16 23:51:34

I had this the other night and it really looked like breathing! Very weird.

cheekstime Mon 16-May-16 09:45:46

Hello - I think that's the baby practising breathing its it diaphargm moving x

estherboo Mon 16-May-16 11:21:50

Hi. I've been getting these the last few days I am 35+3. I feel and see twitching in my left lower belly, mostly when I sit. My midwife reckons it's my abdominal muscles twitching as they are being stretched out and I guess that's pretty much what it feels like. It lasts for about 5 minutes twitching every second or so and then it stops. Is this what you have too?
I was kinda hoping it was hiccups as my baby was breach on a scan last week and low down hiccups would indicate it had turned, but sadly not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now