Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

any Meds I can take for insomnia ?

(18 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Mon 09-May-16 19:32:53

I am nearly 16 weeks pregnant and have had severe insomnia from the very first week of pregnancy. I thought it might be due to IVF treatment or Cyclogest but I have been off this for a month now. I can't function well as I wake at 1am and am still awake in the morning.

I have a consultant appt next week and want to plead my case for medication . Has anyone been prescribed anything which is safe during pregnancy? Or is there anything over the counter that's safe? Thank you!

Craftycakey15 Tue 10-May-16 12:05:14

Bump?

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Tue 10-May-16 13:00:24

Hi crafty sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm 40 weeks on Sunday and have not slept through the night since a couple of days after getting a bfp. I put my insomnia down to having to take steroids in the first trimester (I was also on cyclogest) but, alas, things did not improve after I weaned off of my meds.
I have mentioned it at every appointment and I always get the response 'that's totally normal' before the midwife/ consultant goes on to tell me 'get plenty of rest while you can' hmm
Sorry I can't be much help.

mrsmugoo Tue 10-May-16 16:02:23

As far as I'm aware it's a very common pregnancy symptom even when not on cyclogest. I was on cyclogest until 12 weeks but didn't start sleeping better until 3rd trimester. I literally spent 6 months being awake half the night - it was worse than being up with a newborn because I still had a toddler and a job to deal with on 3 or 4 hours sleep!

I don't think there are any safe sleeping pills for pregnancy I'm afraid.

Craftycakey15 Tue 10-May-16 17:55:26

Thanks for your messages. I'm not even getting 3 or 4 hours at night though. I sleep for an hour and then am awake all night and sleep an hour or so n the morning. I am useless in the day and not able to do much at all. Have done some googling and found that Benadryl is supposed to be safe so will try it. I'm not wasting my time going to the GP as I can only get a same day appointment unless I wait weeks and it is always a very young doctor who seems to know little about pregnancy. I have a consultant appointment in a couple of weeks but need to do something now as I'm exhausted !

Craftycakey15 Fri 13-May-16 16:02:04

Just to update,mi went to the dr in tears and she rang a drug institute to confirm what is safe or not. She said that the drug in Nytol is safe to take throughout pregnancy, just not every day. I took two last night but didn't sleep just was very drowsy. It may work better for others though. Also I was told by another pharmacist that Avomine is safe to take too.

Craftycakey15 Fri 13-May-16 19:29:45

'I' went to the dr, not 'mi' !!

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Fri 13-May-16 19:42:21

That's great crafty. I hope you find some relief and thanks for the update. If we have a second I'll have to remember this advice smile

Twinklelittlestar1 Fri 13-May-16 19:58:50

Ahh yes, avomine, I was prescribed that for sickness. Knocked me out within an hour and I slept 14 hours!

I've taken nytol in the past and not found it that effective tbh.

Craftycakey15 Fri 13-May-16 22:13:48

Oh 14 hours would be amazing! Did you take it every night ?

Twinklelittlestar1 Fri 13-May-16 22:32:52

Yes but I would check it all with your doctor first. It was the first drug prescribed to me for severe sickness in early pregnancy.

Twinklelittlestar1 Fri 13-May-16 22:33:39

And, funnily enough, I was struggling with insomnia myself for a while at the start of my pregnancy.

MamyPoko Fri 13-May-16 22:34:37

Acupuncture worked amazingly for me.

Craftycakey15 Sun 15-May-16 15:47:20

twinklelittlestar1 how were you taking the Avomine? What was the dosage? I took one before bed last night and it had no effect. I then took another fours later when I was still awake and don't think it had any effect on the very little sleep I has as usual!

Twinklelittlestar1 Sun 15-May-16 17:04:06

I was prescribed 25mg

Craftycakey15 Sun 15-May-16 19:26:40

So just one tablet knocked you out? I'm hardcore insomniac then!

ricepudding84 Sun 15-May-16 22:08:38

Piriton is also safe (not the one a day one) during pregnancy.

Craftycakey15 Mon 16-May-16 15:48:10

I calls the doctor and told her the Nytol hadn't worked and she has given me Temazepam 10mg to take a couple of times a week this trimester (second). We agreed this last week and she checked with a drug institute that they are safe. Really looking forward to a nights sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now