Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when to pack a hospital bag?

(9 Posts)
headinthecloud Sun 15-May-16 08:58:28

Morning all... When did you or when will you prepare a hospital bag for you and baby?

Beansprout30 Sun 15-May-16 08:59:42

Following! What stage are you at head? I'm 30 weeks and think maybe I should get one organised!

makingmiracles Sun 15-May-16 09:06:21

I think after 30wks it's never too early as baby could arrive earlier anyway.
I'm 36 wks now and got baby's packed and mine half packed! Being really complacent about it as all mine have gone two weeks overdue so in my head I've still got another 6wks!
A word of advice- pack food. Hospital food is often not very nice and if you end up having baby in the night you'll get offered tea and toast but nothing else-which if you've laboured for 12+hours and not had anything to eat/missed dinner the night before you will be ravenous! I'm packing myself some nice cereal in a Tupperware pot too so I get a good breakfast if I'm in overnight!

headinthecloud Sun 15-May-16 09:12:05

I'm 25 weeks so was thinking of starting to get the bits I need now and then I would probably be ready in about a month as in all packed. My eldest was 3 weeks early and I've had a very complicated pregnancy this time hence feeling a bit nervous and unprepared.

socktastic Sun 15-May-16 09:27:15

I think I made my list at about 26 weeks but then just kept putting it off. Now at 33 weeks it's mostly packed but I'm sure there's still bits and pieces missing. I just don't know what!

Annabrooke90 Sun 15-May-16 09:49:32

In my first three pregnancies, it was packed around 35-36 weeks. My last pregnancy it was half done at 34 weeks (when I had him), so family members had to run around getting the last bits, which was things like a nighty for after the birth and a few t-shirts, smaller baby grows and snacks etc.

Think this time I am going to have it ready for around 32 weeks, just so it is there and ready. I tried to call into asda on way to hospital last time to get the last stuff, but I was contracting slightly to close together to make it haha.

MessyBun247 Sun 15-May-16 09:52:56

O god I didn't properly pack mine til my due date grin. She arrived 40+5 so it worked out ok!

changingagain Sun 15-May-16 09:54:45

I started a list very early and it was probably around 26 weeks that I got the bag ready. I found that it was just one of those little things that helped me to feel a bit more in control. Most the things I had in my bag stayed in the bag though and we're neverr used.

AlexandraEiffel Sun 15-May-16 10:05:49

First baby I had a list and my husband did it in early labour stage. I didn't want my brush and toothbrush packed away in advance, for example.
Second baby I had a home birth, but if I'd needed to transfer in would have been done whilst waiting for ambulance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now