Talk

Advanced search

Non-pregnant women getting maternity leave

(32 Posts)
sophiegall123 Wed 04-May-16 09:28:42

Just saw this article this morning - metro.co.uk/2016/05/02/author-argues-women-without-kids-should-get-maternity-leave-too-5853651/ -

Do you think that all women should be entitled to maternity leave breaks without even being pregnant...? I'm really not convinced..

Strokethefurrywall Thu 05-May-16 00:31:32

I know, I roared laughing reading it.
If you have a second meternity leave you're required to get an affectionate but obstinant baboon to look after - brilliant!
To be honest it summed up much of the first few years or parenting very accurately!

ColdTeaAgain Thu 05-May-16 00:59:46

I almost feel sorry for her for being such a fucking idiot.

AyeAmarok Thu 05-May-16 01:51:21

The OP article and the Huffington Post article are both hilarious. Although I appreciate only one was meant to be.

WellErrr Thu 05-May-16 06:19:45

Same cold

AlexandraEiffel Thu 05-May-16 22:33:15

I loved the stuff about the bear. That really resonated and isn't often talked about

LeaLeander Thu 05-May-16 22:37:45

Also, I kind of object to the idea that maternity leave gives women 'me time'.

I don't think it gives a woman "me time" in the sense of relaxation but it does afford her the opportunity to take time off to pursue what she considers a worthwhile and fulfilling endeavor. There are many worthwhile, beneficial-to-society endeavors that do not involve procreation and with reproduction being a 100 percent voluntary choice, it would be nice if all workers could take leave to pursue their voluntary choices as well.

If every worker received, say, one six-month break every five years, she/he could use it as she sees fit, for reproductive purposes or otherwise. We'd all be funding one another's leave and there wouldn't be so much resentment and disdain.

LeaLeander Thu 05-May-16 22:40:12

Here's a worthy commentary on "Meternity leave."

www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-a-ford/in-defense-of-meternity-l_b_9816198.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »