Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby presenting breech at 36 weeks

(5 Posts)
Chlobee87 Fri 06-May-16 15:49:22

At my 34 week appointment my midwife thought she could feel that the baby was in breech position. She sent me for a scan and the sonographer said the baby was head down. Happy days. Have just been for my 36 week appointment and again the midwife has said that the baby is the wrong way up. I've got another scan on Monday to check.

I don't think the midwife is wrong. I think I've just got a very wriggly baby as I feel her move all the time and my bump can drastically change shape from day to day so I can definitely believe that she flips over between appointments.

If the baby is presenting breech on Monday then the midwife has suggested an ECV. I've done a bit of Googling and it sounds like a potentially risky procedure (distressing for baby, risk of cord becoming tangled etc) and the success rate is not that great. Even if it is successful, what's to say that she will stay head down?

Midwife has also said that if I go into labour whilst the baby's position is still not confirmed, I need to go to hospital to be examined straight away as it will mean having a c section if she is still breech. My concern is, even if the baby is in the correct position on Monday, how do I know she won't have moved back by the time I go into labour? I did not originally intend to call the hospital the second that I go into labour because I would like to stay at home for as long as possible and not feel like I am being 'timed' if that makes sense. I am desperate to have a low intervention natural birth and I'm worried that it's slipping away from me. What if she moves back into a breech position without me knowing and I'm at home struggling away when I really should be having a c section?

You deserve a medal if you've got to the end of this post so thank you! I suppose I'm just looking for advice and reassurance from anybody with experience of this.

Wellthen Fri 06-May-16 19:31:14

I could have written that post. I'm only 33 weeks but I'm pretty sure shes transverse a lot of the time. Like yours, my baby changes throughout the day and by evening shes often more diagonal.

I don't want an ECV, I agree with what you've found and think they aren't worth the discomfort and risk.

So, n your situation (which might be my situation soon!) I wouldn't have an ECV, wouldn't have any more scans and simply wait until labour starts. However that does mean you'll have to go in and get checked. But surely if you are examined and she is head down, you can go home? So an intervention free birth is still possible?

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 06-May-16 19:59:43

I'm 33 weeks and last time I was checked baby was transverse, got appointment on Monday and also at 36 weeks to check positioning. I've already had one undiagnosed breech and I can say with certainty I won't be taking any chances this time round, if she's still breech at 36 weeks it'll be elective section for me.
If you want to try for a natural I would strongly recommend going to hospital the second you go in to labour as if you do end up needing a section it will be treated as urgent or emergency and you could be in for a long wait... The first time round I went in to labour at 8am and didn't get the section till 3am! Although they didn't even realised she was breech till 5pm but still a very long wait (while having agonising contractions) however you look at it. I ended up having 3 shots of diamorphine while I waited and was utterly exhausted after the op.
Not wanting to put you off, just be aware of what can happen. Really hope you get the natural birth you want smile

Chlobee87 Fri 06-May-16 22:46:57

Thanks so much for your replies, really helpful!

Wellthen I think the reason I'm reluctant to be examined so early is mostly down to things that our hypnobirthing instructor advised. Essentially, she said that a lot of your treatment is dictated by hospital policies and that from the moment you tell them you're in labour you are being timed I.e. they will want you to dilate at a certain rate and progress according to their averages. If you "fail" to do this you are then running the risk that they will push for interventions. So her advice was just to use your own judgement and not involve the hospital until you really need to.

Palaver I hadn't even considered that you'd have to wait around for a c section! Naïve little me just assumed that if you needed one they would sort it pronto. That definitely adds another dimension to it do thanks for the heads up!

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and just go in early and get checked out. If she's NOT breech at that point I will just have to be firm and stand my ground RE minimal interventions and examinations. If she IS breech then at least I'm in the right place and in the queue for a c section ASAP.

OhWhatAPalaver Sat 07-May-16 16:46:24

Yeah they will only rush you in to theatre if there's a major problem, ie heart rate dropping. Because my dd was apparently ok (despite having meconium in my waters!) we were classed as an urgent c-section rather than emergency, so had to join the queue!
I don't think they usually start timing until you're in established labour anyway so they might confirm positioning is ok and then send you home. That said they sent me home with a breech baby so nothing is certain really... It's all good fun isn't it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now