Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

13 weeks - bleeding and cramps

(20 Posts)
H0p3 Fri 13-May-16 09:00:56

Just looking for hand holding and any reassuring stories really.
I had my 12 week scan on Tuesday (3days ago) and had woken up that morning to bleeding. Blood was darkish red at first and only there when I wiped then turned to pink/watery spotting. I'd had the spotting at 6-7 weeks and had two early scans that showed a heartbeat so I just hoped that as it was similar it would all be ok at the 12 week scan later that day. It was. Me and DP saw a healthy bubs wriggling away who measured 13 weeks exactly. No reason for the bleeding was given and told just to keep an eye on any changes. The bleeding stopped and I relaxed a bit.
Thursday morning the bleeding was back and the same darkish red to begin then pink watery spotting. But as the morning progressed I started to get period like cramps and to feel very uncomfortable. Lots of knicker checking showed the bleeding hadn't really progressed but I went up to a&e on my midwives advice because of the pain. They wouldn't see me at gyne or epu and just booked me in for another scan on Monday - so 3 days to wait.
Once home the bleeding progressed and the darkish red returned - it's like a little rush then subsides into spotting. This morning there was enough to turn the toilet red which is new as its only ever been when I wiped before but again once it was out it subsided and turned to spotting. Cramps are mild and sometimes seem to go completely.
I'm just wondering if there's any chance this could be ok? Bubs was there, healthy, 3 days ago and I so so want him to still be. But I'm also trying to prepare myself for some bad news on Monday I guess. I dont really know what to think and would love some positive stories if there are any out there. Also should I push for an examination on Monday? So far no one has looked at my cervix at all so I have no idea if the bleeding is related to something there or not.
Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

Dollface136 Fri 13-May-16 09:53:43

Just wanted to hold your hand and say I good luck on Monday.

Bleeding has so many causes in pregnancy, some serious, some not. You won't know for sure until they do a thorough investigation unfortunately.

As for a positive story, my Mum bled throughout her pregnancy with me on and off. She had to have bed rest from 6 months onwards, and lots of scans to keep an eye on things BUT, well, here I am age 33.

As far as I am aware from friends and Dr Google, as long as you are not passing clots then the bleeding could be down to a small bleed either in uterus or irritated cervix. Try to not freak yourself out too much and take it easy x

H0p3 Fri 13-May-16 11:41:17

Thanks Dollface I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if we've done the right thing, but I've booked a private scan for tomorrow morning too as waiting until Monday seems unbearable. I am really trying to stay positive and your moms story helps. I'll update tomorrow when we've been for the scan.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 13-May-16 11:48:31

I had bleeding at 5, 7, 9 and 13 weeks in this pregnancy. Touch wood nothing since and am now 25ish weeks. No cause was ever found and the bleeding at 13 weeks especially was epic with a large amount of blood. My midwife said often no cause is ever found. Rooting for you. Hope you have some good news.

Dollface136 Fri 13-May-16 14:50:04

Having a private scan is a good idea to put your mind at rest as soon as possible. Wishing you lots of luck x

user1456873266 Fri 13-May-16 14:59:48

Oh, wishing you the best for tomorrow. I had bleeding at 8 ish weeks ( they thought maybe the placenta developing) and on and off up to 30 ish weeks which they thought could be due to an existing cervical erosion and / or a low lying placenta that eventually moved. But everything was ok x. Don't blame you for booking a private scan but sorry that your local EPU hasn't been more supportive. Best of luck.

meffhead Fri 13-May-16 15:16:03

I had much similar at 8 weeks ... Epu scan showed baby had died.
Next pregnancy and the same 8 weeks .... Baby was fine cervix was closed and now editing to pick my 5 year old from school!

H0p3 Fri 13-May-16 16:57:29

Thank you all so much. Good to hear positive stories. Just got to get through to scan tomorrow morning now. Would be easier if I'd had some explanation for the bleeding so far but no one has really offered any answers. Trying to stay posits myself but struggling this afternoon.

H0p3 Fri 13-May-16 16:57:46

*positive

PickleSarnie Fri 13-May-16 21:32:25

I had absolutely sheds loads of bleeding at 11 weeks. Mahoosive gush over the floor followed by two days if bleeding heavier than any period I've ever had. They found a heartbeat and a huge haematoma. Continued bleeding (but quiet a bit lighter) for about two weeks.

Son was born at 39+5 perfectly healthy.

Will have everything crossed for you x

jackspratswife01 Fri 13-May-16 21:35:10

I had lots of spotting and cramps, all was totally fine at 5-6 weeks, lots of luckwink

Beansprout30 Fri 13-May-16 23:55:32

Lots of luck for tomorrow, hopefully nothing to worry about and your little one is just fine

workplacewoe Sat 14-May-16 00:04:33

Good luck for tomorrow. I had bleeding at 14 weeks quite heavily. Our hospital refused to scan so I never found out the cause of bleeding but I'm pleased to say DS was born fit and well at 40+3 four years ago.
I was told that over 95% of foetuses with a heartbeat at the 12 week scan will make it through the pregnancy so the odds are on your side.

riddles26 Sat 14-May-16 12:49:02

I had something similar - I woke up to find I had been bleeding exactly 1 week after my 12 week scan. It was also dark brown and when I wiped although I did not have any pain or cramping. Midwife told me to come to EPU that morning and they did a scan - cervix was closed and baby seemed to be fine. They could not find a cause for it and discharged me, telling me to come back if it became heavy/red or painful. Although EPU said I could go back to work on light duties, GP insisted bedrest for one week and it calmed down pretty quickly after I was resting (not sure if the 2 are connected). I am now 16 weeks and all seems to be fine.

I hope your outcome is positive too xx

chelle792 Sat 14-May-16 12:53:46

I hope your scan was ok, op x

RaeSkywalker Sat 14-May-16 13:04:19

Thinking of you OP flowers

H0p3 Sat 14-May-16 15:27:44

Thank you all so much for the positive stories and the luck and support. Bubs is fine and was fast asleep and totally unaware of all the upset surrounding him. Poor thing was woken up for the scan and could see him stretching and turning and generally not wanting to be on camera grin was so happy and relieved. Think I have to accept that I may bleed on and off and that it isn't connected to the pregnancy.
This thread gave me such strength this morning. The bleeding had stopped and then reading this and knowing you were all out there rooting for me and bubs really buoyed me up. So thanks to you all and flowers for each of you.

RaeSkywalker Sat 14-May-16 15:40:29

Great news! smile

FellOutOfBedTwice Sat 14-May-16 21:17:05

Brilliant news grin

Sophiex0 Sun 15-May-16 17:50:13

Hey Hun I'm going through the exact same thing!! I however passed a small clot today I'm so scared and have to wait until tommorrow to see if I can have a scan sending hugs xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now