Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters breaking at 23 weeks?!

(13 Posts)
Crumbles12 Sun 01-May-16 19:37:54

Hoping for some positive stories or reassurance!

I had a small leak this morning so went to the hospital fully expecting them to tell me it was just discharge or something, they examined me and said they could see no further fluid leaking but would run tests to see if my waters had broken. The tests came back as positive so have now been transferred to another more specialised neonatal hospital to be monitored. All the doctors and midwifes seem to have different views so I am feeling very confused at what will happen next. A scan showed the baby to still have a good amount of water surrounding her.

The consultant said I will be monitored throughout and may be delivered earlier at 34/36 weeks but the paediatrician explained the babies chances at this gestation and they are giving me steroid injections and antibiotics incase of possible labour. Am I likely to continue to term or do most women go into early labour after this?

Dixiechick17 Sun 01-May-16 20:28:35

I can't answer your questions as no experience of losing water early, but am sorry that you are going through this stress. Hope all goes well and that the baby stays put for as long as possible. Great that the baby still has water around her, I had to have steroid injections at 24 weeks and was monitored throughout for something else, so I understand some of the worry you must be feeling flowers

Make sure you write down any questions you have for future appointments with the consultant, it's easy to forget some when you are actually at the appointment.

letthefundusbegin Sun 01-May-16 20:46:17

Did they check your cervix or take swabs to test for fibronectin?

It may be that your cervix is still closed and that as you are not contracting that this is why they are happy to monitor closely and baby may stay put a while longer and you won't go into early labour.

Having said that, the fact that they are giving you steroids suggests that there is, as you're probably aware, still a chance you could go in to early labour.

Sounds like your hospital is on the ball though. There was a previous thread on here a couple of weeks ago with a lady who had her baby similarly early but as far as I know so far has had a good outcome (someone else may be able to link to this).

I second what the previous poster put about writing down questions to ask so that you feel you know exactly where you stand flowers

Crumbles12 Sun 01-May-16 21:13:24

Thank you both!

They checked my cervix which apparently all looked normal but took the swabs to be sure which is what came back positive.

It just all seems so confusing, one midwife will tell me it is precaution and it is likely I will still continue to term, and the next person will be preparing me for a preterm delivery, and doing all they can for if baby decides to come early. I just didn't know the chances of baby hanging on (even a few more weeks) once waters have starting going or if they can replenish themselves!

Smilelikeyoufeelit Sun 01-May-16 21:39:32

I had a leak at 24 weeks and delivered at 35 weeks. I had steroids when they first leaked and again at 34 weeks as I started having contractions. I was monitored throughout with twice weekly scans, swabs and blood tests. I spent a week or so in hospital when it first happened but was then home for the rest of my pregnancy, with the regular hospital visits. Right up to 35 weeks, there was sufficient fluid around the baby and I was told that it was replenishing itself. Everyone that I spoke to seemed to give me a different story. I was told that I would deliver in the next few days, by 30 weeks and that I'd possibly get close to term.
Ask lots of questions and Id second what someone said about writing down things as they occur to you.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 01-May-16 21:41:59

I had positive fibronectin tests which gave me an 80% chance of going into labour. I lasted another 6 weeks (31-37 weeks). That test doesn't mean much.

Crumbles12 Mon 02-May-16 08:41:32

Smile it's so good to hear a positive outcome, I suppose it's all a bit of a waiting game and no one really knows how it will go!

I'm just praying baby will hold on in there until the 30 week mark where the chances seem so much higher

WellErrr Mon 02-May-16 08:45:29

Really hope everything's ok Crumbles.

Do you mind me asking what prompted you to go in? How much was it? I'm 24 weeks and been having very heavy watery discharge, not sure what to do.

Crumbles12 Mon 02-May-16 12:45:28

I would get checked out Well, mine was sort of like when you get a heavyish period and feel it coming out (tmi!) just a small gush that I thought was probably just discharge but called the midwife for reassurance and they've tested the fluid and confirmed it to be amniotic fluid, definitely better safe than sorry at this early stage! It was only enough to half fill a small pantyliner, nothing like when my waters went at full term with my first DC. If you call your labour and delivery they can advise you but they treated mine really seriously I was expecting to get checked and get back home for tea!

JessieMcJessie Tue 03-May-16 20:53:36

OP so sorry to hear you are having such a stressful time. Hope you get some reassurance soon.

I am 23 weeks and yesterday when I went for a wee and stood up after wiping I noticed my pants were quite wet. I was worried it was amniotic fluid but convinced myself that I had actually just stood up too quickly and had a bit of extra wee come out! TMI but had a sniff of my discarded pants about 20 mins later and it smelled a bit like wee. Do you think I'd definitely know if it was my waters?

treehousethunderstorm Tue 03-May-16 21:14:01

I know what you are going through, it was a scary time initially. I lost my waters (a large gush) at 28 weeks over and was in hospital for 3 days for monitoring. Had the steroid injections as a precaution but did not go into labour. Was in twice a week for blood tests and fetal heart beat monitoring and was told that we would hopefully make it to 34 weeks. As I got to 32 weeks the consultant said that as everything was looking good, water levels good, and there were no infections we would try to get to 37 weeks before induction. Unfortunately I had a large bleed at 33 weeks, due to low lying placenta and had a c-section at 34 weeks. DD was born at 4lb 4oz and did not need a cot in scbu although it was expected she would. I think the steroids had something to do with this. We were home after 6 days when she could maintain her temp and feeding well. Now 12 weeks and still doing well.

Crumbles12 Thu 05-May-16 18:19:34

Jessie I don't think that sounds like your waters and it all sounds fine but I would definitely get checked out to be reassured, but if it was just that initial amount and no more leaking it probably was just wee! I always think better safe than sorry though as I almost ignored mine as just being discharge.

treehouse that is so lovely to hear, so glad your DD was born healthy in the end and everything worked out! I'm having to have twice weekly bloods and swabs also but have been allowed home for now! Just praying baby holds on, is there anything I can do to further prevent infections?

treehousethunderstorm Mon 16-May-16 10:31:22

Hi crumbles. I don't think there is really anything gets you can do to prevent infection although I did stick to showers, no baths. I don't know whether bathing would be a risk or not but it made me feel like I was doing something helpful.

Hope baby is holding on for you and there haven't been any further complications

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now