Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breastfeeding - What do I need?

(25 Posts)
Sardi28 Wed 04-May-16 09:10:09

Morning! smile

I'm 35+6 and all the way through my pregnancy have been open minded about feeding and I'm going to give breastfeeding a go and see how I get on. However! I have not bought anything in preperation for this. I have bottles, steriliser etc and a perfect prep for bottle feeding.

Can you tell me what are the esentials if you breastfeed? (Apart from the obvious! grin) I don't want to spend lots on stuff I don't need. I would like to express if I can so my husband can help out.

Thanks Ladies! cake flowers xxx

Oysterbabe Wed 04-May-16 09:14:33

1. Breasts
2. A baby

wink
Some convenient clothing would be a good idea. Breastfeeding bras and some vests. You can just wear a vest under a t-shirt, pull one up and the other down rather than specific clothing.

Heirhelp Wed 04-May-16 09:15:25

Boobs! Some breast pads, nipple cream and feeding bras. Don't get expressing stuff for a few weeks until you are sure you want it. You are advised not to express until your supply is established.

Hughpughbarneymagrew Wed 04-May-16 09:16:57

Boobs smile

Other than that, some lanolin cream in case they get sore, maybe some breast pads for leakages, clothes you can bf in (think nursing bra and lots of stretchy vests).

Anything else e.g. Fancy pillows, breast pump you can get later if you decide bfing I'd for you and you want them

FrizzyNoodles Wed 04-May-16 09:21:49

Loose clothing and nice people to bring you things. I've never been so hungry/thirsty. I bought a breast feeding cushion but didn't really get on with it. It's lovely as a pillow though.

nocoffeenouppee Wed 04-May-16 09:22:38

Nothing is essential but I couldn't manage without nursing bras and breast pads.
Here's what I find useful
Vest tops for one up one down as above
boppy/widgey pillow (got mine in tk maxx)
I use muslins to cover myself as well as for burps (but I am enormous of boob)
For early days lansinoh and maam compresses. A bit expensive but worth it imho. Having said that ds had a tongue tie. You might not need these.

Sardi28 Wed 04-May-16 09:24:11

Thanks!

I'll hold fire then and see how I get on smile xx

Sardi28 Wed 04-May-16 09:26:22

grin "enormous of boob" !! So am I

Got plenty of muslins. What are lansinoh and maam compresses please?

xx

nocoffeenouppee Wed 04-May-16 09:34:28

Should have been multi-mam sorry. They're both for sore/cracked nipples. The cream is to allow them to heal under it but doesn't need washed off. Baby can ingest traces. I have no ideas what manner of witchcraft those compresses are but they saved by nipples smile. I've never had one of those lovely 'it was really easy' breastfeeding relationships though so maybe just get some lansinoh to start with. If you're also very large chested you might find a nursing pillow helpful for positioning. I'd never manage a cradle hold and the pillow helps support baby in cross cradle position.

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FLansinoh-HPA-Lanolin-40ml_1310106%2F

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FMulti-Mam-Compresses-1-x-12-Pack_121154%2F

wonkylegs Wed 04-May-16 09:48:12

Buy decent breast pads - I find supermarket ones last about 5 mins and leak, also leave leaky boobs damp which can give you sore nipples. I prefer Lansinoh or tommee tippee, cost more but worth it.

evilgiraffe Wed 04-May-16 09:58:19

Lansinoh nipple cream and breast pads are the best, make sure you have both. The cream for helping sore nipples, the pads to stop milk and nipple cream getting on your clothes.

Otherwise you just need boobs, a baby, and easy-access clothes. You don't need equipment, but it might be helpful to read up about the mechanics of breastfeeding (kellymom website is great) and what to expect regarding establishing supply etc. Bear in mind that expressing takes up lots of time - you don't get time off because you're pumping instead of feeding, and you probably want to get established before you're expressing regularly anyway.

Breastfeeding is super easy and very convenience once you're established, but getting there can be difficult and painful. Look up some phone numbers and drop-in groups now, so you know where to go and who to ask for help if you need/want it.

I hope birth and feeding go easily for you smile

FeelingForSnow Wed 04-May-16 10:07:54

I breast fed my both children and because they came just after one another (age difference 1.5 years) I ended up breast feeding both at the same time.

I never bought anything before they were born. And luckily the only thing I needed was bra pads here and then.

I didn't buy any bottles etc. either. In this day and age all it takes is a quick trip to Boots/Tesco etc. in case your breast feeding doesn't work.

Breast feeding is great! I can't recommend it enough. To this day I have no idea how to make a bottle for a baby. I am now expecting my 3rd and I hope it will work this time too.

Good luck!

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 04-May-16 10:12:33

Tips for the early days:

Before you sit down make sure you have snacks, water, phone and tv remote/entertainment to hand.

Back support.

Cloth ready in case of posseting.

After 8pm try to feed baby in a room without lots of noise and with dimmed lighting to help set their body clock.

