Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

35 weeks - feet and ankles swollen and sore

(12 Posts)
Pagetta Sun 08-May-16 09:19:56

Am 35 weeks and been struggling with swollen feet a few weeks. They're not enormous, but very puffy particularly around ankles.
This week they've started to ache - my ankles feel sprained the swelling is sore to touch like a bruise, and my heels ache like I've walked a thousand miles.
My feet are basically throbbing and feel like they are so hot!
Any tips on easing this? I think flipflops are making them sore, but if I wear shoes it's so uncomfy sad
If I want to spk to someone do I call GP or midwife?
I know the official advice is 'rest and put your feet up' - but I've got a 3yo, 2 more weeks of FT work and am in the middle of moving house so despite best efforts there's not much feet up opportunity!

BertrandRussell Sun 08-May-16 09:21:39

Just a quick question- have you had your blood pressure taken recently?

Pagetta Sun 08-May-16 09:32:24

Yep - I had a scan last Week plus popped into ANDA another day cos of feet issue. As of 10 days ago was all fine - thinking of calling someone tomorrow about it again, but don't know whether to go midwife / ANDA / GP

BertrandRussell Sun 08-May-16 09:39:09

Good- I have very highly tuned pre eclampsia-antenna!

Can you try doing as little as possible today as humanly possible and see if it helps? Sorry- not much use- I think it just happens to some people. sad

Is there any way you can put your feet up at work? I commandeered a sofa from reception when I was pregnant with dd! I appreciate not many people are in a position to do that.....

Pagetta Sun 08-May-16 09:45:16

Lol thank you! Going to see what I can do at work next week.

Today? Well it's last game of the footy season so DH is playing then pubbing it. I would be angry but he's not actually been for post-game drinks in weeks cos of me moaning so I'm trying reaaaalllly hard not to be mad at him lol!
So aside from taking DS to rugby and meeting a plumber about a shower.....can put feet up after that! hoping stays sunny so can chuck DS out in garden later smile

Eastend2015 Sun 08-May-16 09:45:40

34 weeks and I've been the same here, BP fine as of 10 days ago too. Drinking more water and gentle movement seems to help (stretching my feet and rolled my ankles around). I put my feet up on a pillow in bed while I'm sleeping too. Swimming has actually been the most effective remedy so far! One is also worse than the other where I broke it many years ago.

Dixiechick17 Sun 08-May-16 10:40:36

Mine were like that from 34 weeks, I slept with my feet raised, an got my DH to do daily foot rubs, plus I used ice packs on them and when out and about I wore flight socks and did exercises to help circulation, none of it got rid of it, but it helped

SleepymrsE Sun 08-May-16 15:16:37

I had this in my last pregnancy. I looked like I had trotters instead of feet from about 30 weeks. Midwife had hubby do daily calf/feet massage on an evening before bed. Only downward motion strokes (from knees down to toes). It was water retention. Like you I worked ft until late into pregnancy and with a possible breech baby I was advised by some to rest and others to keep active to try and turn baby. Oh and I expected the swelling to disappear straight after birth but it took about a week after.

mininionsteve Sun 08-May-16 15:32:11

Try putting your feet in a bucket of ice and water. If you can manage it keep them there for 10mins, or taken them in and out for 10. Then take them out. Then when you can raise them to above hip height to allow the fluid to drain. It's what you would do for a sprain so could help.

TheABC Sun 08-May-16 15:39:30

My feet are not as bad as that but I second the ice water and lifting them above hip height. You may be limited by your office dress code, but I have found wearing a really comfy pair of walking sandals to help as well - it keeps the air flowing and the straps are generally below your ankles. You have my sympathy - 39 weeks here with a toddler that lives to run!

wigelspigels Sun 08-May-16 19:56:22

Had this with my first and now with with my 2nd, very puffy feet. I sit for work all day, which I find does not help at all. Only 4 days left though, 35w+4 just now and the heat today has not helped.

Pagetta Sun 08-May-16 22:40:52

thanks for the tips - will try to fid a way to keep feet up at work!

i really hurt my coccyx giving birth to DS1 so i'm finding it hard sat with legs elevated as puts pressure on it - if its not one thing its another ha - am alternating between feet resting on the ball, then stretching out coccyx on it.

oh the joys eh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now