Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How far along am I?

(16 Posts)
Lura7115 Wed 04-May-16 20:54:40

So I've just found out that in pregnant grin (clear blue digital says 1-2 weeks) I'm not quite sure how far along I am...
The first day of my past period was 23/3/16. I use opk and only started to get a positive at CD 30. (I don't quite know what's normal for me as I had a miscarriage in February and I had my little boy in August no not really had a chance to track my cycles.
When I see the midwife will she date me from the first day of my last period or the day that I ovulated?!

lilygirl81 Wed 04-May-16 20:56:39

They date you from the first date of your last period. The clear blue tests date from ovulation, so you will be an extra 2 weeks (at least) to the duration the test says

Lura7115 Wed 04-May-16 21:04:45

Thanks. So if I've calculated right (from the first day of my last period) I'm 6 weeks?! confused

lilygirl81 Wed 04-May-16 21:42:09

It's always a bit of a guess at this point. When they do your 12 week scan they will date you properly.

OurGrowingFamily Thu 05-May-16 07:45:06

As previous poster has said, it is all just guess work until the 12 week scan. You estimated due date will go from the first day of your last period and that is what it will be until 12 week scan. Then the 12 week scan will confirm exactly how far along you are!

KayTee87 Thu 05-May-16 11:34:47

The doctor / midwife will count from the first day of your last period until you have your dating scan then they will adjust your dates if required. Usually you add two weeks onto the date of your ovulation if you are sure of when you ovulated.

Lura7115 Thu 05-May-16 11:41:49

I just worried my HCG levels won't be high enough for how many weeks they date me as I've just recently had a miscarriage. Maybe if I let themselves are me from my last period il get a scan early? (They'll think I'm 12 weeks but live less)

Lura7115 Thu 05-May-16 11:42:43

Maybe if I let them date me**.

KayTee87 Thu 05-May-16 11:51:10

Yes it means you will get a scan at what they think is 12 weeks so maybe actually 10 but you will probably have to go back for another scan when you are actually 12 weeks of you wish certain tests done etc.
Will your hormone levels be checked as a matter of course? Mine never were, in fact I didn't even do a pregnancy test with any health professional but I've not had a precious loss so maybe your care will be different.

KayTee87 Thu 05-May-16 11:53:41

Previous * although precious is probably the right word sadflowers

Lura7115 Thu 05-May-16 12:11:44

The doctors test My urine to make sure I'm definitely pregnant then the midwife will check my bloods at the booking appointment. I'm not sure if they can check your levels from urine?! confused I'm just so worried this time around fingers crossed for me

KayTee87 Thu 05-May-16 12:17:14

Are you in the uk? No one I know had any checks that they were pregnant so I wouldn't worry about levels etc. I'm in Scotland though so maybe it's different where you are.

Lura7115 Thu 05-May-16 12:30:25

I'm in Newcastle l, with my last two pregnancys they've taken Urine and blood samples I'm guessing for HCG and stuff confused

KayTee87 Thu 05-May-16 12:37:22

I believe the urine samples are to check for protein and glucose to indicate any problems and the bloods are for any blood borne illnesses and the combined Down syndrome testing.
I've never had hormone levels mentioned and can't actually see anything in my notes about them, maybe they check them but don't mention it unless there's an issue.

kirinm Thu 05-May-16 23:12:17

I think it's fairly common for people with a history of miscarriage to have their HCG levels checked in early pregnancy over a week or two to check they're rising properly. For reassurance most of the time. And generally before an early scan is possible i.e before 6 weeks.

Sorry that I can't help you work out your dates OP. I would say that finding out your HCG levels won't really help in dating the pregnancy though.

Lura7115 Thu 05-May-16 23:15:18

Thanks very much for your advice I just worry about everything at the minute, I'm just being silly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now