GruffaloPants Wed 04-May-16 10:16:00

Boobs
Baby
Breast pads (I like NUK or Johnson's, found Boots very sweaty)

Breastfeeding bra also very handy, and stretchy vests with thin straps. I got them in Zara and M&S.

Micah Wed 04-May-16 10:20:54

A phone or iPad loaded up with subscriptions to amazon prime, netflix etc, iplayer, and all the box sets you've wanted to watch but never had chance to. Ibooks also.

You will spend most of your time pinned under a feeding baby. Agree with don't express, it's an utter PITA. just feed, feed, and feed some more.

Oh and earplugs so you don't have to listen to all the crap about feeding too often, not enough milk, are you sure your milk's rich enough, it can't be satisfying, babies should need to feed every four hours, not sleeping through? perhaps you should try formula, how do you know they're getting enough, perhaps you should go to the toilet to feed so no one can see...feeding again? give formula and give yourself a break, can't you give them a bottle so I can have a go at feeding them...

TheTravellingLemon Wed 04-May-16 10:29:54

Lansinoh nipple cream and breast pads are the best, make sure you have both.

This.

Also, find out what breastfeeding support is offered at the hospital and for after you leave. I know the instinct is to get home as quickly as possible, but stay there until you are happy you have it established.

For me the most valuable thing was not one item, but a support group that helped me through some of the tough times. Get the numbers together and dont be afraid to use them. Good luck smile

TheABC Wed 04-May-16 10:34:44

Get measured for decent breastfeeding bras, close to your due date. They will save your back when your milk comes in. I also recommend doing some research now, so you have support on hand if you struggle. Find out where your local breastfeeding groups are and read up on the topic (I recommend The womanly art of breastfeeding by la leche as a good starter book). It means you won't panic when your baby stays up all night to cluster feed (for example), or you have questions about blebs, drinking alcohol or coping with tiredness.

I am also a big fan of slings as they give you a free hand and more mobility when you have a small, clingy baby who will not be put down. Windy DS loved them as it kept him upright and snuggled to me.

Dixiechick17 Wed 04-May-16 10:35:55

find out where you can get support local to you if needed, support is key if you experience any issues with latch or anything, so make a note of contact numbers before the baby arrives. I found the Kellymom website good for all kinds of breastfeeding info, tips and advice, and had the number for the local nct breastfeeding person and also the breastfeeding midwife. La lech league is also a good one.

Breastpads- personal favourite were boots ultra slim, much wider than standard, I also had reusable breastpads.

Lanisoh nipple cream is currently half price in boots, worth picking up a few tubes.

I got my nursing bras after my milk had settled down, so a few weeks in, got them in the figleaves clearance section and got some really nice ones for eight pounds each instead of thirty.

I had a couple of nursing tops, but found button up tops with vests under easier.

JasperDamerel Wed 04-May-16 10:36:22

To be honest, for breastfeeding you don't need stuff, but you do need knowledge. A book with the basics (I'd suggest The Food of Love, which is both very accurate and supportive AND an easy read that you can handle even when panicky and sleep-deprived) is worth getting. Also, find out what support there is locally - antenatal classes, peer support groups, breastfeeding counsellors and lactation consultants. And it's worth finding out a bit about common breastfeeding problems and what you can do if you encounter them.

Bravado body silk bras are staggeringly comfortable.

ICJump Wed 04-May-16 10:39:43

I didn't need nipple cream but I did need breast pads. A friend didn't need breast pads but needed nipple cream.
I found going to a breastfeeding class helpful

MsMargaretCarter Wed 04-May-16 10:43:08

The confidence to ring/turn up and ask for help and not leave till you have got someone who knows what they are doing to observe a WHOLE feed and listened to exactly what's going on with you.

You may never experience a single problem, but if you do, NEVER wait till it gets better on its own. Always ask for help.

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 04-May-16 10:45:55

Tits. grin I didn't buy anything special.

plumpynoo Wed 04-May-16 22:22:30

Supersoft night time bras! I underestimated how much i would leak in the night when i rolled over and squished my boobs! Agree with everyone else on Lasinoh products. Also, the second night is the absolute worst! No one warned me of this, and i did an emergency run to mothercare for bottles ect as i just couldnt do it! But, after weeping to midwife and being reassured, i stuck with it and EBF my DS for a year, it was so much easier than bottles once it was established! Keep trying at the begining, it is so worth it!

SouthDownsSunshine Thu 05-May-16 07:49:21

Cake and tea! I was so hungry and thirsty whilst breastfeeding.

As others have said, lansinoh is amazing - take it into hospital with you. Good breastpads (boots were fine).

I needed nipple shields for a while as my daughter's latch was atrocious.

The number of a good local breastfeeding counsellor. I called mine several times in tears, and she was amazing.

For out and about, I finally started using a cover at about 4 months and it was brilliant. Wish I'd used it from the start.

Sardi28 Thu 05-May-16 09:01:37

Thanks all, so much!

This has really helped me!
Wish me luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now