Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are Moses Baskets ACTUALLY needed?

(38 Posts)
lookouttrebelsabout Sat 07-May-16 17:00:45

So, another question.
I live with my parents still, and so will have a cot bed in my room with me.
Are moses baskets however necessary OR can I just put baby in the cotbed from birth, and in the carry cot in the day ?!

Thanks in advance!

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 07-May-16 17:03:08

Nope, not necessary.

Artandco Sat 07-May-16 17:04:20

Nope, only handy if you can't fit actual cot in your bedroom at first.

Your cot/ cotbed will have a higher setting for mattress anyway so it's easier to lift newborn in and out

dalmatianmad Sat 07-May-16 17:04:51

Of course you can, you can stick them in a box or a drawer as long as they are safe!

My niece had just had a 12lb baby and he's too big for the moses basket...

Oly5 Sat 07-May-16 17:05:02

No never had one

5minutestobed Sat 07-May-16 17:05:13

No of course not, my DS went straight in his cot and so will my newborn.

Nanasueathome Sat 07-May-16 17:05:41

I have never known a baby who liked being in a Moses basket
Totally unnecessary and not needed

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:05:46

I never used one for either of my children. I did have a swinging crib for them before using a cot. I used the carrycot bit of my travel system or a fully reclined buggy for downstairs sleeping during the day

Starman16 Sat 07-May-16 17:07:03

DS went straight into a cotbed in our room as we don't have a nursery We used a rolled up towel in a U-shape around his body to create a boundary and to tuck the blanket into as he was a little overwhelmed to begin with (he his first week in NICU so was used to a very small cot) Once he was big enough we started using a baby sleeping bag which he is very happy in. In the day he slept in his bouncy chair as it could lay flat.

So no, not necessary at all in my experience!

Rhubardandcustard Sat 07-May-16 17:12:50

Had one used it couple of times, DD never slept whilst in it, gave it away and used cot instead. One of those bouncy chair things was more useful.

JillianLovestheBeebs Sat 07-May-16 17:16:51

No.

Quietattheback Sat 07-May-16 17:17:50

Never had one and I've got four kids.

MrsGlam Sat 07-May-16 18:03:21

I had a crib by my bed and mosses basket for downstairs as a last minute purchase my LB 3 weeks old will not sleep in his crib and I get 3 hours out of him in the moses basket so it's a god send for us.

spacefrog35 Sat 07-May-16 18:10:00

Same as Mrs Glam. I'd have been lost without the Moses basket for the first few weeks as it was the ONLY thing she would sleep in for 3 weeks.

Wait and see what your little one likes/ dislikes and order one on the internet if needs be.

Congratulations flowers

sepa Sat 07-May-16 18:21:32

Nope. I was given one so only reason I have it. My DC is 9 weeks and rapidly growing out of it. I know a few babies who hated them!

My friend used her toddle pod in her cotbed when her DC was smaller. I also think it's one of the best purchases I have bought for DC (I didn't bother with the toddle pod as its the same price but only suitable for up to 6-months)

Here is the link in case you wanted to look at them - www.poddlepod.com/

targaryen Sat 07-May-16 19:24:07

Going against opinion here but my three all had them and loved them. All slept in them in living room during the day and in bedroom at night.
Then I put the Moses basket inside the cot until they were too big then they all transitioned really smoothly to their cots and all have slept through and napped well from a young age which I hunk was helped with the Moses basket....maybe smile

GruffaloPants Sat 07-May-16 19:36:30

They are handy.

If you are short on space you can have a few months without the cotbed up.

The baby can go to sleep where you are, then you just move the basket as opposed to being stuck in the bedroom whenever the baby is asleep.

plantsitter Sat 07-May-16 19:39:00

You don't have to. I just found it easier to put next to the bed and reach into in the night. Also newborns look so titchy rattling around in a big cot especially now we don't use bumpers etc. Plus, it looks really cosy in the basket. But if it's more practical not to have one, don't!

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 07-May-16 19:39:18

I used mine for both DC day and night, but only for about 10 weeks. If you can borrow one and put a new mattress in, I'd do that.

albertcampionscat Sat 07-May-16 19:39:42

DS loved his and was in it for 5 months. I loved being able to carry him about in it & put him down to sleep anywhere in the house.

DramaAlpaca Sat 07-May-16 19:41:19

They're not necessary at all & babies grow out of them very quickly IME. They are handy for the first couple of months, though.

HelenF35 Sat 07-May-16 19:44:00

My son wouldn't sleep in a cot or crib so we had to go out and buy a Moses basket.

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 07-May-16 19:48:53

I didn't have one for my first but did for my second just so I had somewhere I could put him to nap without my toddler getting to him! My first napped on me, the sofa and the floor.

adagio Sat 07-May-16 19:49:34

Very handy for tinies and means you can dodge the big cot bed for a few more months. My first hated it though, and it became the blanket and muslin dumping ground while she basically co slept with me until moving to her own room at 6m, but this second one seems to love it and has been sleeping 4/5 hours through in it from 2 weeks! (My first didn't sleep that long anywhere for 2 years)
No you don't need one, but every baby is different and it is nice to have them right next to your bed at first (no way could I fit a cotbed next to the big bed it would have to be the other side of the room - think about your layout)

Hulababy Sat 07-May-16 19:52:02

No, definitely not necessary. We didn't have one. A friend did lend us her rocking crib when dd was born which we tried but dd didn't like that either - she much preferred the big cot - well, my bed really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now