Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How mild are first contractions

(22 Posts)
Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 07:09:28

Hi all. I'm 36 weeks with my first so wasn't expecting anything soon, however for the last few days I've been leaking water? Def not pee and have now got really mild period like cramps. Is this the start of something? Oh is a 5 hour drive away

Whosthemummy16 Sun 01-May-16 07:11:21

If you've been leaking water you need to contact your midwife.

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 07:12:25

Phone the labour ward you need checking if your waters may be leaking

JoyofSpring Sun 01-May-16 07:17:39

Yes that could well be the start of labour. Could be your waters going or it could be cervical weeping as things start opening up but either way, as pp have said you need to contact your midwife ASAP to check.
Also to answer your question - first contractions can be exactly like mild period pain, the key is whether they start coming regularly. If it's labour they will get more and more frequent and increase in strength and duration as they ramp up. But it's different for everyone!
Good luck! smile

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 07:50:19

Thanks all I'll give them a call

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 07:55:54

Good luck op

From experience they will likely swab you to see if it is your waters

I once went and it wasn't blush

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 12:42:56

I called and she said to give it a couple of hours then call them back if it's still happening. Then in the same sentence she mentioned induction tomorrow. It's hard to explain what's coming out of you over the phone!

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 12:54:03

Did you say you had been leaking for days?

Stom91 Sun 01-May-16 12:55:09

If you've been leaking for a few days you really need to go in and be seen. You don't want baby running out of water xxx

SerenityReynolds Sun 01-May-16 12:59:24

If you're leaking fluid, definitely go in. Tell them you are when you call back. Basically if your membranes go but labour hasn't started within 24 hours, they need to induce you due to risk of infection. Both my labours started with slight waters going and then mild, period-type pains. Didn't need induction either time. Please call them back.

Heirhelp Sun 01-May-16 13:00:37

This is not right. You MUST ring them back and tell them that you are only 36 weeks and have been leaking water for days and tell them you ARE coming in immediately and then go straight to hospital.

In our trust as soon as waters are broken (no matter hiw many weeks) you have to go in for assessment as your baby is at risk of infection and they need to check that baby is not in distress. After 48 hours maximum, they prefer 24 hours you must be induced as the risk of infection increases. At only 36 weeks your baby's lung may not be fully developed and you will need steriod injections before birth.

I am sorry if this scary but you must act now.

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 13:51:15

Thanks all, I'm just away to call back

BeauGlacons Sun 01-May-16 13:54:55

Good Luck. Insist on speaking to the maternity ward sister.

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 13:55:27

Good luck op

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 14:39:40

Just away to head in to get checked out x

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 14:53:23

That's good!

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 18:09:06

It was my waters getting induced tomorrow

Afreshstartplease Sun 01-May-16 18:13:45

Glad you got checked out

Good luck for tomorrow

bessie84 Sun 01-May-16 19:20:59

been checking your thread. glad you got checked too. good luck for tomorrow x

Bigfam Sun 01-May-16 19:38:11

Well done for being persistent about being seen, all the best for tomorrow x

Littleelffriend Sun 01-May-16 19:57:37

Thanks everyone

BeauGlacons Sun 01-May-16 20:17:51

All the best. Did you take your charger? Sorry couldn't resist - haven't had a live birth thread for ages.

I was induced. Please let me reassure you. It was absolutely fine. Top tip. If they want to put up a syntocynin (sp) drip agree profusely, providing the epidural is in first and you are ready to roll with pain relief. My labour got going as they put in the epidural and they didn't switch the syntocynon on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now