Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

growth scan

(11 Posts)
KayTee87 Fri 13-May-16 16:48:53

Hello,

I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and am measuring 33 so I've been booked in for a growth scan on Monday. Does anyone know what I can expect from this? If the baby is measuring large then what do they do? I've had a gtt due to family history of diabetes and I 'passed' so don't think I'd be sent for another.
Do they suggest induction at 40 weeks with a large baby?
What is considered large?
Lots of questions! I've never seen the same midwife twice and there was a student at my appointment so didn't feel comfortable asking lots of questions for some reason.

keylimepieforme Fri 13-May-16 16:57:21

I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and measuring 3 weeks small! Having a growth scan on tues.
Sorry I have no information or insight feeling just as clueless and worried as youconfused
Hope all goes well for you though and you get all the info you need, they'll most probably be able to tell you more at your scan flowers

KayTee87 Fri 13-May-16 17:19:23

It's so confusing isn't it, I haven't put on a lot of weight and don't have GD so if the baby is big then I can only think it's down to genetics DH was a big baby but is a slim adult, I was relatively small at about 7lbs.

KayTee87 Fri 13-May-16 17:19:49

Just realised we're due date buddies smile

BumpAndGrind Fri 13-May-16 17:25:08

I'm 30 weeks tomorrow too!

I had a growth scan last week but my baby was measuring bang on for dates so I'm not much help. Sorry.

KayTee87 Fri 13-May-16 17:26:22

Bump do you know why they did a growth scan if you were measuring spot on? Confused by it all.

KayTee87 Fri 13-May-16 17:26:57

Also what do they actually measure at the scan?

keylimepieforme Fri 13-May-16 17:34:14

They measure the head, abdomen and leg, think it's the thigh bone? they can then calculate an average weight/size
23rd of July is a popular date then! grin

MrsGlam Fri 13-May-16 17:35:24

I had lots of growth scans because of a large baby..Just because you passed one GTT doesn't mean they won't ask for another btw..I had 3 in my pregnancy my last one came back positive for GD..I was induced at 38 weeks because of that...My LB was measured at 8lb2oz 4 days before induction he was 7lb6oz when born, growth scans are very unreliable!

BumpAndGrind Fri 13-May-16 17:37:09

My last baby was 2 months early and measured small, I also have hyperemesis.

I'm under consultant care so I think it was just part of the course. Not sure if it was really needed.

They just measured the baby the same way they measure them at the 12wk scan.

I was 28 weeks and they baby was guessed at 2lb 9oz, they were happy with that.

They are known for being inaccurate though. They thought DD was small, she was small at the 20 wk scan so I had extra scans, but born at 31 weeks she was 3lb 6oz, not really that small at all!

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Fri 13-May-16 17:58:04

It is possible that they could send you for another GTT: glucose intolerance usually worsens later in pregnancy so some women are diagnosed at a repeat after the 28 week one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now