Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Incompetent cervix: bedrest and work issues

(8 Posts)
Tryagain92 Thu 05-May-16 00:29:24

Hi ladies. Im 15 weeks and 3 days pregnant and on monday I found out I am funneling and mt cervix is shortening. The consultant said I still have a reasonable length and to recheck again next week on tuesday. She recommends resting as well and work isn't a good place to be right now due to the nature of the job. I work as a housekeeper so I am on my feet most of the day although it is only part time. Not only that, i am suffering from deep depression because of work issues as it is, and now this issue thats come up.

Doctor doesn't feel the need to do a sick note so I have no idea what to do. Im also suffering from bad back pain because I am guessing Im probably funneling even more now, and just generally feel fatigued and low about everything. Worrying I'm going to lose my baby boy.

The consultant was private as I had to pay to get my cervical length checked and she cannot issue a sick note. So now theres two problems.

1) the doctor doesn't feel the need to and the consultant didn't write it down on the report it was a verbal instruction, so I don't know what to do now?

2) I cannot afford to lose my job sad they won't put me on light duties. They'd rather be break my back like a muppet to make sure their home is up to standard

I feel absolutely useless :'(

justabigdisco Thu 05-May-16 00:30:47

Are you in the uk?

VimFuego101 Thu 05-May-16 00:33:18

Do you work for a private household?

Tryagain92 Thu 05-May-16 00:35:36

Yes I'm based in the uk

Tryagain92 Thu 05-May-16 00:36:03

No i work for a care home

justabigdisco Thu 05-May-16 00:40:11

Private consultants can issue sick notes. They may choose to issue a private one though, for which you'd have to pay. Not sure why your GP won't issue. Has the consultant written to your GP yet? Ring them up and ask them to mention the bed rest in the letter. Also, surely you need to be under an NHS consultant?
Sorry you're having a crappy time

VimFuego101 Thu 05-May-16 00:40:39

I would recommend calling ACAS for advice. I believe you can request they do a risk assessment to make sure they make any adjustments necessary for you (a good company would do this anyway).

Tryagain92 Thu 05-May-16 00:48:29

Justabigdisco thank you for your reply. I went privately because the nhs consultant wouldn't listen to my concerns, however my gut instincts was correct. I am now under the nhs consultant so I don't need to pay privately. However it seems like I have to speak to the private consultant again to get a fit note. She hasn't written to the gp she just wrote a report to give to me so that I can show it for future use.
Its such a crap time work is the last thing on my mind right now sad
VimFuego101 unfortunately the company I work for only care about making money, not the staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now