Talk

Advanced search

Extreme Nausea- antihistamine

(7 Posts)
twoshoes86 Mon 02-May-16 09:02:28

Hi All

I am currently 9 + 1 and have been suffering from extreme nausea since 5 weeks. I've had a few days off of work as some days I have felt like I can't stand up without a wobble. I am a teacher and I think doing a physical job makes things worse. I am struggling to keep up with my workload of marking because I can't mark in the evenings anymore as I feel so rough. I've gone from working 10-12 hours a day and now just doing about 7 but I'm so behind.

I am managing to keep food and fluid down and only had mild vomiting every few days.

I am really struggling with actually having any sort of life at the moment and feeling down and lying on the sofa. I think my GP would probably say as I am maintaining my eating that I'll just have to get on with it.

I am considering taking Piriton (old style one) or Phenergan as have been doing some research into its effect on nausea. Only if I am really feeling terrible or have work I need to do.

Does anyone have any experience of the extreme nausea rather than nausea and vomiting? Obviously I've tried ALL of the natural remedies sad xx

WellErrr Mon 02-May-16 09:06:38

I've been taking Phenergan since around 7 weeks. Had extreme nausea but not actually being sick. It's like magic and dramatically improved things for me.

BUT - do NOT just take it. Go to the GP and get it from them. They gave it to me no bother.

I took one at around 5pm which knocked me out around 8/9, and then felt much better.

WellErrr Mon 02-May-16 09:07:25

Ps I'm 24 weeks now and stopped needing to take it around 14 weeks

icklekid Mon 02-May-16 09:10:44

Also a teacher suffering with extreme sickness (hypermesis) there is some evidence taking medication early can be really helpful to reduce sickness so I would get to your gp asap and see if they will prescribe you some antihistamines- I was on avomine (brand name) then cyclazine first pregnancy and managed to keep working. This time sadly is worse and have had to be signed off but medication makes life bearable. Is there a member of slt/your line manager you can share the news with so they can support or at least be aware you will struggle especially in the first trimester. If you want further advice on drugs or just some moral support come join us on the hypermesis thread

twoshoes86 Mon 02-May-16 09:51:12

Thanks wellerr and icklekid. I will make an appointment with my GP this week and see what they suggest. I just feel lame because from the outside it is just the feeling of sickness and I'm not spending my life on the bathroom floor so there isn't really physical evidence.

My line manager has been great but at this time of the year it's all about exams and getting the kids through. Pretty poor timing for me. After May half term things will slow down a little but still four more weeks to get through! X

Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-May-16 12:23:19

Hi, another teacher here. Hats off to you for managing to work through the illness, I've been off for three weeks and signed off for two more. There is just no way I could work like this. I find the nausea worse than the vomiting, it's such an awful retched feeling. Definitely see your doctor, don't struggle on as there are many things that can help. Also, don't feel guilty if you need to take time off- it looks like I'll be missing the whole half term at this rate and while a part of me feels bad about that, I have more important things to worry about right now. Take care.

twoshoes86 Tue 03-May-16 18:32:09

Lots of pregnant teachers. I went to see my GP this evening. I managed to get an appointment after almost having a break down in the reception after being told next available apt was May 23rd.

GP was very supportive and prescribe d me cyclizine. I'll let you know how I get on. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now