Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BBT CHART HELP NEEDED

(8 Posts)
Leanneosaurus Sun 01-May-16 11:05:44

Hi

Is there anyone that has an understanding of BBT charting that can help me understand it?

I'm currently going through a second miscarriage, the first on 18th September last year at exactly 6 weeks and this one on Thursday 28th April at exactly 9 weeks. The reason I'm asking about BBT charting is because the first time I got pregnant I hadn't charted but I know I did the deed on cycle day 18. I charted part of my cycle in January, the month before I got pregnant this time (I didn't record it) and there was a distinct drop in temp on cycle day 18. I got pregnant this time in February and I did record my chart but only from day 9 of my cycle (I've attached it to this post though it's not the clearest of pics) and once again there is a clear drop in temp on cycle day 18 and that's the day I did the deed again. I didn't try to get pregnant in January but both times I've done the deed on cycle day 18 is the day I've become pregnant.

Can I assume cycle day 18 is the day I ovulate? I have a 31 day cycle.

The reason I'm asking about BBT charting is because I'm led to believe that if you're pregnant then after ovulation the temp stays up and although I only have this one chart to go by, my temp was up and down after assumed ovulation and I just wanted to know if anyone has an idea of what this could mean. Perhaps it shows something that I don't realise that could indicate why both pregnancies have failed, I don't even know if that's possible but I guess I'm just trying to find reasons as to why I lost both babies and if there's anything at all I can do in the future to stop it happening again and basically just have a clearer understanding of what the chart indicates, Luteal phase defects etc.

I know any advise given won't be medical advise, only opinions, my doctor has already asked me to pop in and see him, I'm lucky I have a great doctor, but I just want to know as much as I can to help me do better for my baby next time.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

LumpishAndIllogical Sun 01-May-16 12:37:19

I am so sorry to hear this xx

I can't offer any advice but it may be helpful to also post this on the conception section, as there may be lots more clued up ladies TTC than in this section.

Good luck x

Leanneosaurus Sun 01-May-16 13:04:56

Thank you! I will take your advice smile

Seekingmiracles Sun 01-May-16 17:51:38

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. It's rubbish. I've had 4 and know full well how hard it is.
That dip is when you have ovulated. Your chart looks completely normal to me.
Luteal phase defects aren't that common and most Drs will probably disregard it unless your luteal phase was really short. Normal luteal phase is 12-14 days. This is counted from 1 day past ovulation (dpo) to cycle day 1 of your next cycle.
Are you having an erpc? If you are you can get the baby tested for chromosome abnormalities. You could also ask your gp to do some basic hormone tests.
Unfortunately the NHS don't typically look into miscarriages until you've had 3 consecutively - so unfair.

Leanneosaurus Sun 01-May-16 18:14:55

Hi

I'm fortunate enough, if that's even the right word, that on both occasions my body expelled the babies with no problems so no need for a ERPC which means there is no way to have the baby tested. My crummy body seems great at getting rid of my babies but not keeping them safe sad They did mention that they won't test until a third is lost which in some ways I understand but losing one is too many as it is! It sounds terrible but the next time I fall pregnant I'm thinking of it only in clinical terms. I fully expect I will lose it again so I'm refusing to think about it or get excited about it or love it until I know that it's safe and I'm well and truly into my second trimester......if I even get that far. I figure if I detach myself from it and the worst happens the it might not hurt as much and at the very least if I can then be tested and may find out if there is something wrong that can be fixed. Hopefully I've just been unlucky and the next one will be fine.

Thank you for giving your opinion on my chart. I'm please you think it looks normal, I was concerned about my luteal phase being up and down and dropping below my cover line because I've heard that's not a good thing but I don't know much about it really. From what I can gather I seem to ovulate on day 18 when I get the dip and my luteal phase is 11 days, would you agree?

Seekingmiracles Sun 01-May-16 22:16:43

It is very hard. But I think positivity is so important. I never for the life of me thought I'd have 3 after my 2nd let alone the 4th. In America they tend to test after 2, 3 is too many.
I wouldn't worry too much about your temp dipping in the luteal phase, it's mostly up above your pre-ov temps. And an 11 day luteal phase is fine. Mine was always 11/12. And that is just one chart, I would say you need about 6 months worth to see a real pattern.
You could speak to your gp about low dose aspirin, a lot of people take that for miscarriages. Even if there's no known blood issue.

smellsofelderberries Mon 02-May-16 10:00:41

Oh OP, I'm sorry you're going through this again. I bought the book recently 'Miscarriage: What Every Woman Needs to Know' by Lesley Regan. It's a wonderfully informative book and I got a lot out of it, and one statistic I found comforting: 1 in 20 women will have two miscarriages in a row, but only 1 in 100 will have three in a row.

There are tests you can ask your GP to run in the meantime, like clotting tests, as it could be a simple case of taking baby aspirin. Do go and talk to your GP though and see what they can do in the mean time. Good luck flowers

Leanneosaurus Mon 02-May-16 18:06:42

Thanks both for you advice. Not that it matters but I actually realised I was looking at my chart incorrectly and my luteal phase is 13 days (I hadn't taken the picture properly and it's only when I looked at it again this morning that I noticed) so I'm happy my luteal phase is OK. My Doctor has asked me to pop in and see him before I try again so I will ask him if I can have a progesterone test and blood clot test. I did have some blood tests with my first midwife appointment a couple of weeks ago but I'm not entirely sure what they test for. In the meantime I'm doing what I can, eating healthy, taking prenatal's and I've recently learnt how important zinc and vitamin C is so I'm eating lots of pumpkin seeds and taking 1000mg of vitamin C a day. Maybe next time will be my time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now