Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scan at 8w 3d

(8 Posts)
Helgathehairy Fri 06-May-16 16:03:32

Due to previous miscarriages I'm having an early scan where I'll be 8 weeks 3 days.

I've never had a scan this early before. Will they definitely be able to see that the baby is the right size for my dates? Is there a chance it could be a transvaginal scan?

Sorry for thr questions - I was ok but the nerves kicked in after I got the phone call.

MintyBojingles Fri 06-May-16 16:14:10

I had a scan at 9 weeks ish because I fell down the stairs. It was transvaginal, which whilst not my preference, it wasn't too bad. You can see the sack and the little baby in it, check its the right place, and we could even see the heartbeat (apparently anyway, was a couple pixels changing colour!)

I don't know if they'll check the dates, they didn't for me but obviously was in for a different reason!

Try to relax, hope it's all a positive experience for you! Fingers crossed flowers

memyselfandaye Fri 06-May-16 16:18:07

I had scans at 6 and 8 weeks, it was just a regular scan, nothing up the vadge!

The 8 week one looked like an egg yolk with a little dot in the middle.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much flowers

RNBrie Fri 06-May-16 16:21:23

I've had a 7 week scan with all three of mine. Never transvaginal! I think they only do that if they can't find what they're looking for. At 8 weeks they should date the baby and you should see a heartbeat. Good luck flowers

Helgathehairy Fri 06-May-16 16:25:30

I don't necessarily mind a transvaginal - I think I'm scared of them doing a normal one first and finding nothing.

IamChipmunk Fri 06-May-16 16:38:01

I had a scan at 8+2 could see baby no problem, it was a wriggly blob and could just see where the arms and legs were going to start growing.

I would hav thought normal external ultrasound would be fine.

Good luck

Helgathehairy Fri 06-May-16 16:40:33

Thanks for the reassurance all. At least I've an idea of what to expect now.

RuskBaby Fri 06-May-16 17:38:36

I had one at 8w and she tried to do an external but couldn't see anything, quick trip to the loo and came back for internal and there was baby - cried all the way and couldn't focus at all so if you have any questions think and remember them. We wish we had recorded the heartbeat but super happy baby was there with a heartbeat going crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now