Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How painful is having a sweep?

(17 Posts)
daisywhoopsie Wed 11-May-16 17:54:13

I've seen the discomfort compared to a smear test but I haven't had one yet.

What should I be expecting?

MagnifiMad Wed 11-May-16 17:56:57

I don't remember the sweep itself being painful, just a bit uncomfortable but it gave me a few period type pains which made me feel really upset and emotional...not sure why! It also didn't get things started for me so when I had number 2, I didn't ask for a sweep and declined when offered.

twocultures Wed 11-May-16 17:59:03

Mine wasn't at all painful ... Just felt awks someone going down there but that's just me and I'm an awkward bumble bee in general blush

It did absolutely nothing for me though.

SpoonintheBin Wed 11-May-16 18:02:48

I've had three. One by a wonderful midwife who kept on apologising although there was no pain, one by a consultant who Was gentle but it was a bit painful and one by a female consultant who had very short fingers and it was painful as hell I was screaming! It depends a lot how soft the cirvex is I think.

bessie84 Wed 11-May-16 18:05:10

i agree with spoon, depends how soft/high/low the cervix is. mine was just uncomfortable, few period pains. did buggar all also.

savasanaaa Wed 11-May-16 18:08:19

I found them quite uncomfortable but did go into labour a couple of hours after the second & was overdue at that point so well worth it!

ftmsoon Wed 11-May-16 18:10:54

I had 2 with DD. The first was uncomfortable, but my cervix wasn't in the right place so she gave up. The second was incredibly painful, almost worse than labour. However labour started the next day so it may have been painful because it started labour, or it may have been painful because labour was so close!

daisywhoopsie Wed 11-May-16 18:11:04

Thanks everyone. I always feel less nervous about things when I feel prepared!

daisywhoopsie Wed 11-May-16 18:12:42

Another thing actually... I've seen it mentioned online that there can be some bleeding afterwards so to come prepared.

Are we talking pantyliner, normal pad or heavy pad prepared?

Paffle Wed 11-May-16 18:14:05

Mine were really painful. Suggest paracetamol 20 mins before.

daisywhoopsie Wed 11-May-16 18:15:03

Paracetamol hadn't even crossed my mind, will definitely do that!

shitwithsugaron Wed 11-May-16 18:18:16

Mine was extremely painful (I was already 1cm dilated) and as I sat up in tears the midwife said 'oh there's some blood on the bed but don't be alarmed'...there was tonnes. Luckily I had some pads with me and IIRC I was changing them roughly every hour. I had DD within 24 hours.

savasanaaa Wed 11-May-16 18:21:28

I seem to remember them giving me a pad now you mention it, one of those awful thick nappy like ones. I'd take a pantyliner & a towel of your own just in case.

Flumplet Wed 11-May-16 18:25:03

Mine was extremely painful. Hands not eyes like shovels . I wasn't ready. Never had that sort of examination before.

LillyBugg Wed 11-May-16 18:29:28

They are so different for everyone. I had one at about 2cm dilated and it didn't hurt at all and there was no blood. DS was born about 7 hours later. But I was in early labour already so don't know if it did anything.

mmmuffins Wed 11-May-16 20:27:51

I had three during the first 24 hours of my induction. They really hurt, I cried afterwards! And one was done without my consent; midwife said she was going to check how dilated I was, cue loads of pain, and afterwards her saying, "Oh, just gave you a sweep while I was already in there" shock

Not having any sweeps again in a hurry!

twocultures Thu 12-May-16 10:10:40

mmmuffins my midwife didn't tell me she'd do one either but like I said mine wasn't painful so she came up and was like yeah I did a sweep for you too.
Fair to say if it hurt like hell and she didn't tell me she'd be doing one I'dve been very angry!
But I was agitated all the way throughout all my check ups and tests throughout pregnancy as no one would inform me properly of what was going on, it was my first DC and I felt like they expected me to be a mind reader! I'm making sure I will be told about everything next time round.
I wish I'd found MN back then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now